My new A3 / S3 wheel arch liners. One for the A3 Turbo guys?

Markb

Reaction score
My new A3 / S3 wheel arch liners. With fitting pictures

As subject I had been meaning to carry out this mod for a while, but finally got around to it yesterday and today. I was hoping to trim the S3 wheel arch liners and get them to fit, but it wasn’t going to happen. So I had to fit the S3 vents into the A3 liners. Hopefully this mod will allow more air to my intercooler and cold air intake, and therefore help with performance.

Here are the pictures:

01cutouts3vent.jpg

S3 vent cut out from the S3 liner

02cutoutholefors3vent.jpg

Cut out made in the A3 liner to house the S3 vent

03surroundmadefors3vent.jpg

Backing plate made from off cuts from the cut out to hold the vent flush in place

04surroundinplacefors3vent.jpg

Trail fitting of the backing plate before fitment

05trialfittingvent.jpg

Trial fitting of the vent before fitment

06s3ventstickaflexedin.jpg

Vent bonded with Stickaflex and screwed in place

07selftappingthreadsremoved.jpg

Threads of the self tapping screws removed from the rear

08remainsofs3wheelarchliners.jpg

The remains of the S3 wheels arch liners LOL

09finishedarticlefront.jpg

The finished article from the front

10finishedarticlerear.jpg

The finished article from the rear, as you can see where the threads of the self tapers have been removed they have been painted to prevent rust

11finishedarticleinplace.jpg

The finished article in place

12finishedarticleinplace.jpg

Another picture of the finished article in place

So what do you think?

i would have thought the s3 wheel arch lining would have been the same as the a3 one just with the vent already, what was different abou t the lining, would like to know where you sourced the lining from too please, looks good really neat job

[ QUOTE ]
i would have thought the s3 wheel arch lining would have been the same as the a3 one just with the vent already, what was different abou t the lining, would like to know where you sourced the lining from too please, looks good really neat job

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that the S3 has got wider arches. That's why I thought with a bit of trimming they would fit.

I sourced the S3 liners from Audi only £20 each or something.

Oh yeah trevorb have you had any problems with the S3 lower brace hitting speed bumps etc..? Mine does, but it's lowered as well.

Tidy fabrication /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

yeah i didnt think about that, how long did it take you in all

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i didnt think about that, how long did it take you in all

[/ QUOTE ]

The first one I did probably took about 6 hours not knowing what I was doing. Once I knew what I was doing probably about 4 including the time applying the stickaflex and cutting the screw threads off.

i havent had any probs with the lower strut brace although mine isnt lowered, it is the standard strut brace though, makes quite a bit of difference for £15 aswell,

[ QUOTE ]
i havent had any probs with the lower strut brace although mine isnt lowered, it is the standard strut brace though, makes quite a bit of difference for £15 aswell,

[/ QUOTE ]

Got any pics of it fitted?

As this is mine very low:

lowerstrut01.jpg

lowerstrut02.jpg

Looks a good job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nice neat job!

Suprised you did both sides tho, but I guess it makes things symetrical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did both sides for intercooler and induction kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Looks very good and will definately help cool things down.

is there any possibility that water may get to the induction kit now?

is it worth doing if you haven't got an uprated induction kit?

I have made the same mod about 8 months ago it is a really cheap mod and you've made a really good job.

However I have to tell that if you know where to trim - the S3 wheel liner will fit the A3 wheel arch.

You only have to trim about 1/2 inch(maybe less) from the outside of the liner. I know it works cause thats the way I did mine, it took me about 45minutes to install. Most of the time spent trimming the liner 1/8 at a time...

Anyway thought I'd mention these cause I think is easier this way and I didn't have remove the bumber.

And Wicked666, yes it is worth doing at least from the side of the intercooler. For £20 you cant go wrong...

[ QUOTE ]
However I have to tell that if you know where to trim - the S3 wheel liner will fit the A3 wheel arch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gutted I started trimming them and it looked like there was no way they were going to fit due the fold over cover and other bits.

Oh well.