My new 1.8T QS Avanty

Daveiow

Reaction score
Here she is picked it ip on friday.. Have a few plans for it over the next few months so will update as things happens:
Pretty god overall, interior is lovley and its all ready got a milltek fitted.
FIRSTWASH004.jpg
|

FIRSTWASH005.jpg

FIRSTWASH007.jpg

FIRSTWASH006.jpg

FIRSTWASH023.jpg

First things are to get it all sorted so next weekend it will be having a cablet, water pump and tensionor, serivice and some new wheels. Then once its had a full check over Ill knwo if theres any spare cash...lol

Looks nice. Every quattro sport i see the blue stands out in the seats well but mine are pretty dull even after a good scrub.

Looks mint mate, and wheels look brand new, should be able to make some good dough back on them.

wheels arent as good as they look. But they will be up for slae.. What are they worth then ?? (good tyres) just some curbage

interested in the wheels and tyres mate. pm me with a price and location. car looks very tidy.

I struggled to get 400 quid on a mint refurbed set and even then they went to Germany!!

car looks very tidy, mirror image of mine when I picked it up....been a bit bastardised since then

I paid < £100 for a set of 5 with 3 knackered tyres, in average condition.

4 of them had been refurbed previously, but were a bit scraped and scratched here and there, the 5th one hadnt been refurbed, and the laquer was peeling and the rim all corroded.

Car looks very tidy, but its silver :(

I was looking at this one but a little above budget for me. Looked a very tidy example though. You must be very happy. :)

dont listen to him! Silver is for winners.
His car is "Beere Pearl" whatever that is...only pearl I can think of right now is a pearl neclace which makes his colour too close to jism for comfort IMO! :0

I have a set for sale. Tyres need replacing and lacquer is peeling on all four wheels. Definitely need a refurb, but all straight with no cracks etc. Would sell for cheap.

I was looking at this one but a little above budget for me. Looked a very tidy example though. You must be very happy. :)

I manged to get best part of a grand knocked off as I took as is with warrenty etc

I paid < £100 for a set of 5 with 3 knackered tyres, in average condition.

4 of them had been refurbed previously, but were a bit scraped and scratched here and there, the 5th one hadnt been refurbed, and the laquer was peeling and the rim all corroded.

Sikver wasnt my first choice would have prefered red or black but it just down the road from my mothers and we were visiting so thought might as well have a look

Also ordered a new key/serive bits/rear spoiler today (all Audi stuff as I work at the stealers ;) )

needs service, cambelt, key and clutch is quite high. And as im in the trade they agreed to trade it to me

Its pretty good. But I have quite high standards... So I will be doing quite a few bits soon. Taking it to work tomorow to get a tech to give it a good going over to see else it needs..lol

well bit of an update:

Took the car to work today to get it looked over properly to see what ive let my self in for and now have ordered the following:

Oil cooler
Multi belt tensionor
cam cover seal kit
drivers door top hinge
NSF outer cv gaitor
gear shift oil seal
Rear diff oil/ gearbox oil
Water pump belt

On a plus note parts had an overage water pump in stock which I got for £5

That's nice. It's exactly what I'll be looking at for the next A4 purchase!

Cheers Geeman. If my golf had sold quicker I would have been rining you to view yours!!! Also you have a pm need some wheel help!

Lol I must admit Im very impressed with it so far handling/performace etc.. Wife loves it compared to teh 2 mk4 1.8Ts we had before..

Dave: Working for audi, how do you find the car compares to the newer B6/7/8 models in terms of drivability/handling/feel etc?

Well compared to our demo 2.0 140 Tdi B8 s-line it seems to handle slightly better, but I must admit I dont tend to drive the audis that often as we are a small dealer so demos arnt great. We are a multi franchise place (merc/vw/audi/smart) ALthough I sell all 4 brands I tend to drive a vw.. Current demo is either one of these:

GolfCleanandrocco023.jpg

or

Brands2009DTMRace002.jpg

well got some new wheels fitted yesterday:

wheelsnewandold009.jpg

Wealso did the rocker cover gasket| ( I could not belve how much oil there was in the plug sockets!!!) and also replaced the cv gaitor as well.. So still quite a few thinsg to do but going in after work on tuesday for another few hours of sorting

Very nice avant. Did you buy it from Bognor Regis?

There was one advertised for sale there that sounded nice but I was too busy to get down there.

yes for sale at Bognor. I was visiting my mum who lives just down teh road from bognor so thought Id have a look.. Ending up buying it ( was orginally going to get an s3 for the wife to replace her mk4 golf)

yes for sale at Bognor. I was visiting my mum who lives just down teh road from bognor so thought Id have a look.. Ending up buying it ( was orginally going to get an s3 for the wife to replace her mk4 golf)

Eh? You were going to replace your wife's car but decided to buy one for you instead? When's she filing the divorce papers then? :D

Lol this is her car.. I get a nice shiney new company one..lol She had a 1.8t golf before this and wanted an S3 but just happen to see this and she quite liked it so thought wed give it a go..

Although ive plouged quite a bit of cash in so far sorting bits out (im a bit of a perfectionist with cars)

Looks nice but the list of to do items would have killed the deal for me. Good that you work for audi and can get it all done at a better price.

Am sure the ad said fsh, no mention of all the work that needed doing. Am sure they would have mentioned it if I had called.

Looked at a silver one in Maidenhead that is still advertised on autotrader as it was closer than Bognor for me, was a bit rough with black treacle for oil, but the dealer selling selling it put me right off. Arrogant sod who started off the conversation after we arrived by listing a set of rules for viewers of his cars and then showed me a car in a dark barn wedged so closely to other cars I couldn't see all the panels. If anyone is thinking of seeing this one I really wouln't bother.

So my search continues, look forward to seeing how your car progresses.

Most of the bits perhaps dont need doing now.. But I asked a tech to go through the car and tell me any fualts. The main things that it needed were the cambelt and service and the cv boot. These I noticed when I got it.

Its nearly done now just going to chnage the oil in the gearbox and diff on Monday. Then I can concentrate on improving handling/braking and performance ;)

But so far:

New Key
Oil and filter change
Oil Cooler
Water pump
Cambelt kit
CV Boot
Gearbox selector oil seal
Rocker cover gasket
Piper cross air filter
Multi belt tensionor
Water pump belt
AC Belt

and 9 hours of labour. Yet to get the bill for parts yet though...lol

why the air filter?

Oiled filters only serve to knacker the AFM, and serve no performance benefits whatsoever.

Stock paper filter handles over 500hp in an S4 with no problems.

Its not an oiled one and as I needed to replace the one that was in there I thought why not. I wouldnt have bothered if it was an oiled one!

Should add its just a panel filter and not a chavvy cone jobbie ;)

There not mate! Well acording to teh one ive bought and the box it states that its not oiled and its a dry filter

From the pipercross website, cleaning instructions for the A4 Panel filter PP1443:

The cleaning of a Pipercross air filter should be carried out as below. Failure to do this could result in damage to the air filter or even the vehicle.

1. Remove excess dirt by gently brushing the filter.
  2. Apply cleaning additive (C9003 or C9000) liberally. Massage in with soft brush. Allow to soak for around 5 minutes.
  3. Flush the filter out with warm water from the clean side of the foam to the dirty side.
  4. Allow the filter to dry naturally (do not apply any heat to the filter!!)
  5. Lightly apply dirt retention additive (C9007 or C9001) on the dirty (black) side of the foam.
Steps 2-4 may need to be repeated until the filter is clean. Do not over oil the foam as this will cause a lack of performance.

The bold on point 5 is mine, becuase that "dirt retention additive" is oil.

Paper is the only effective air filter for an engine, which is why its the only filter element fitted by OEMs the world over. If performance car manufacturers could gain horsepower using a free-flowing filter like these, with no disadvantages, dont you think they'd be fitting them?

The whole point of these "performance" filters, is they use a much coarser filter element, which flows better, but also lets all manner of ***** thru. To try to compensate for this a little, they oil the filter element in an attempt to catch some of the crap thats getting thru. It still doesnt work, and the engines filtration is much worse, but now your AFM is also getting covered in oily gunk to boot. Some people clean the filter but then miss out the oiling step, but then if your going to do that, you may as well just stick an old sock over the inlet, as the filtration effectiveness would be about the same.

So whats the part number on it?

Just because they supply it "unoiled" doesnt mean its intended to be used unoiled...

Their filtration is bad enough WITH the oil, never mind without it.

been busy over the past 2 weeks finishing of some of the jobs on my list. Gearbox oil and rear diff oil, coded new key, fitted forge 007 valve, Hid's, fitted s4 grill. Also dropped rear spoiler of to be painted. And fitted our plate on the car.
hidsandplates004.jpg

hidsandplates005.jpg

hidsandplates006.jpg

hidsandplates007.jpg

hidsandplates008.jpg

hidsandplates010.jpg

hidsandplates009.jpg

All good so far apart from the wife is missing her mk4 golf like mad so I may even have to sell up soon. Hopeing once the school term starts she will drive it a bit more and get used to it.. She wanted a ****** avant and no says its to big. :(