Cracking thread lad...great reading.
Hope the last steps go well.

People should take note: this is a proper build thread and considerably more than the "tufftybloke's S3 minor modding thread" title suggests. Fitting a CTR aerial and painting callipers is not a build thread...this is exactly what is.
Keep it up! :icon_thumright:

any ideas on fuel consumption on these BT's when driven normally??? if that is at all possible :D

In theroy there is no reason for them to be much off normal when off boost, but thats not really the point now is it........:racer:

mpg will be worse.. from the ones I've seens and done to date
630cc injectors in there and some airflow to support.

cruising *should* be ok....ish.. in theory, but it does'nt seem to work out like that in practice.. AFR at cruising is still lambda of 1 and should be consumming the same volume of air for the low load.

Looking good there. What exhaust you hooking this up to? Out of curiosity.

Looking good there. What exhaust you hooking this up to? Out of curiosity.

Got your prize to get bolted up from Audis In The Park Tuffty?.. 3"?

I got in touch with them a while back but they suggested I wait until I get the DP on etc so they can mate the system up right so will take it back up with them once the car is done...

Looking essentially to get a custom 2 box 3" system made up for it... with OEM looking tail pipes of course ;P

<tuffty/>

ok... small update concerning the exhaust situation...

I contacted Tip Top Exhausts (provider of the £200 voucher I won in the charity raffle at Audi's in the Park) about an exhaust and they quoted me £495 which I thought was a bit steep tbh... I checked their website and they do a similar system for a TT for £280 so I questioned this.... I also noted they did 3" systems for scoobies for a fairly solid price of £320... I did get a further quote of £395 for a 3" system which in fairness is not a bad price.

There is a little more to this that I won't go into but needless to say the email conversations didn't really seem to resolve anything (not like the conversations I have had with other people I have dealt with such as Alex from AH who is very helpful)

Anyway, I still questioned as to why they can build systems for TT's which share the floorpan of an A3/S3 (the website didn't suggest the price was any different for a quattro or FWD) and has the conversation basically ended with no 'helpful' solutions as to a resolution of this...

I am not going to bother slagging Tip Top off as its not my style and as I have already said, £395 for a 3" system is not a bad price but their communication style didn't sit well with me and there are cheaper alternatives out there. They are a fair distance from me and I think I will look closer to home for an exhaust solution.

<tuffty/>

No recomendation for them then?

Their loss mate as you have a lot of dedicated followers that may have been following you in the same direction of build suppliers etc.

My miltek system isnt a bad item. just couple the custom down pipe to the cat bypass section. It looks stock but rear box is shiney...

miltek works ok on mine mate.
failing that..... powerflow:moa:

Mine the un resonated typle. sounds a little deeper on idle but when given the beans... Nice and sporty ( but not ott )

for custom, go for Pipewerx, for stock go Miltek.

No recomendation for them then?

Their loss mate as you have a lot of dedicated followers that may have been following you in the same direction of build suppliers etc.

No comment to make either way mate to be honest, I'll just take my business elsewhere.

hi paul
this is a great thread
what wheelspacers are you using?
cheers scott

Thanks mate, I'll get back to you shortly about the PM you sent earlier.... I have 15mm Eibach spacers on the back which are quite expensive at the moment with the euro being bonkers... My fronts are 10mm but I got them from ESP Engineering who have a shop on ebay...

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/espengtn6/m.html

Paid £45 on 'Make an offer'.... work a treat and they do15mm spacers too. Bolts were a little long but I cut them down and they are fine.

Thanks to everyone else for exhaust suggestions... I will prob go with my original choice of MIJ Exhausts for which there is another thread here with an offer on at the moment.

<tuffty/>

Hello my Big Turbo chums.... tonights update....

EGT probe has now been fitted. The mani was spot faced as there wasn't enough metal to allow the normal fitment of the probe so the probe was welded to the nut in the correct position and screwed in using a copper washer to seal it.
20090914_CRW_3644.jpg

The problem of the missing reducer is now sorted... a drilled insert has been welded into the oil feed banjo bolt (turbo end)
20090914_CRW_3647.jpg

Fitted the mani and turbo to my head!! WooHoo
20090914_CRW_3649.jpg

20090914_CRW_3653.jpg

20090914_CRW_3654.jpg

So, the good news is that tomorrow night I will be able to get the head fitted. Got a few things to do in the morning like pick up some bits from Audi (bought 13 exhaust nuts as a precaution and they cost £1.55 each!!! + vat) and wait for the posty as he should have my plugs (BKR8EIX) then off to do final prep for getting the head on.

The list of things left to do just doesn't seem to end but the DP and custom TIP needs to be fabricated, inline fuel pump fitted and fuel filter relocated and of course putting the engine bay back together with all the stuff I had to remove etc..

It would appear that I was a little optimistic hoping to get it all done in 2 weeks and while we had no major probs, there were a couple of minor hurdles to overcome and its the fiddly bits that will take time.

Still may have to extend the wiring for the injector rail as the 630cc injectors are taller and I am also using a phenolic insulator on the inlet mani which makes it all a bit taller.

With that in mind and with Bill mate going off on a much deserved holiday, the car may not be fired up until at least he is back. Still, gives me time to get everything sorted right and I want it to be right.

More next time my BT chums etc...

<tuffty/>

ok... small update concerning the exhaust situation...

I contacted Tip Top Exhausts (provider of the £200 voucher I won in the charity raffle at Audi's in the Park) ....... blah blah

<tuffty/>

well you wouldn't swap me for my air fresheners would you! just to let you know they still smell great. hehe

On to more serious stuff though... this is going to be awesome good work mate :thumbsup:

Is that a stainless 90 degree bend welded onto the upper boost pipe ?

well you wouldn't swap me for my air fresheners would you! just to let you know they still smell great. hehe

LOL!!!

On to more serious stuff though... this is going to be awesome good work mate :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, all support is appreciated....

Is that a stainless 90 degree bend welded onto the upper boost pipe ?

not actually sure what the angle is, its not 90 degrees.... Bill had a load of SS tubing that came with an ebay intercooler kit he was evaluating... I just offered up bits of that and found a bend that looked like it would do the job... seems to work :)

<tuffty/>

I was thinking more about the welding.
Im not having a go. But it looks a bit rough. i know it can be shaven down and polished but... is the inside smooth??
Also. Isnt there an inline restrictor available for "gt" turbos to work on VAG cars??

I thought it was really neat, isnt it uber hard to weld mild to stainless??

Which bit is mild steal?
The upper boost pipe is stainless. thats why i asked if the bend was stainless too. I could well and truely understand if one was mild and the other stainless

It was TIG welded and looks fine to me. All things considered, smooth or not it is what it is... could it be made smoother? maybe... would it make that much difference in the real world? not sure it would. Before this sparks another one of those discussions, I don't want to get into that whole 'nth' degree tuning nonsense, if I was that bothered about extracting the last possible drop of BHP/flow/whatever, I would go top mount, flow the head (large port even), do the valves etc, etc.... ad infinitum... I am simply not that bothered...

I didn't want another charge pipe fabricated and probably could have spent more time on it but it does the job and I am more than happy with the result.

The restrictor is best placed where the oil feed pipe connects to the turbo. They do come in various types but mine was supposed to be a 'kit' supplied by PAG parts and as such should have contained everything required...

Most restrictors I have seen are a coupler that is screwed into the turbo then the oil pipe screws onto that. This is fine for a top mount turbo but there isn't much room on my underslung config so a banjo type connection was supplied.

The banjo bolt had no restrictor in it hence the mod.

<tuffty/>

Tuffty. Please calm down !
I simply asked.
If i wanted to slate something... i would,
I dont. what im asking was part of an observation. I asked as many people i know fabricate in stainless and can make it quite tidy. That said im told a tidy weld isnt always a strong weld. the penitration ( ive spelt that wrong i know) matters. To be sure you will not have a problem with a crack or anything later down the line.

There are many diffrent ways to do just about any job... dont have a go as soon as i try and work out which route will be best for me.

Been a mixed bag of a day....

Started by sorting out some jobs I needed to do before lifting the head on. Cleaned out the head bolts threads in the block, fitted the THS gearbox mount, made sure stuff was out of the way so as not to impede the fitting of the head then moved onto looking at fitting the inline pump. I wanted to fit this out of the way so I am looking to fit it where the fuel filter is currently located and look to relocate the filter.

I have been mocking up the fitment and pipework and will finish it off when the head has been fitted.
20090915_CRW_3656.jpg

20090915_CRW_3660.jpg

20090915_CRW_3661.jpg

.... this evening hasn't been the best... all geared up for putting the head on complete with turbo and mani and the head would sit right... thought it maybe a trapped pipe or just not on the dowels properly but no... the comp housing was well and truly hitting the transfer box!! :banghead:

This is where it was 'touching'...
20090915_CRW_3664.jpg

...so drilled around thus...
20090915_CRW_3665.jpg

...and removed using a little assistance...
20090915_CRW_3666.jpg

...still some more to remove...
20090915_CRW_3668.jpg

...and some more...
20090915_CRW_3673.jpg

20090915_CRW_3675.jpg

I am going to sort all that out tomorrow, I also noticed I managed to cut through the oil level sensor wiring while removing the old turbo bracket with a disc cutter (DOH!!) and that our lovely oil drain needs modding to fit (again) and the water pipe from the turbo to the block will foul the driveshaft!!!

Left the workshop tonight feeling very sorry for myself as both Bill and I were told this kit would fit a quattro tranverse engined car.... not without some Badger 5 magic I think... and a hammer :whistle:

Ah well... more next time... and hopefully the head will be on...

<tuffty/>

tuffty why do you do this to us, well manly me i am now even more tempted to go big turbo now have been thinking about it for a long time and reading throw your thread makes me think that maybe ill be needing a bigger budget was it a must to change the pistons and rods for this size of turbo because that was something i was trying to avoid doing, is badger going to do a "kit" as such for the 1.8t because i would be very interested if he would, as hes a little to far away for me to drive there and would love the easy of a pre-made kit were no modification would be needed
thanks marc

Put these down to teething problems mate,you are doing a great job. It looks like you will have that head on today, as i can assume you are going to clearence the crap out ot later.......

Couldnt the mani have beem milled?
If it was to raise the turbo up couldnt a little have been taken off the face where the turbo bolts to it? Obviously not all of it just a little to help? Or maybe mill the face that bolts to the head on a slight angle to raise the turbo?
How much meet is there in the transfer box before u see the oily insides?
If this is a kit bill hopes to sell i would be looking for mods to the kit if possible rather than customers cars. Just to save "down time "
The battle continues...

tuffty why do you do this to us, well manly me i am now even more tempted to go big turbo now have been thinking about it for a long time and reading throw your thread makes me think that maybe ill be needing a bigger budget was it a must to change the pistons and rods for this size of turbo because that was something i was trying to avoid doing, is badger going to do a "kit" as such for the 1.8t because i would be very interested if he would, as hes a little to far away for me to drive there and would love the easy of a pre-made kit were no modification would be needed
thanks marc

I didn't change the pistons or rings just cleaned them up however a rod change is an absolute must running this sort of power... its not the BHP thats the issue here its the torque. My turbo is capable of over 350ftlbs of it and anything much over 300ftlbs is getting iffy... 320ftlbs+ and its a lottery as to if you just bend one or stick one through the block...

You have seen the pics side by side of the OEM v uprated rods so I think its a small price to pay for piece of mind.

There is no pre-made kit available at this time plus Bill fabricates to the car rather than produces pieces for a given car. I would suggest you have a conversation with him directly for more info as he has more experience than me on this and would be able to advise you best.

No BT conversion is without a certain amount of modification in my experience and my car is certainly living up to it. It may not be as bad as some I have seen (see the link to the Polo further up this thread) but comes with the territory.

<tuffty/>

Put these down to teething problems mate,you are doing a great job. It looks like you will have that head on today, as i can assume you are going to clearence the crap out ot later.......

I have slept on it now and fine about it... it was just a downer when it happened as I was all geared up for getting the head on and we hit the problem that non of us anticipated... meh :)

Couldnt the mani have beem milled?
If it was to raise the turbo up couldnt a little have been taken off the face where the turbo bolts to it? Obviously not all of it just a little to help? Or maybe mill the face that bolts to the head on a slight angle to raise the turbo?
How much meet is there in the transfer box before u see the oily insides?
If this is a kit bill hopes to sell i would be looking for mods to the kit if possible rather than customers cars. Just to save "down time "
The battle continues...

This is one of the options we discussed... there is a little that can be removed from the turbo mating face on the mani if all else fails. I see what you mean about the head face, it is quite thick there. I am sure Bill will have read this by the time I see him anyway. For the time being I am going to finish up the clearancing with have already done.

The gearbox/transfer box is pretty chunky and bits that have been removed are superficial rather than encroaching on the case thickness itself.

Bill has a spare gearbox and transfer box kicking around and is going to create a rig to sit it all on for mocking this kinda stuff up so he can see the probs before fitting to the car.

Trouble is, he was told by the supplier that this kit would fit a quattro transverse engine VAG car...

tuffty - is it going to be ready for castle coombe. are you taking it on the track. are you local to castle coombe.

Sincerely hope it will be ready. I haven't decided if I will track it as yet but will be taking the kids out on the parade lap at least.

<tuffty/>

the comp housing is very close on the top side also, which if you did mill a little off either face (mani or turbo) the comp housing would be as close ans touching above as below.. shoe horning a GT30 into this space is a challenge.. I seem to be using that word forever on the stuff I am working on - lol

Its on now. heads on by tuffty earlier this evening, and there's bags of clearance.. must be a whole 1mm now :D

Casual day today as I know I am not gonna finish the car before Bill goes away and I am back at work next week :(

Priority was to fettle the transfer box and comp housing and jiggle the mani about to try and give me more clearance.

After a little playing about I was ready to try it out. Lifted the head into the engine bay (quite heavy with a GT30 turbo on it) and located it gasketless on the dowels... so far so good... previous attempts had the head not sitting down on the back, now it rocked pivoting on the back... looking good... had a butchers underneath and result!! it clears and the head sits square on the block...

Tight but more than enough clearance :D
(not massively obvious from this angle I know but trust me its there...)
20090916_CRW_3695.jpg

I then moved on to have a look at how to fab the TIP... I wanted to use a hump hose off the turbo initially so that it would help prevent vibrations from the engine (stiffer mounts now) destroying MAF's however....

20090916_CRW_3677.jpg

...exiting straight out the turbo inlet isn't an option... too small a gap for 3" pipework and straight into the gear linkage... everything about this build seems to present its own challenges :)

So I tried a different approach by coming up and out of the turbo at 90 degrees towards the back then work it back to the airbox. Bill came up with an idea for a variation and it looks like the TIP will consist of a couple of 90 degree silicon hoses for the MAF and turbo with a 90 degree alloy pipe and a 45 degree alloy pipe to make up the rest.

Pics of the TIP mock up...
20090916_CRW_3692.jpg

20090916_CRW_3693.jpg

While I was waiting for Bill to pop into the workshop after work, I thought I would do something about the coil pack wiring as quite frankly it was shocking.....
20090916_CRW_3690.jpg

Heat had got the better of the insulation so I patched the breaks up with tape and reloomed it...

Bill finished work and turned up at the workshop, had a quick look around the turbo and said that it looks ok so....

20090916_CRW_3694.jpg

...Woo (actual) Hoo!!! the head is now bolted on... phew!!! next problem please!! :D

tomorrows job... connecting stuff up and getting some bits together for the TIP...

<tuffty/>