<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.tuffty.co.uk
I have been applying subtle tweaks to my S3 since I bought it back in October 2008.

I have not made a big thing about my tweaks as I like the sleeper appeal of a car looking pretty standard hiding all sorts of untold silly nonsense...

My most public tweak to date has been my efforts to secure a decent FMIC and this tale can be found in the stickies here:

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=75425

I have been after a turbo conversion of sorts for a little while now as everything is more or less in place ready for this next step. I have spent a bit of time over at Badger Bill's and have seen Matt20vt's big turbo A3 become a reality (and I have also been out in this very fast machine too), various SEAT Ibiza's and Leon's with all sorts of tuning goodies thrown at them (those SEAT boys aren't shy) and more recently a VW Polo with a GT30!!!, I wasn't convinced I wanted the agro of going BT and just thought I go K04 hybrid and 3" downpipe as I like the idea of the engine bay retaining its OEM look. However..... after another trip to see my good friend Badger Bill last week, its almost as if he has been reading my mind as setup on his spare engine when I walked in was....

IMG_3496.jpg

...an underslung GT3071R with a an 0.62 hotside (PAG Parts mani).... :hubbahubba:

Yes, you've guessed it... this is now destined for my car :jump:

Rods, injectors and various other parts are now on order with a mind to get this fitted early September and hopefully done and mapped ready for the Castle Combe Audi track day in October...

I will update this thread with more info and of course pics of the build progress... in the mean time, here are more pics of the turbo...

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayne_Iow, andrew_wright and AdzA3AGU
looking forward to this one! Good choice mate.

so have you been out i hybrid s3's or the like also before chosing to go big turbo instead???

ooooh tufty VERY nice...... ahem dont mean to be rude...approximate costs?

Looks good, can see the polo in the background.

So what bhp/torque figures are you hoping for and what will the power band be like?

so have you been out i hybrid s3's or the like also before chosing to go big turbo instead???

I haven't been out in a hybrid S3 but Bill has done a couple of Leons and Ibizas with the CR Turbo K04 with K03 fitments and says they are good but need other mods to make them worthwhile. He does have an S3 in next week for a hybrid too but doesn't know if any other mods have been done.

All the BT stuff I have seen done revolved around top mounting on tubular manifolds and loads of fabrication work which is costly and doesn't sit with my desire for the OEM looking sleeper style I prefer.

I saw this though and thought 'this could actually work!!'... Essentially it will more or less hook up to all the pipework I currently have needing a custom TIP built (but will look OEM like) and the connection fromthe turbo to the S3 charge pipe round the engine. I have all the other stuff in place.

I was gonna build a 2ltr stroker then fit a hybrid to it with the intention to go BT later, this seems a more sensible approach and more cost effective.

<tuffty/>

ooooh tufty VERY nice...... ahem dont mean to be rude...approximate costs?

Not really sure yet, not too much as I am gonna be doing most of the stuff myself. Bill and Tony will be doing the fabrication work though. Bill is gonna work it all out for me this week... maybe 3k ish??? any cheaper and I will be happy but I have offered Bill my soul and as yet he hasn't refused LOL!!

Looks good, can see the polo in the background.

So what bhp/torque figures are you hoping for and what will the power band be like?

The turbo can flow for over 400bhp (near 450?) but thats running quite high boost in the 1.8bar region, I am looking to run it around 1.2 to 1.4 bar and see what happens as I want reliability and consistency rather than big numbers as its a daily driver. Guessing the torque will be mid 300's but just have to see what happens... The 0.62 hotside should give me a decent spool and things should start happening early 3k and be on it by 4k all the way to the redline.

I do plan on doing a full rebuild on the engine when finances allow and prob going 2ltr. Depends on the power curve I get once its all done... if its still wanting to make power at the redline then I will sort the top end out with supertech gear and get the rev limit raised in the map, if the spool needs a little help, I'll stroke the engine to 2ltr and rebore to 82.5mm to help that out but can't see the point in spending that amount if I won't benefit from it. Like I said, not after a rocket ship, just an RS3 ;P

We're meant to be in recession haha. Good luck matey

Thanks, I will be selling anything that isn't bolted down on ebay shortly and already have a buyer for the stuff I am removing so I am hoping that it won't cost me that much more than I would have paid going hybrid tbh...

<tuffty/>

Nice one Paul. This will be a really nice build. How will the power delivery of the GT30 be on a 1.8?

Nice one Paul. This will be a really nice build. How will the power delivery of the GT30 be on a 1.8?

A very good question... simple answer is I don't know... I will be having discussions with Bill on this when the time comes. I will be trying to get it mapped to be as progressive as possible though rather than a huge lump. Matts A3 with a GT2871 feels very nice so if its close to that I will be happy.

<tuffty/>

you gave in then mate! lol
good luck with it!
2 "ordinary" looking big turbo audis in stroud now

2871 on my stock bore engine spools around 3400ish rpm. dyno day on sunday so can post graphs in my build thread.

you gave in then mate! lol
good luck with it!
2 "ordinary" looking big turbo audis in stroud now

aye... the roads will be ours MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! etc

:busted_cop: its only a 1.8 officer...

<tuffty/>

ooooh £3k would be very tempting for this type of conversion...... If that is the final fig ;)

ooooh £3k would be very tempting for this type of conversion...... If that is the final fig ;)

Very ballpark atm Tim, just remember I am doing most of the spanner work myself and of course you will get 'cash back' if you sell on the stuff you take off.

I am essentially buying a turbo, manifold, rods, custom downpipe, custom TIP plus all the extra bits like gaskets, head bolts shell bearings and anything else I find that needs replacing.

I am lucky that I can work on the car at Bills place as I am local although we haven't discussed the cost of ramp time yet.

I will do my usual full build write up and bung in a cost break down. As with the FMIC, I am trying to get this done without having to spend a fortune but without compromising the end result.

Obviously if you do not or cannot do the spanner work yourself then this will affect the overall cost, also bear in mind Bill and Tony build downpipes to the car rather than to a pattern so the car would need to be at Bill's for this to happen really.

<tuffty/>

no worries mate..... im confident in doing the work myself and have 3 mechanics as neighbours so am sure i can solve most issues..... just the prospect of a BT on the S3 is V nice but not 6K 'very nice' if you follow.....3k is far more realistic and i have JBS down the road.....

not sure what they are like on custom manifolds though and extremely confident given Bill's previous builds..... leaves me with a dilemma as i live in sheffield :D

You could always get the rods in where you are then get Bill to fit the turbo/mani/DP/TIP as the bulk of the labour will be fabrication. It may add a couple of hours to the final invoice but you can't really fit the turbo/mani and drive it down :)

I am changing the rods at Bills over a couple of evenings and fitting up the turbo/mani where he will take over and fabricate the DP/TIP.

Then its a case of mapping which his stage 3 mapping is £550+vat IIRC...

<tuffty/>

going to watch this with intrest mate, cant wait to see how it spools. will you run it on 1800motor, then go 2.0l in future?

might be a plan tufts..... will keep an eye on your build im thinking..... cheers buddy ;)

going to watch this with intrest mate, cant wait to see how it spools. will you run it on 1800motor, then go 2.0l in future?

That is the plan... really depends on if there is any real benefit from it tbh... no point in spending all that money on a head rebuild if it won't produce anymore power beyond the factory redline, same with stroking to 2ltr.

Gonna wait and see the end result, if there is more power etc to be found then yeah, 2ltr FTW ;P

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Mav190sline
Sounds very interesting. I certainly couldn't afford it but i like reading other peoples efforts. I'd consider a hybrid if my turbo failed though!!

Hey all,

I have been in touch with Bill over the last few days and hope that the Hybrid S3 he is talking about is mine!! (I am just waiting to hear back that he can do it next week as he has a race weekend coming up).

Only mods to the car as it stands are Forge 007P, Green Panel, Jetex Cat back and Custom Code Stage 1 map.

CR Turbos will be hybridizing my turbo and Bill will then be remapping the car with Custom Code stage 2.

As in a previous thread, I am only going for the upgrade as I think my std turbo is on its way out and CR Turbos ooffer a decent price for hybridizing.

Bill has said he will probably need the car for just over a week so I will post the results then.

Cheers!

I haven't been out in a hybrid S3 but Bill has done a couple of Leons and Ibizas with the CR Turbo K04 with K03 fitments and says they are good but need other mods to make them worthwhile. He does have an S3 in next week for a hybrid too but doesn't know if any other mods have been done.

All the BT stuff I have seen done revolved around top mounting on tubular manifolds and loads of fabrication work which is costly and doesn't sit with my desire for the OEM looking sleeper style I prefer.

I saw this though and thought 'this could actually work!!'... Essentially it will more or less hook up to all the pipework I currently have needing a custom TIP built (but will look OEM like) and the connection fromthe turbo to the S3 charge pipe round the engine. I have all the other stuff in place.

I was gonna build a 2ltr stroker then fit a hybrid to it with the intention to go BT later, this seems a more sensible approach and more cost effective.

<tuffty/>
i have it the other way, i have been out in a hybrid s3 but not a big turbo s3, the hybrid seems to pull very well through the revs and definantly feels faster then a remapped s3, but since then i have fitted my 3 inch downpipe and now the turbo spools much quicker and higher up the revs however it now feels less turbo like as there's so little lag which im not sure i like as i like the nothing to wow sortof power. im now thinking of possibly doing a gt28rs eliminator with the jbs k04 maifold if they ever make it maybe then ill get that turbo feel back :racer:

Hey all,

I have been in touch with Bill over the last few days and hope that the Hybrid S3 he is talking about is mine!! (I am just waiting to hear back that he can do it next week as he has a race weekend coming up).!

I think you will be Ok... he blew the engine up on his race car last weekend at Castle Combe... not a happy bunny...

<tuffty/>

engine headgasket failed... and seems the Denso plugs aint up to the job either. cermamics broken off and injested... doh!

the joys of testing new stuff and pushing the limits..

back rebuilt and better/stronger in due course.
not many folks the wrong side of 600bhp to pull from experiences... so new path

Reactions: andrew_wright
I'd put money on you spending a lot more than that but this is an interesting one to watch thanks

I'd put money on you spending a lot more than that but this is an interesting one to watch thanks

LOL, thanks Jase... you knows it!! ;P

I do intend to try and keep the costs down as best I can. Hardware costs what it costs, can't get away from that but if you source it right then there are saving to be had.

Labour tends to be the killer, thankfully I am handy with the spanners and Bill is local to me so that will help alot.

As a side note, I have ordered the rods and injectors which should be here shortly. I'll put pics up when they arrive.

<tuffty/>

Stuff from the states hasn't arrived yet. Not planning on getting the work started though until early September as thats the earliest I can get time off work.

Will post pics randomly as (and when) kit turns up...

<tuffty/>

Picked up a box of goodies this morning from Parcel Farce...

IMG00037-20090808-1544.jpg

Not the best pic I know but its the rods (http://www.intengineering.com/VW/Rods/Integrated-Engineering-p4664095.html) and injectors (http://www.intengineering.com/VW/18T/Injectors/Siemens-Deka-630cc-Injector-p3471089-1-2.html) from Integrated Engineering.

I have decided not to post much info on pricing as most of the kit I am using comes from the states and the exchange rates seem to vary wildly (pretty sure customs use a different rate to the one my credit card company do judging by the amount of VAT I paid!!)

I will do a complete build write up listing all the parts I used and then anyone interested can sort out prices with Bill or whatever depending how they plan on doing it.

4 weeks to go before I make a start!!! :w00t:

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
I only just spotted this thread, looking good, guess I better get this AudiDrivers guest list up soon. As soon as Audisinthe Park is out the way, I will start making a post to see the numbers we are expecting from As.net to turn up.

I only just spotted this thread, looking good, guess I better get this AudiDrivers guest list up soon. As soon as Audisinthe Park is out the way, I will start making a post to see the numbers we are expecting from As.net to turn up.

Wha??? :uhm:

<tuffty/>

have decided not to post much info on pricing as most of the kit I am using comes from the states and the exchange rates seem to vary wildly (pretty sure customs use a different rate to the one my credit card company do judging by the amount of VAT I paid!!
<tuffty/>

You deffo need a stateside friend to post it as a gift ;)

Quick update...

Managed to find a bargain the other day... still didn't believe it until they arrived today...

IMG00046-20090814-1303.jpg

They cost £325 posted for the pair and are TVR branded AP Racing CP6600 4 pots...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250455042455 or the shop is http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Reyland-Motorsport

I will be popping over to Badger 5 later to look at possible disc options but they will support 330mm discs :eyebrows:

Better pics of the calipers and disc choice will be posted later...

<tuffty/>