my horrible night with my audi.

NxJxHxCedge

Reaction score
so last night me and two friends headed out to clinton rd.
its on weirdnj.com as being really scary and stuff.
anyways, i hit a pothole and i got a flat tire.
i pulled over and i jacked up the car and got out the tools.
the damn lug/bolts would not loosen.
since audi uses those damn screws oppossed to regular lug nuts, they tighten themselves, and the tool they give you was too short to get enough leverage.
so eventually i was able to loosen two of them by stepping on the wrench with all my weight.
long story short, 2 of the lug/screws got stripped to all hell.
and i had to drive back about 2 miles to the main road since i had no service to call anyone.
i think my rim may be arrite, i drove very very slow.
i had to end up paying $300 to have it towed to my house.
even the tow truck guy couldnt loosen the bolts.

anyone know how much would a new rim cost me if i need a new one??
its a 97 a4 2.8 fwd.

thanks in advance.
and thumbs down to this being the first flaw ive found in my audi aside from the pathetic cup holders.

If it's an OE rim, it could be $350 to $450 from the stealership.

Sorry about the bad luck. The lug screws were too tight because some moron overtightened the screws when they mounted the tires. They don't need to double-tighten the screws like the old days. You should have been able to give a short, quick kick-down on the lug wrench to loosen the screw. If that wouldn't work, then it was too tight.

A tip. Get a torque wrench, and tighten the wheelnuts (lug nuts in the US, I think) to the settings given in your workshop manual. If the car goes into a workshop & someone else has the wheels off, check them yourself afterwards. It's the only way to be sure.

[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 said:
....tighten the wheelnuts (lug nuts in the US, I think)...

[/ QUOTE ]
They are lug screws , not nuts on Audis. Many cars do have lug nuts, but not the Audis.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ImolaS4 said:
[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 said:
....tighten the wheelnuts (lug nuts in the US, I think)...

[/ QUOTE ]
They are lug screws , not nuts on Audis. Many cars do have lug nuts, but not the Audis.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, that's right. BTW, our term for lugscrews is studs.

Even if they had been set to the correct torque you'd be lucky to shift them with that feeble socket wrench they give you. I always carry a short section of tubing with the tool kit which you can use for more leverage. This guarantees I'll never get a flat and has worked up to now.