My Fleet, Updates and things.

Storming through it :) Did you sort out the alternator and starter wiring?

Not fully. The AWT loom has a plug that goes straight into the back of the alternator, which is neat and tidy, and explains my puzzlement as to why the AWT start/charge loom didnt have an alternator connector. So the alternator is plugged in and ready to go.

For the starter, i couldnt be ***** trying to get at the starter itself for the solenoid cable, so i cut the wire off the old loom down the back of the engine (and i actually forgot about that last night, hence why it wasnt mentioned, and why i havent sorted that already!). I've got a wire tail from the scrappy with the plug that matches the connector on the AWT loom, so i will crimp or solder that onto the existing wire, and then it'll plug in. Ideal situation would be to get the starter harness from an 06B car (either 1.8T AWT, or 2.0 passat etc) and it'd all just plug in, but i didnt know that at the time! If the turbos ever off i might revisit it and swap the starter to alternator loom out for the proper one, but this way should work just fine.

Good to know. One thing less to worry about :) Cant wait till I start on mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, tried to start it last night. Not finished tidying the wiring but wanted to get it going and see what happened.

Unforutnatley it wouldnt start, ECU all looked happy VCDS could talk to it, signals all looked good, just wouldnt fire up.

I didnt have time to do any checking, but either theres some power feed i'm missing, or the ECU isnt happy with the cross flashed rom.

Got another ECU here to try and will spend some time later with a meter to see what has power and what doesnt.

Remember to take notes of any wiring changes you make ;)

will do.

Been doing some investigating into the potential ECU issues so far, not found much bar the odd mention of similar symptoms and ECU hardware revisions.

the Skoda ECU i used has revision 2.3KA, whereas it seems the ECU i got the BAM tune from has 3.2WK. My 032HN box is also 3.2WK so fingers crossed if thats the problem it will work :)

So it was the ECU. Flashed the file onto the HN box and it fired up right away.

2016-05-13%2019.16.36.jpg

I then took it apart again, removed the ECU box and wiper linkage. Stripped, Cleaned and regreased the wiper spindles and refitted the linkage. Cleaned in around the ECU box, and reinstalled it with a new seal.

2016-05-13%2020.09.27.jpg

Also removed the throttle cable and installed the factory blanking grommet on the bulkhead and scuttle seperator

2016-05-13%2020.21.25.jpg

When it was running i had a fault code for cam sensor correlation error. I suspected this would happen. Its because my cam sensor only has 1 window, rather than the four window sensor the later cars have. I will get a later sensor ring and swap it out.

Just tidying up required now, lots of cable ties and snagging here and there like i need to add a fuse for the Coil power supply, and join the supply for the brake and clutch switches onto the ignition live in the ECU box. Putting trim back together etc etc.

So is it because of incompatible ecu or because the first one was chipped?

Incompatible hardware version as far as i can tell. I had figured it would simply not boot if it didnt like the software, but seems that it booted up fine just couldnt fire the injectors.

I guess sticking with 3.2WK hardware is the best bet.

Well it works!

Drove around a bit and it does what it should. Unfortunately it goes into limp mode if you give it full throttle.

Fuel trims are also a bit funky so need to figure out what needs done to dial those in.

Reactions: slepy
Is it a remap /mod issue? Surely stock ecu shouldnt cause problems if all plugged in correctly. Did you have vvt disabled?

12psi actuator on the hybrid and the stock WGDC tables from a TT225 arent best friends.

The boost controller in the ECU has a starting point map, so if your at say 3500rpm and request full power, it knows what WGDC to dial in. The PID controller then tweaks this up and down to ensure any engine variations etc are dealt with.

The problem as i understand it (with made up numbers), is i request full power (say 14psi) the ECU looks up its table and sees that it should be using 47% WGDC to produce 14psi and starts switching the N75 at 47%. It needs to do this to get good boost response, so it cant slowly ramp up to 47%. However 47% WGDC on my turbo actually produces 22psi. A massive spike occurs, way larger than the PID controller can deal with, and so the ECU drops straight into limp mode.

In the log you see the ECU request 1800mbar, and the turbo hits 2200mbar almost instantly, before throttle cut and limp mode.

Just needs tuned really. I'm going to see if i can fettle the tables a little bit in the mean time to get rid of the boost cut, unfortunately my definition file doesnt line up properly with this ECU ROM as its a different software revision.

Found a minor quirk today. AWT loom doesnt have the fuel consumption wire from the cluster to the ECU in place. Will need to add it and hopefully that will get the consumption figure working, at the moment its just stuck at 5mpg.

Mine works and shows 15 all the time haha.

Found a minor quirk today. AWT loom doesnt have the fuel consumption wire from the cluster to the ECU in place
I put an AWT loom on my car last week and the mpg display works fine, it's the same part number loom as slepy has, not sure if your slightly earlier loom is any different.

was it a TQS?

Later cars use canbus to signal the cluster various info including consumption data. As such the consumption pin is not connected. TQS's dont have canbus, so I have presumed thats the issue. I've plucked the wire out the APU loom that i'm hoping is missing from my loom. Not actually pulled the ECU back out to see for sure, but the wiring diagram suggests that wire isnt present in the AWT harness.

Yes, it's a 2000 TQS, built in 1999, I only added the white plug and changed the power feeds on the orange plug.

AWT 4B0906018DC, I bought a Passat for £280 and changed the complete engine with the management

hmmpf! And instantaneous fuel consumption definitely is working?

Can you check your brown plug for a yellow wire at pin 10? Annoyingly, i had some photos of my brown plug, and pin 10 is the only ****** pin on the whole connector thats obscured and you cant see if its there or not.

Edit:

Found slepys pic of his 074BA loom:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss156/slepy200x/A4 B5 TQS/20160407_182602_zpsbo1boq4d.jpg

No yellow wire on pin 10, much as i had assumed. Perhaps the passat harness is different to the A4 one?

Last edited:
I can check for that wire tomorrow but it's the same part number as slepy's so I don't think it will be any different. One thing I've just thought is that I have set the instruments to immo 3, which lists CAN-Databus Powertrain Participants so the ecu may be communicating via this

IMAG0956.jpg

IMAG0956.jpg

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q
Might be, was 90% sure the can bus wires were not present on the car harness. I'll check for that later too! If all it needs is a recode that would be nice.

There's no wire in pin 10 on my loom either, as expected it is identical to slepy's as it's the same part number.

IMAG0958.jpg

Reactions: slepy
Tried coding immo3/1025 onto the cluster instead of 0. Didnt work. Rev counter was stuck at 0, and the DIS gave an oil pressure warning and popped two fault codes saying no comms with the engine ECU.

Perhaps the TT ECU doesnt talk the same language as the AWT ECU, or maybe the canbus wires arent present as i had assumed they werent. Not really sure, but suffice to say it doesnt work!

Didnt manage to try connecting the pin 10, as its still ******* down and i was home late.

That's odd, did you try to link the ecu to the cluster after changing the coding? I could not get the dash and ecu to connect until it was coded to immo3, whilst it was still immo2 there were communications errors but as far as I remember the rev counter worked.

So fitted the cam trigger wheel this morning and also fitted the consumption wire as mentioned above.

No more cam correlation errors, and the fuel consumption readout now works :)

Had a "System too lean" fault code pointing at idle trims, so need to check things over for leaks but its probably just injector calibration.

Well its gone off for tuning!

Drove it down to Unicorn on Friday afternoon. M6 was properly broken and i thaught i wasnt going to make it at one point as i was booked on the last train home, but got there with plenty of time to spare in the end.

Probably going to be towards the end of the week before its done :)

Reactions: Bradderz_1988 and S4_dan
Well its gone off for tuning!

Drove it down to Unicorn on Friday afternoon. M6 was properly broken and i thaught i wasnt going to make it at one point as i was booked on the last train home, but got there with plenty of time to spare in the end.

Probably going to be towards the end of the week before its done :)
:redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4::redrs4:

Picked it up yesterday. Guys at Unicorn have done a great job, it drives nicely, and managed to make the power i wanted from it.

Turbo could do more, but the turbine side hits a wall at 5500rpm and chokes badly, stopping any more fun. Much as previously discussed on here, the A4 K03 housing just isnt very big.

Avant-Dyno-Unicorn.png

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q, Bradderz_1988 and S4_dan
What turbo you running?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeh K300. They do well over 300hp on the transverse cars, but not on this.

I've been wondering about my sport cat, i think it might be a bit small and that could be adding restriction. Also wondering about adding WMI.

Tuffty also mentioned the valve springs get weak and the high exhaust pressure causes the exhaust valves to crack open, letting exhaust gas into the cylinder, which is often seen as a bit of a "wall" like mine has.

So much for a remap and done eh? :p

not bad, ***** traffic and mostly motorway meant i didnt get to try very much of the power for most of it. Took the A701 from moffat to peniuik though for some fun, that was good :)

I bet it feels much better than a bone stock TQS right?

yeh, its been a while since i drove a bone stock car in anger, its had this turbo on it with a bodged up ECU for about 3 years, which was already faster than a stock TQS, but its certainly much better now. The choking at high RPM's is a little annoying though. Will have to see if theres anything i can do about that.

hi just fitted a gt28rs and like you have bought a pre tuned ecu to putter around with s3 injectors and maf
What does unicorn charge for a custom tune and long does it take

I emailed unicorn regarding if I chucked a A3 AGU ecu in and they're adamant that they can map it