MY first install

frumpy_pigskin

THE VW TECHNICIAN
Reaction score
So recently came into funds to allow me to carry out my first proper install in my 1999 Audi S3, currently standard sound system with Non BOSE and concert, CD multi Changer in the boot & The VW ipod kit. Not The biggest I.C.E Expert although know bit and bobs being a VW Techi. Looking to get stuck into it on saturday but just looking for a few pointers from the experts.

So purchased so far: Vibe Black Air 12" Sub+AMP 1600W
4" FLI Intergrator Front speakers
6.5" FLI Intergrator Rear Speakers
1" FLI Tweeters
Pioneer DEH-P5100UB Headunit
Ipod connector
14M Stinger speaker cable 14AWG
Vibe 8AWG Amp wiring kit
2 x PHONOCAR 2-WAY CROSSOVERS
Facia Adaptor

So Any pointers on things to watch out for when installing and anything i have missed?? pictures will go up on saturday on how the install goes if anyone interested. Shall be going over the S3 wiring diagrams for the original HU tomorrow so i can get a good idea of whats going on!

:thrashi:

You'll alo need a fascia adapter, aerial amp adapter and speaker adapters for both front and rear as they are not a standard mount.

Aerial adaptor i should have kicking about, these adaptors are they definatly needed? and if so MDF ones from ebay anygood? cheers andymac

Yes that's me. Yes definately needed. The stock fitting on the flimsy doorcards uses 3 mounting posts which stand proud of the hole in the door card, so you need a spacer ring to fill the gap otherwise the speaker will have a huge gap all the way round it and will just be flapping in the breeze. If you are fitting 4" components in the front then all you need is a 9mm spacer ring, then use the stock speaker to mark the 3 mounting posts, and drill these out with an 8mm bit, but not all the way through, just far enough to clear the posts and fit snug up against the aperture in the door card. Then use the stock screws to secure. the new speakers can then be attached to the MDF. The other option is to trim down the mounting posts with a Dremel or similar so that they are flush to the hole, however this will reduce the screw depth you have and will prevent refitting of the stock speakers when you come to sell the car. The rears are the same but you need 18mm MDF.
A3DoorPanelSpeakerLo-1.jpg

The antenna adapter isn't just an adapter it's a bit of electronics that takes the standard 12v power antenna feed and transfers it down the coax core in order to power the Audi's aerial amp:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/iso-active-aerial-adaptor.html

Last edited:
Many thanks andy, got myself rear speaker adaptors and will take your first option and make myself front adaptors as already received my 4" components, also purchased the antenna adaptor. thanks for your help bud