My DIY guide for Retro fitting Puddle Lights

As Farhan said the looms are without the lights/holders as some members like to buy them themselves, the looms do however come with the connectors meaning its a matter of plug and play.

Prices are as follows:

Door Loom (puddle and warning light) - £17.50 each
Door Loom (puddle, warning light and door handle LED) - £27.50 each
Footwell Loom - £17.50 each
Red warning lights - £10.50
White footwell/puddle lights - £7.50 each
1st Class Recorded postage - £5.

thanks ill pm you later once some of my parts come in to see exactly what i need.
btw i am from the US so i am assuming that shipping will cost more

Many members are asking me if i can do looms for the A4, the answer is yes but only the looms for the doors not the footwell lights.

The puddle and warning lights can be fitted to the A4 plug and play with one of my looms just like the A3.

Got my footwell lights off Robin this morning, only ordered sunday night! The quality was excellent, look OEM and fitted them in just over half an hour using his guide. Would recommend to anyone!

hi Robin
i followed your guide to install the light but now i have 2 faults showing up, 1 for each door:
00120 - Outside Warning Light/Door exit Light Driver Side
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
00121 - Outside Warning Light/Door exit Light Passengers Side
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent

I checked Elsawin for my pins in the module and it says 1 for power and 2 for ground. Ok, done that. Are the pins on the white and red lights the same? I thought pin 1 was ground and pin 2 for power, is this correct?
The lights are working, but i cant clear these faults, immediately they return. Im no electrical hero, but if i change the wiring from the pins on the lights, maybe pin 1 is for power and 2 for ground? Will the lights still work? Im really confused why these faults show up. In the drivers side door i attached the ground to another ground cable, in the passengers side i used pin 2 for ground. So this can't be it.

Im going to try something tomorrow. Damn, i thought everything was ok, since all light work...

Thrym - sorry just saw your post.

Have you still got the problem?

I don't understand why the fault code is there when the lights work, i have only seen the fault codes when the car has been coded but the lights haven't be fitted.

Pin 1 is the supply and Pin 2 is the earth. If the light has a diode fitted (look at the bulb and if there is a little black cylinder next to it then it has a diode) then it will matter which pin is the supply and which is the earth, if it doesn't have one fitted then it won't matter. The diode is like a one way valve, only allows electrical current to flow in one direction.

Fantastic quality and OEM look! very competent price as well. You can go wrong with then and just cant wait to get them fitted! Well done Robin. Pleasure to deal with you!

I just want to sing Robin's praises again. I've just fitted his door lights/looms to my Dad's 2011 TTS Cab and they, as usual, are top notch. He even went to the bother of finding out the power/earth pin numbers for the door controllers as they are different from my S3. Top man, and great person to deal with.

:)

Fantastic quality and OEM look! very competent price as well. You cant go wrong with them and just cant wait to get them fitted! Well done Robin. Pleasure to deal with you!

Just realised what I've written LOL, Shoud be as above I failed with spellchecking:] Sorry!

Last edited:
Got the looms from Robin , as said before oem quality if not better. was 100% plug and play for me
well happy.

Thanks to Andy he has found out the following:

From May 2007 there is a wiring change.

Warning lights are now on pin 18 and you can pick up an earth on 19

Does anyone had the part numbers for the door controllers that use pins 18 and 19?

I have an '07 but it was first registered in March so wonder if it will have the old door controllers.

My driver's side is
Address 42: Door Elect, Driver Labels: 8P0-959-801-MIN2.lbl
Part No: 8P0 959 801 H
Component: Tuer-SG 020 0090
Coding: 0000560
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 4084F4186A05

The pins required for my march '07 turned out to be 1 and 2. Became obvious when looking at the door module as there is no pin 18.

Anyway, all done now. Thanks to Robin again for the lights/looms and this how-to.

puddle_lights.JPG

Thanks for the update!

Glad you are pleased with them.

Anyone wanting a set of looms and light before xmas please let me know asap as i can send some out this week and get them to you before xmas.

the software to programe the light etc. Does someone sell it on here or is it a case of finding some one to turn on the items required? cheers

the software to programe the light etc. Does someone sell it on here or is it a case of finding some one to turn on the items required? cheers

You'll need vagcom, a member on here does sell it - can't remember who it was though.

Or you can find someone nearby to code it for you in return for a few beer tokens.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks to RobinA3 for his brilliant door puddle looms. well worth the money and better than OEM.

I had problems getting them to work but robin was only to pleased to help

Ive got a a4 B7 Cabriolet and this doesn't have door module 42 and 52 as robin stated to recode in his DIY guide. I didn't have to recode at all.

I used pin 21 as ground brown cable you have to remove the pin thats already in the connector and solder this to the pin on the brown cable of the puddle light loom then reinsert it to pin 21 thats the ground sorted

then the live the red cable goes into pin 13

reassemble the connector and then i had to remove all the connectors from the door module then the power

then i plugged the 32 pin connector back in and then the other cables and finally the power

this then resets the module and enables the lights

if you don't remove the power and data lines then it doesn't rest the module to enable the lights

defiantly a worthy mod

Cheers Robin

Currently only the door lights on the A4's. I have a member trying out my footwell light loom on his A4 to see if they can be fitted

I just finished installing the entire kit from Robin on my 2012 A3 Sportback 4 door (US version). I also installed the entire LED kit from Trups. Everything went well, and spent about 4-5 hours doing it all - nice packages together. So here is an exhaustive list of everything installed all at the same time:

Footwell lights front and rear
Puddle/warning lights all four doors
LED lights for the following:
- Overhead front and map lights
- Vanity mirror lights
- Overhead rear map lights
- Glove box
- Trunk (boot across the pond)
- Rear license plate
- Puddle/warning in 4 doors
- Footwell front and rear

Notes for others:
- When cutting the holes under the door cards for the puddle lamps, you can use a heavy duty box cutter and just push in steadily to get nice clean cuts. I created a cardboard template for the correct size hole from where the red warning lenses were installed in the doors since they are the same size. Outlined it in black felt pen, then carefully cut the holes to the exact size and each light snapped into place as intended. They can be pulled back out just as easily if needed.

- For my car, on the puddle/warning lights, I used pins 18 for power and 19 for ground (earth) on the front doors and pin 1 for power and pin 2 for ground in the rear doors. On all 4 doors I has to tap into the ground wire in the existing connector and solder then together. I know some people have been able to just push the pins into empty slots. So it could be my US model or maybe 2012 models, I don't know, but there is a little bit of cutting and soldering.

- The LED lights from Trups need to be adjusted carefully to stay in place. They plug into the lights where a bare bulb with contacts used to be. So you need to carefully bend the leads around a but so that when you plug in his little white socket into the leads, it stays in place and does not pop out easily. Not a big deal, but I didn't do that initially and about 75% of my lights were not working. Just adjusted them all and everything is good.

- Removing the front door cards was pretty obvious - remove a few screws and pop off the card. The rear doors were not as obvious. There is one screw behind the tweeter enclosure - similar location to the front door, but there is also a screw behind the panel where the window up/down switch is located. So pop up the cover over the window switch first and you will see it.

Here are the two settings I had to change for the footwell lamps:

FootwellLamspByte20.jpg

FootwellLamspByte25.jpg

Since this is a 4 door, there are 4 places to change for the puddle/warning lamps - in all cases I added 64 to the value that was already in place. Under Chassis, I made the change in the following 4 places:

42 - Door Elect, Driver
52 - Door Elect, Pass.
62 - Door, Rear Left
72 - Door, Rear Right

The below picture was taken in my garage in complete darkness with no other lights on. The whole interior is lit up, along with the ground around the bottom of the doors.

IMG_6110.jpg

Hi all can someone confirm how to connect the door puddle light and warning lights on a 2006 56 A3 sportback i.e.are all four doors pin 1 & 2 and which is the earth, also is the pins in question located on the little plug removed from the grey housing on the door card itself? sorry if this a silly question just want to confirm as im going to install these tomorrow. Regarding vcds is the method detailed in this thread the same for all doors?

Thanks
Dave

Dave you need to use the following pins:

Front and Rear doors:

Supply Pin 1
Earth Pin 2

The pins are in the plug which goes into the door control module, pics are at the start of this post.

i recenty replaced my door cards with the audi s3 door cards in my 57 sport and they have the lights in but they dont work, is it a case of activating them in vag com? or is there anything else required?

thanks Robin, dont suppose you sell other looms aswell? Looking for a pair of heated seat looms, from seat to climate control unit.

Just a quick one from me to also say that Robin sorted me out with the looms at the weekend for the warning lights and footwell lights.

I also did the illuminated door handles which Robin was kind enough to sort me out with as well - so all in all the interior looks great now.

A big thanks to t8ups again for sorting the LED lights for the whole lot.

Hi Robin, can you supply looms / lights for front and rear footwells for a 2012 sportback black edition?
Simon

Hi robin would you be able to supply and fit front and rear footwell light and puddle lights. If so how much?

Hi Ron. I don't do a fitting service anymore due to the lack of spare I have - I am sure someone near you may be able to fit them for you.

Hi Robin

Im getting a little bored withnot going anything to my car. i would light to say what great products you supple. im wondering if i cn use the same LED lamps i used on the footwell lights on puddle/warning lights.

Can these be fitted to the rear doors aswell.

Thanks

Jamie