1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My DIY Guide for Retro Fitting Foot well lights

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by RobinA3, Jul 18, 2008.

1. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

[Jul 18, 2008]
    This afternoon i decided to retro fit some foot well lights, there are a few guides on the internet knocking around but i thought i'd do my own as i see there are many posts - including one from me - on how to do this retro fit.

From start to finish it took me about an hour to do, longest part was soldering the connectors onto the wiring.

First of all before i start the guide i would just like to mention that it was a bit of a mission getting hold of the correct electrical connectors but i have now got a number of them all therefore i am able to make wiring 'looms' for this retro fit to make it basically plug and play (apart from needing VAG-COM to turn the function on).

If anyone is interested then i am able to supply all the wiring, electrical connectors, plastic connectors and the actual lights as a 'kit'. The connectors have been soldered on and all you need to do is to connect everything up once its all in place, the length of the wires are all correct as well so no messing around for yourself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you are interested please pm me.

Right now for the guide.

First off you will NEED vag-com program the controller so that it knows there are footwell lights fitted.

To do this go to Group 09 and change Byte 00 Bit 2 to Position 1.

Now for the monkey work bit of the process.

Remove the 2 screws underneath the steering wheel trim, you'll need to get down and get your head underneath to see them.

[​IMG]

Next remove the fuse box cover on the side of the dash, i used a screwdriver to lever it off.

Undo the screw at the top which holds on the steering wheel trim.

[​IMG]

Now pull the trim away from the dash, it is clipped in at the top where it meets the dash, this needs a bit of force but make sure you pull it away from the dash towards the back of the car rather than levering it upwards as the clips may break.

Now unclip the electrical connectors from the headlight switch and remove the OBD plug at the bottom of the trim.

[​IMG]

The trim panel can now be removed.

Now poke your head up in the foot well and look up for the bunch of electrical connectors, you'll see a red tab, push that and that will release the connectors.

[​IMG]

Now use a torch and look for connector 'B'. It will be a black connector with only 4 or 5 wires going to it. Push the clip in on the connector and remove it from the main wiring block.

On the back of that black connector there are some numbers which indicates which pin is which, look for the hole number 7, it should be empty, this is the positive feed for the lights, on the side of the plug there is a bit of pink plastic, use a screwdriver to lever it away from the connector, this holds the pins in place, plug the connector of the loom into this hole, make sure it goes into No.7 hole because its virtually impossible to remove the wire from the plug once its in without the correct depinning tool.

Once you are happy with the connector, push the pink clip back into the connector and plug the connector back in to the main wiring block, remember to push the red tab back so it locks the connectors in place.

This is the feed sorted now, now you need to earth the wiring, i used a bolt behind the steering wheel, i undid the bolt and then tightened it back up with the earth wire trapped between the head of the bolt and the car.

[​IMG]

Now its time for the passenger side.

Remove the side panel on the side of the dash as on the drivers side.

Undo all the screws holding on the glovebox, there are 2 underneath in the footwell, 4or 5 underneath the inside of the glovebox, one inside of the glove box at the back and one at the side of the glove box.

[​IMG]

Let the glovebox drop down, you can remove the glovebox by disconnecting the connector one the glovebox but you will get a airbag fault warning on the dash afterwards as the connector feeds the airbag switch in the glovebox, this fault can be cleared using VAG COM. I removed the glove box completely for better access but it can kept on the floor to do the job but its more fiddly if you don't want to have to clear faults on the car.

[​IMG]

Now you'll need to get the wiring to the passenger side footwell, i used a coat hanger and from the passenger side pushed it through to the drivers side just behind the stereo and taped the wire to the hanger and then pulled it through.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once its pulled through you now need to push the connectors at the end of the wires into the plastic plug for the light.

Now connect the plug to the light.

Hopefully the light will now work assuming the vag com setting has been completed, if it doesn't work then you may need to put the ignition on and then turn it off again. If it still does not work then check the connections and earth points.

[​IMG]

Once everything is working disconnect the lights and put back all the trim and glovebox etc.

Once its all done (making sure you haven't got any bolts left over) pull the connectors through the hole where the lights sit into the bottom of the trim, connect them up to the lights and push the lights into their location.

[​IMG]

And there you have it, foot well lights.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll be doing the puddle lights and warning lights tomorrow so i will post a guide up on how to do that and if anyone is interested i could create a 'kit' up so it will be plug and play assuming its an easy job but looking at the wiring diagram it looks pretty easy.
    D3mon, DeeGee68 and renton like this.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 23, 2014]

3. mdre83

mdre83 Member

[Jul 18, 2008]
    Excellent guide mate good work :thumbsup:

think it would also look good to have a blue glow underneath... bulbs can be changed?
  4. RobinA3

[Jul 18, 2008]
    Blue glow? Bit chav but whatever floats your boat.

Yeah the blues are interchangable.
  5. mdre83

mdre83 Member

[Jul 19, 2008]
    yeah I thought that myself too however, I seen one a few weeks ago (can't find it now) but it actually looked quite good.
  6. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[Jul 19, 2008]
    :thumbsup:
  7. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

[Jul 19, 2008]
    I was just about to post the same thing before I read your post.

Red would look better than blue - but the standard is probably better, unless you want your own mobile red light district!
  8. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[Jul 19, 2008]
    :yes:
  9. chill14

chill14 Newbie

[Jul 29, 2008]
    Hi Robin

Received the kit from you today. Excellent quality loom, looks like an OEM one not an afterfit. :salute:

I've installed the kit Footwell kit tonight as I couldn't wait. All works well. Only suggestion I would make though, can you add a few extra inches on the Earth cable for the connector. Unfortunately the lower fuse box bolt (which I can tell you made tha cable length for) is seized on my car and just spins its nut round too:wtf:, so I have had to use a different bolt. This means that the cable is tight as cross the relay board.

If anyone elses has done the same then they may also have problems. Apart from that, its an A1 kit.:o.k::respekt:

Everyone please buy one !

Cheers
  10. sakkie69

sakkie69 2008 Audi S3

[Jul 29, 2008]
    haha, the joy of living in the bushes is that I'll probably only get mine in a week or so once the swimmers arrive!
  11. RobinA3

[Jul 29, 2008]
    Thanks for the comment mate.

I'll make the wiring for the earth a tad longer for the ones i am currently making.

I put alot of time and effort into the looms as they are soldered properly and taped properly so its nice to get nice comments about them!

Oh and also i forgot you can change the brightness of the footwell lights using vagcom if you want.
  12. chill14

chill14 Newbie

[Jul 29, 2008]
    Credit to you mate. It definitely shows in the quality of the loom you sell.

Thanks again
  13. RobinA3

[Jul 29, 2008]
    Thanks

I mean its only a side line thing, i make next to nothing from it as i buy all the lights etc from Audi but i get a bit of discount there.

Plus it keeps me out in the garage in the eveings with the soldering iron so that keeps the missus happy as she gets the TV all night instead of me forcing her to watch Top Gear on Dave every hour!
  14. MarcQuinlivan

[Jul 29, 2008]
    Robin,
    does the 55 quid include postage? Might be interested in a set now that I'm probably not going to be trading my car in for the S3.

I'm sure you've posted it somewhere else, but I can't seem to remember where. What exactly does the kit include? Is it footwell, puddle, door and the looms? Does it also include the rear footwell lights?
  15. RobinA3

16. MarcQuinlivan

[Jul 30, 2008]
    Dead on. I'll have a think over the weekend and if my dealer doesn't come back with a more realistic offer on the S3 I'll probably go for a set.
  17. I'mRonBurgundy?

I'mRonBurgundy? Lets make that kitten purr...

[Jul 30, 2008]
    Would you consider fitting? If so pm me your price!
  18. fizz

fizz Member

[Feb 9, 2009]
    Got the looms of Robin today & managed to fit the footwell lights. Have to say that the looms are very high quality & look 100% OEM. Very tidy job. Gona have a go at the doors tomorrow.
  19. maars

maars Full speed ahead

[Feb 9, 2009]
    Got my looms today too - superb quality. Thanks Robin!:salute:
  20. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

[Feb 10, 2009]
    Any chance changing the yellow bulbs to a "white" bulb?
  21. aristides

aristides Member

[Mar 31, 2009]
    Hello there
    just installed my footwell lights (got the looms delivered from Robin, A+ job) and i was just wondering if anyone could help me get these babies coded!

Since i dont own a Vag-Com cable, and sadly can-t find anyone who does, is it possible to go to the stealers and have them coded via VAS?
    I got a friend at my Local Dealer that can help, but i have to tell him exactly what to do!

Any ideas?
    Cheers
  22. pns2007

pns2007 Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 31, 2009]
    Where abouts are you aristides
  23. aristides

aristides Member

[Mar 31, 2009]
    Greece , thats the prob!!!!

I guess through VAS it could also be possible right?
  24. pns2007

pns2007 Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 31, 2009]
    Ah right!

Not sure about VAS sorry. Good luck though
  25. dolores

dolores New Member

[Apr 2, 2009]
    Hi, had anybody mounted the footwell lights on A4/B7?
    I haven't found the socket/pin according to these descriptions? Are they really the same?

If not, does anybody know where and which is the right socket and pin to connect the (+) lights wire?

Thank you!
  26. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Apr 2, 2009]
    No reason why he cant go in & code them to be enabled aswell, depends really how far locked down they are, cause they are actually now sending coding down the line for cars as they hold the cars complete coding from factory on file & anything thats changed is auto coded it seems from what master tech steve was talking to me about few weeks ago, but I dont recall any security access needed for these to be enabled, so should be able to get in & code ok manually.

Good reason to buy a VCDS cable now mate, I hopefully will know monday if I can get some genuine leads, I can send one over if you wanted to buy one & postage price at cost to me if you cant sort local or buy cable local.
  27. aristides

aristides Member

[Apr 2, 2009]
    Im almost ready to buy a VCDS cable. We tried with the VAS system but it seems so complicated, while the VCDS program looks extremely easy.
    With all the changes , footwell/puddle lights and many more to come, i`m actually fed up going to the dealer and asking my friend for favours, not really my type lol.

Nigel if you could get back to me with a price the moment you know, i would be grateful.
    Thanks a lot
  28. ryanstewart9

ryanstewart9 Member

[Nov 22, 2009]
    Just like to thank Robin for the very professional looking looms.

I've manged to fit the front ones ok, but after a lot of head scratching about how to hide the looms to the rears I have left them for now. So if anyone has done the rears and has any pointers for me I'm all ears.

Apart from that just 8 puddle/warning lights to fit now :)
  29. Iggu

Iggu Active Member

[Dec 12, 2009]
    Thanks for the superb looms Robin. Did the footwells today - very pleased with the result. My only problem was not being able to track down a metal coathanger but improvised ok in the end. Puddles and warnings tomorrow.
    If anyone is thinking of doing this nice little mod Robins looms are beautifully put together and great value for money.
  30. fizz

fizz Member

[Dec 16, 2009]
    Received my rear looms for the SB today, as always they are mint :) Cheers Robin
  31. bruno901

bruno901 New Member

[Jul 11, 2010]
    good night..
    Robin, you still have retrofit footwell/puddle/warning light kit for sale??

or you can say where i can buy??

sorry my english (im portuguese..)

thanks..
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  32. bruno901

bruno901 New Member

[Jul 12, 2010]
    nobody can give me a hint?
  33. RobinA3

34. martinivw

martinivw :)

[Aug 13, 2010]
    Top Man Robin i got Kufu to code my footwell lights last night and all works perfectly including the rear footwells and your guide helps aswell, fitted in less than 60mins!! SPOT ON M8
  35. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Feb 6, 2011]
    All sorted, footwell lights look mintuss :)
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  36. Avus Sportback

Avus Sportback Member

[Mar 27, 2011]
    Just fitted the footwell lights now and they are working but very dim? How do i turn the brightness up in Vag-Com?
  37. Avus Sportback

Avus Sportback Member

[Mar 27, 2011]
    All sorted now :rock:

You can control the brightness in Central Electrics #9 - Adaptation #10 - Channel 005
    (change up or down and test)

Mine was set at 25% so turned up to 100% and its Happy Days!

Robin - Thanks for the looms, top quality mate! Might be of help to people if you include the brightness settings in the guide!
  38. dan77

dan77 dan77

[Apr 8, 2011]
    Picked up my looms from post office today, ive just got to say if i didn't know that they were not OEM i wouldn't have questioned it, absolutely brilliant quality, they look spot on, and this guide made fitting them so easy, :applaus: to robin!!!!
  39. RobinA3

40. dan77

dan77 dan77

[Apr 8, 2011]
    That's ok mate, just out of interest has anybody upgraded the bulbs yet? If so what you got? Was looking at sone Philips blue vision W5W
  41. Silky-S3

Silky-S3 Is loving his new 8V S3!

[Apr 27, 2011]