my car options

rwellfair

Reaction score
i no there are other areas for this but..................

i have the 1.8t avent 2004 s line as you all now no.. with regards to tuning how far can i go with out causing to many problem?s its done 88,000 miles.. people say to ask about for the best thing for your own car so here i am asking what works best for my car and how far can i push it with out doing damage a it is a family car but on the weeknd its my new toy :)

Thanks Rich

Personally i'd re-map it and do the exhaust and prob the air filter on a petrol model, the re-map will open up loads of fun.I'm in the same boat with my diesel its a family car but also my toy when i'm on my own in it, i've always done the springs and shocks in the past but aint gunna be able to do that with little uns in the car.

You could stick a bigger turbo on which would give you loads more scope for power increase but then you've got to start looking at the clutch and gearbox for weak points.Im sure theres folks on here who've done the simple NOT TO EXPENSIVE upgrades and seen good power increases.

Surpose the best answer is how deep are your pockets and what can you hide from the misses!!! mines like a radar she knows as soon as i've brought anything for the car....How do they do it....:eyebrows:

haha well not sure id spend around £500-600 but i just not sure if its worth while as i reali dont wana pay out for new bits for extra wear and tear!

I would go with a generic map & possibly a green panel filter, that'll do you fine, spending money on exhaust for so little gain considering your budget would be a waste of time/money IMHO.

whats a green panel filter is it just the air filter ?

As said above, panel filter and remap. Should see you to around 210-215 BHP, and will make a massive difference to how the car feels.

I got one of these for chipping my A3 TDi: http://www.chippeduk.com/products/ST3.html
Works great, got a fast road and economy map, can swap about whenever I want, and for £400 was well worth it. That and your panel filter for about £450 and your done, completely discrete.

Or you can get straight generic remaps for around £200-£250. You wont be able to change them whenever you want though, but are a bit cheaper.

I have a 1.8T thats been remapped and fitted with a green panel filter. Its made it much more fun to drive about

First thing I would be doing with a 1.8T is getting the sump off and having a new pick up pipe fitted before I even thought about any performance mods! have a read about 1.8 sludge problems though no doubt the members that have suffered it will be along shortly to advise!

I suffered from this problem the same day I got the car. Easy to fix tho, as long as it hasn't caused any damage.

As said above, panel filter and remap. Should see you to around 210-215 BHP, and will make a massive difference to how the car feels.

I got one of these for chipping my A3 TDi: http://www.chippeduk.com/products/ST3.html
Works great, got a fast road and economy map, can swap about whenever I want, and for £400 was well worth it. That and your panel filter for about £450 and your done, completely discrete.

Or you can get straight generic remaps for around £200-£250. You wont be able to change them whenever you want though, but are a bit cheaper.

what the hell is a slump???

also iv spoken to Celtic tunning and they said this

Thank you for your enquiry with Celtic Tuning.

As one of the UK's leading tuning companies we can provide for all your electronic and mechanical tuning requirements. The benefit of choosing Celtic Tuning over the majority of UK tuners is that we actually write and develop all of our own software in house; this enables us to provide a genuine custom tuning service for all applications and uses.

The 1.8 20v turbo engines we can take from 187bhp up to 235bhp and from 180lbft torque up to 223lbft torque giving a very impressive performance gain and all within safe design tolerance of the engine and drive train components. Reviews of some of our remaps are located here should you wish to browse http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/testimonials.aspx

All of our software has been developed using a Dastek 750 rolling road. This ensures performance accuracy, reliability and also that your vehicle is MOT compliant for emissions testing.

The cost of the remap is £295 all inclusive (RRP £360) for which we travel to your location whether it is home or work place. This comes with a 14 day money back guarantee which gives you plenty of time to ensure it is exactly what you are after. We recommend fitting the Forge Diverter Valve to the 1.8T engine. This uprated unit provides better throttle response and ensures boost levels are maintained where the stock unit can fatigue with age. The cost of these valves is an additional £95 with free fitting when accompanied by a remap.

Alternatively, we have a new self tuning device out for your specific vehicle giving you the ability to switch between original and various modified map settings as well as having DTC code reader for fault diagnostics. For full details of this unit please have a look at the following link: http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/Switch.aspx The cost of this unit with the modified map is £395 all inclusive with free next day delivery.

If you wish to go ahead with the remap please forward us your contact details (address, Post Code and Phone number) and we will be in touch to arrange a booking very soon. Alternatively if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask as our technical team will be able to answer any questions you have.

Regards

Scott
Celtic Tuning Team - Passion for Performance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so they say they can get to 235? and also it should add about 2-5mpg better off? iv asked about will this put pressure on my car they said that its ok and tehy design everything with this in mind? still what do you guys think?

thanks

been reading up on hear about celtic and its mixed .. good bad very good bad

Ok, I'm relatively new to the A4 1.8T lumps. But, as I understand it, the A4 has a k03s (or equivalent) turbo (I'm coming from a VW background here). These rarely give beyond 240 BHP (in the golf anyway). Thats what I managed, but I did do a LOT of other mods in order to achieve this, and the turbo was flat out, and highly strung.

Checking the Revo website states an increase to 225 BHP, and in my experience, they have often been aggressive maps. Superchips claim around 210 BHP. So yeah, probably around the 220 BHP could be a relatively safe assumption, assuming the turbos are similar.

Personally I wouldn't go to celtic tunning though. Apart from sounding optimistic in the gains achievable, I have heard mixed reviews. Depending on where you are, would influence where I would go. If possible, I would go here: http://www.r-techpower.co.uk/
Or would just go for another ST3 unit.

im in the cheltenham area.. i may not bother with a remap as iv just spent £7k on a nice audi but am happy to pay the £299 or £399 they want to remap but am very trashed off the car getting problems!

I had sludge issues.

standard 163 engine (no remap) went bang at about 50k miles and was very baby'd, never ever over 4k rpm and most time was only up to 3k rpm, and when it went there was no warning noises whasoever, right up till it went "yellow oil light - red oil light - tried to pull over - rattle - bang"

what is sludge and howd o we check for this mate?

The oil sludges up and blocks the pick up in the sump. This starves the engine of oil and wrecks it, starting with the turbo .....

I'm not aware you can reliably check for it - play safe method is to drop the sump and clean the replace the pick up. And be VERY careful on what oil and service regime you use from then on.

thanks for that info! so is this somthing to do before a re map or a genaral tip to keep the car running well? i may ask a friend to do this for me next week now.. as he will be doing an oil change on my van at the same time. with regards to remaps is it a risk ? is it best left alone or can i have a happy remap with no problems?

If I was you, (and I expect most in the know on here would agree) I would pay £200 or so to get the pick up cleaned/replaced and the engine flushed for your own peace of mind.

A decent remap shouldn't give you any issues.

is this stadard stuff taht we do to keep the car working well or is this as its a new car to me you are saying i should do this? thanks agin

Actually, come to think on it, does this affect all A4 engines? Would my S4 suffer the same fate?

Its a 1.8T problem so relax! Predominately caused my mixing different types of oils, and also the longlife service regime.

@ rwellfair, as I say if I had just bought a 1.8T I would do that work I mentioned as a preventative measure, and if you search back through the forum there are plenty of people who've had it happen, J7, 1wheel, evilscotsman - thats three straight off the top of my head. I'm sure they would all agree with me.

sorry to but in here just wonderd my car im told is set up for long life servise but im not wanting to do that ill be changing it once to twice a year so do i still use the same long life oil or is the short life one if thats what its called better off and i looked at my servis timer today as i rest it a few weeks or so back and it says i need to do it in 302 days so im thinking the car is not set to longlife or are they all set to that.

again sorry to pinch your thread