1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Bose sub isn't working

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by mephisto, Jul 15, 2007.

1. mephisto

mephisto Member

[Jul 15, 2007]
    Bose Sub
    Audi S3 2000

The volume control on my symphony head unit has been failing for some time, so the volume goes from quiet to full blast. Last week it did this and on that occasion the sub failed, and hasn't worked since.
    Checked the fuses (only one for radio, im guessing the feed is split from this) so not sure what to check now, im guessing the power spike has blown something on the amp side, and not the coils on both bass units surely.

Any pointers on how i fix this?

TIA
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 15, 2007]
    You need to remove the sub to find out whats wrong with it as the sub amp is inside the tupperware enclosure.
    Probably easier to buy one off ebay, plenty of people getting rid of them (can't think why!)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-S3-8L...ryZ10372QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-Quatt...ryZ10372QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also while you're at it check the second screw down on the right (looking at it from the front). This usually cracks the feeble plastic mount on the enclosure, causing an air leak, which is why so many Bose subs start farting.
  4. mephisto

mephisto Member

[Jul 15, 2007]
    Thanks AndyMAc, err do i have to remove all the surrounding trim to get to the sub, looks like i gotta remove the boot seal and then that whole section to get to bottom bolt on sub correct?
  5. steve1975l

steve1975l Member

[Jul 15, 2007]
    That first listing is me.
  6. mephisto

mephisto Member

[Jul 15, 2007]
    Eh? Did u mean to post a link?
  7. steve1975l

steve1975l Member

[Jul 16, 2007]
    Andy's first one.
  8. mephisto

mephisto Member

[Aug 9, 2007]
    Had some spare time so i ripped the old sub out of my S3. Stripped down the sub itself, and as i prised open the front i noticed 2 grey wires free!
    Im hoping this is the problem anyway, bit strange they are both poorly soldered it seems.

Anyway here's a pic and you can see what i mean, there's no colour code on them, and im hoping as its via this small relay this is just a 'switched feed' so it shouldn't matter which way i resolder.

Id be interested to know if anyone else has had this issue. Gonna resolder and reconnect, see what happens.

Here's a pic.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs318&d=07324&f=bose.jpg
  9. mephisto

mephisto Member

[Aug 9, 2007]
    On closer inspection those grey wires are actually soldered to the same track so i can only assume they are two separate feeds or supplies, didnt examine long enough as i was too inpatient to test, and it's getting dark out there now.
    Ah well just the rubbish Concert head unit to deal with now, ie volume level only works when it's about 22 deg C+ outside!!!