My Audi Life....

Right well Thursday i popped up to Birmingham to collect this:

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Other than the spoiler, youll see what else im using it for tomorrow with any luck.
Also had these delivered:

IMG_0058.jpg

4 New tyres from Camskill and my 312mm discs to use with the Brembos.
Unfortunately i went to collect my wheels. Got them home and had a good look and im very disappointed with them. Rung him to inform him of my disapproval and he is going to come back Thursday and re-do them

Camskill have great prices got my Falken FK452's from there. what make and size are yours, and which alloys you gonna fit those to?

The Kuhmos are good value for money and offer very progressive handling. I assume the badge is staying on this one Drizz? I approve ;-)

you just gonna take the spoiler off it, or you gonna try some sort of mod on it?

So today then. Booked the day off work and got up the unit for 6.45 am :)
And got cracking stripping the boot down:

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

Emo measured and marked up:

IMG_0063.jpg

And made the first cut:

IMG_0064.jpg

A hole:

IMG_0065.jpg

Moved it along and offered it up:

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

Emo continued working his magic. Ive never actually sat and watched him before but he is truly awesome at what he does. He is a VW nut and does everything from servicing to full restorations on bugs and campers, truly a genious!

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

And theres where we left it for tonight. Im at work tomorrow so by the time i get home it should be ready for paint :)

wow this guy is highly skilled, looking good Drizz nice idea, this will really clean it up

Wow! That's looks like it's going to be frikkin' awesome! Will he do mine for me as well? :sex:

Excellent work.

ooooooo I like that, i was looking at importing a US trunk as they have a shorter plate cutout as std. But the carriage was cost prohibative etc

good effort mate. nice job on the boot... vvoc member by any chance?

I too want a US lid, especially as my stock one needs respraying.

what are you doing about the aluminium peice with the no. plate lights / release buttons on?

aare cutting and welding teh lock strip or sitching it completely?
could be a good time to lose it before it starts corroding !

<p>
aare cutting and welding teh lock strip or sitching it completely?</p>
<p>could be a good time to lose it before it starts corroding !

been thinking about this - might be possible to just trim it down? setting in two new studs in the right place to secure it at the same time.
i would imagine cutting and welding it would be a nightmare, being that its cast poor quality alloy.

The spoiler appears to be bonded on so I'll just be bonding it on mine. The trim will be cut down and shaped to fit. It's held on by four bolts we've lost two so the remaining two will do the job fine

Drizz, could you PM me a quote for the work to the boot lid and painting it. im extremely tempted! even a rough price to see if its within budget or not would be good.

i am confident in cutting down the handle, its just the metal work on the boot lid and painting it thats a bit out of my depth. (although i have the equipment and am very tempted to do all the metal work)

So yesterdays pics first, because i couldnt be ***** to upload them last night.
Emo grinding the welds back:

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

And the numberplate trim to show the difference:

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

And more work:

IMG_0096.jpg

And very light fillering:

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

And todays pics whilst its waiting to go in for paint. Emo undersealed all the welds inside the tailgate:

IMG_0103.jpg

And how it looks prepaint. Im well chuffed, cant wait to get it shiny again:

IMG_0104.jpg

Once the painter has prepped it further we will mod the boot handle to fit. Waiting till the last moment so it will fit perfectly.....

No pics today as its in the paint shop. Going primer for the weekend as opposed to full paint because i want the marks on the rear arch taken out so he is going to paint the lot next week, but get it in primer tomorrow so i can use it over the weekend

Oh and the wheels went back to the refurbers today to be redone as the first attempt was *****!

Nice mod Drizz, I shall be keeping a very close eye on this thread :respekt:

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

The painter skimmed over it again:

IMG_0105.jpg

Sanded it back and primered it:

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

So we started on the handle:

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

And all back together :) I love it. I think it transforms the rear end. Its in primer as i needed the car back for the weekend. Its back in Wednesday to have the swage line changed as its slightly out and the painter wasnt happy to leave it, smoothed down ready for paint, then have the handled fettled to be perfect, then all painted including the rear arch where it looks like bird poo has been left to eat the lacquer....

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Opinions???

It does look reasonably cool, will be better once its in paint i recon.

It might need some badging when its done, or it might just look a bit too bland?

Looks great - I'd be inclined to delete the aluminium licence plate plinth though - it's a big source of rust on facelift cars.

My concert head unit just spat smoke out. anyone got one for sale or loan till i get mine fixed????