My Audi A4 DTM - "Brought Back From The Brink" progress thread!

Audi-Rog

Six Audi's & Counting!
Reaction score
HI Project Room :smile:

I'm Rog, I've been on here a while , but have been away from the site, as I haven't had an Audi for over a year since I sold this!

3.2 Q A3 S-line
DSCN1037 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Build Thread Link here: Audi A3 Build Thread

I had a few Audis over the years, these are my previous cars.
Project 80 Cab:
DSCF7234 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

S4 B6:
DSCF2801 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

A3 2.0 TFSI Q:
DSCF1283 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Other VAG group cars I've owned include, 1.8T 25th Anniversary Golf, Corrado VR6, Skoda Octavia II VRS and Mk5 Golf GTI (now the wife's).

Now I'm back in an Audi! And back in style with an A4 DTM Edition...:yahoo:

I found her lanquishing on a small used car dealer in Bedford. I had been watching it for weeks on eBay and Autotrader. It hadn't been snapped up, which was surprising, as it looked good in the pics and was been sold at way under book price value!

So a couple of weeks ago, I went over to have a closer look.... OMG! This car looked ok in the pics but in reality, it looked a bit of a shocker. The bodywork was a little tatty, the drivers door wasn't aligned properly, the rear boot lid had been repaired on site (to an ok standard!), paint work and windows were covered in paint and clearcoat overspray :blink:...what a cowboy! So, I left the place very disappointed.

Anyway, I went over again, with my mate, to look at another A4 Avant, he had up for sale, as that was what I was looking for originally. That was was being sprayed on site too, as it had some damage. That car was even worse!

So, once I showed my mate the DTM, he thought why don't you just get that instead, as it looked the nuts (to him...he couldn't see all the faults like me!). To cut a long story short, I took it out for a spin and was totally hooked. it drove great and has plenty of poke :racer:

I am heavily in to car detailing and previously had a little weekend detailing business, which I did pretty well at. So, I could see through alot of the paint work issues. The car deserved better and I felt I needed to to rescue it, from certain doom or even worse, some boy racer :superman:

The car has been looked after mechanically, thank god! FSH, with 96K on the clocks. Lots of work done to the engine, cam chain and tensioner, cam follower, Rev "d" DV valve. Cambelt done at 72K.

This picture thread will show the progress of going from a rather unloved (in the looks dept), back to a head turner again.:hubbahubba:

This is on the day i bought it.
P1050938 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050939 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050940 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050942 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Rear audi badge missing. This is the repaired area.
P1050943 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050945 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050946 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Exhausts need some love!:puke:
P1050948 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050950 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050951 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

The wheels look like they have never been cleaned properly....ever!
P1050952 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050957 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Reactions: Stanningtonglen and THQuattro
More before pics :smile new:

Like these!

P1050959 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050960 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Interior pics.

P1050961 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Aftermarket DTM mats, look alright actually!

P1050962 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

I must say I do like the interior :yes:
P1050963 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Full electric Recaros too :cool new:

P1050964 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050965 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

All the interior works and no broken clips or anything!

P1050966 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050967 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Steering wheel needs a good scrub!

P1050968 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050970 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Nice big boot!

P1050971 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

The muppets at the dealer must have broke the triangle holder taking off the trim :wtf:

P1050972 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Need to sort this too.

P1050974 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

:cool new:
P1050976 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Reactions: Stanningtonglen and THQuattro
More befor pics..

P1050977 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050979 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Engine bay before.

P1050980 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050981 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050982 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Headlights....clip broken on both sides. seems to be a common issue?

P1050983 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Scuttle cover missing?

P1050984 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050985 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050986 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050987 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050988 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050990 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Some more exterior pics.

P1050991 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050992 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Some damage to the front lip.

P1050993 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1050994 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

So, there you have it, one Ok condition DTM, but with bags of potential.....next up some decontamination :puke:

Ok next up to decontaminate the body work and lay down some much needed protecton!

Some more before pics of the build up of grime and years of neglect. Also remember, I bought this from a dealer too!

P1050999 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060001 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060002 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060003 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060004 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060009 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060010 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060013 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060014 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060016 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060019 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060020 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Decontamination and Protection Detail next.

Ok on with the show!

P1060005 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060008 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Wheels first

Autosmart Smart Wheels and AS G101 for the arches and tyres.

P1060026 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060027 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Then followed Valet Pro's Dragons Breath fallout remover......bleeding to death!

P1060029 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Rear wheels.

P1060030 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060031 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060032 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

The alloys were de-tarred with AS Tardis.

Then the bodywork was rinsed off with the PW, to loosen the dirt and then snowfoamed with ValetPro PH Neutral and left to dwell.

P1060033 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060035 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Whilst the car dwells, the door shuts and jams, badges, grills, plastics and rubbers are attacked with AS APC and AS tardis and a envy detailing brush. I repeated this process at least 4 times!

P1060037 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060038 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060039 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

The engine bay was APC'd and agitated with an envy brush.

P1060040 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060041 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Then PW off.

P1060043 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Then the car was rinsed off and given a 2BM safe wash.

P1060044 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060045 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060046 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Next up De-taring, fallout remover and claying.

Close up of the clay bar with paint fallout being removed from the rear wing :blink:

P1060047 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060048 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Much smoother now.

Then rinsed off and dryed with large drying towels. Doors open to help the drying process.

P1060051 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Door shuts much better now.

P1060052 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060054 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060055 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060056 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Exhaust before.

P1060057 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

After 5 minutes work (run out of time). I will re-visit these later.

P1060059 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060058 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Reactions: Stanningtonglen and Shunteruk
The body work was given a mild polish with Werkstat Acrylic Prime AIO, which removes bonded contaminants, polishes and seals all in one go. It's great stuff.

P1060060 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060061 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060062 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060063 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Tyres dressed with AS High Shine.

P1060064 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060065 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060066 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060067 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060068 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060069 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060070 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060071 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

This will be followed up with a full on Correction detail and treating the plastic trims etc.The interior will be sorted out too, that will take me a day or two at least!

I will be replacing broken and missing parts as and when I find them.

That's it for now...next up replace the rear badge.

Reactions: Stanningtonglen and Shunteruk
I'm not a fan of the badgeless look, so the first opportunity I got to replace the rear emblem, I did it!

P1060396 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

I used numberplate tape to re-secure the badge.

P1060397 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060398 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

Then I used tape to give a straight edge for the placement. The badge sits 30mm from the bottom edge. Then all I did, was find the centre......

P1060399 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

.....and voila, it's back on OCD subsides...for now!

P1060400 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

P1060401 by Roger Freeman, on Flickr

The next things I had a go at was to re-align the drivers door and drivers side front wing, as it was slightly out. No pics but a bit of a faff, especially doing it on your own!

Thanks for looking

Comments, questions or suggestions welcome :smile new:

Rog

Reactions: mister.c. and Shunteruk
Congrats on finding a saving the DTM, the car looks great after a little bit of love!

Can't wait to see the interior sorted out!

What wax will you use for the final coat? Just looking at options for myself as have the same colour and I have been a Poor Boys black hole user on my previous dark cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi-Rog
Very nice motor mate. Loving the attention detail with the cleaning side, made me realise I need to do all the shuts on mine.

Wow I love these dtm's, looks like your cracking on with getting her mint again, lovely looking car mate, will be watching this closely

Congrats on finding a saving the DTM, the car looks great after a little bit of love!

Can't wait to see the interior sorted out!

What wax will you use for the final coat? Just looking at options for myself as have the same colour and I have been a Poor Boys black hole user on my previous dark cars

Cheers everyone :grin:

Yeah, the interior needs some love too. But it should hopefully come out well.

I do have a nice pot of smart wax Concourse 55% carnauba, which looks great. But I tend to use ceramic sealants or spray sealants to finish. I have used Wolf's Chemicals Hard Body, CarPro CQuartz Uk and SiRamik CS15, they last years and look great. You have to ideally machine polish your car prior to applying these, as the paint has to be uber clean and swirl free (preferably).

The spray sealants Ive used are Gtechniq C2v3, CarPro Reload and Auto Finesse Tough Coat. These are easy to use and last for months. And are great for light colour cars. You can layer up wax after sealing, there are many for light cars, dodo juice supernatural, springs to mind.

HTH

Rog.

Nice car, and I feel sorry for how unloved it's been prior to your ownership! Looks like it's come to a good home though. And I saw your other post in the B7 forum, and I thought to myself, "looks weird without the Audi rings on the boot"-turn up here and what do I see! Massive improvement!

Thumbs up for the detailing: looks like a different car! And those door shuts... :drool: It's all about the detail!

Nice car, and I feel sorry for how unloved it's been prior to your ownership! Looks like it's come to a good home though. And I saw your other post in the B7 forum, and I thought to myself, "looks weird without the Audi rings on the boot"-turn up here and what do I see! Massive improvement!

Thumbs up for the detailing: looks like a different car! And those door shuts... :drool: It's all about the detail!

Thanks Arnie, it's a working progress:smiley:

I felt the same about the DTM's condition too, it needed to go to a good home, after years of neglect (appearance wise anyway). I love restoring and bringing cars back to life. I do get alot of personal satisfaction from it. So it was the perfect "project" for me. It's not perfect, by any means, but it will turn heads again, that's for sure :sunglasses:

Rog

Wow that bodywork looks a million times! I get a lot of satisfaction when i clean my car. I havent tried the art of detailing but I would like to learn. Im planning on getting the paint correction done on my car & was wondering if this is something you would be up for doing privately? I may also be interested in detailing any other areas that need it. Let me know Rog, thanks! Keep up the good work!

Great work mate, looks well & love the way its looks from the back

Wow that bodywork looks a million times! I get a lot of satisfaction when i clean my car. I havent tried the art of detailing but I would like to learn. Im planning on getting the paint correction done on my car & was wondering if this is something you would be up for doing privately? I may also be interested in detailing any other areas that need it. Let me know Rog, thanks! Keep up the good work!

Cheers WozzaDTM :grin:

I could be up for detailing your car, no problem. I've detailed many cars in the past and was professionally trained by Tony Spears (AutoShine Detailing). I work outside, so an enhancement detail is more realistic than a full correction.

Depending on condition it can take 1-2 days to complete. I would also be happy to guide you through the wash and maintainence steps too.

I gave up last year to spend more weekend time with my young family. But, I am starting to do a few cars again, here and there!

Where abouts are you based?

Little update*

It's all the little things on the car that make the difference for me! That includes the Audi's keyfob, which was looking a little tired. (The spare key looks brand new)

So an easy way to make it look better is to swap out the rubber button pad. You can find replacements on eBay for a few quid.

Here's a little "how to". You never know it may help someone :smiley:

This is the replacement rubber buttons. £1.75 delivered from eBay!!

Not genuine, but who cares, you can't tell anyway!

To change the pad was trickier than I first thought actually! There's quite a bit to it!

Removed the battery cover...easy! Then you need to remove the 3 small screws, holding the fob together. You need some very small screw drivers for that part.

I got a screw driver and bit set for computer repairs from Maplins. Invaluable for all kinds of small and fiddly jobs!

I pulled the fob apart to reveal this. The grey piece is to hold the buttons in place. This is pulled down to release it.

Old pad out.

I then removed the plastic inner part from the rubber pad.

Then I replaced the rubber pad with the new one.

Then I replaced the buttons and pushed the grey holder in place.

Then I put it all back together. One thing is to make sure you locate the spring for the key blade and turn it around 3 times to load the spring, otherwise the blade will not pop out when you press the release button.

Then all back together, looking better after a little degrease and clean.

Next job is replace this headlight and bumper mounting bracket, as mine has snapped....should be fun :rage:

Cheers Rog :grin:

Reactions: PeterPatch1
Well, as with most of my cars, it's never too long before I'm taking off a bumper!

The bumper alignment was not right, the panel gap was uneven. This was doing my head in!

The passenger panel gap side was slightly wider than the drivers side.

In fairness, taking the this bumper off was a peice of cake! A few screws either side and 3 along the top... (More along the bottom if I had an undertray)

...and it's off!

This was one of the reasons it was out of alignment. This bumber and headlight mounting bracket had snapped.
I had superglued it together and it was holding up, but I wasn't confident it would stay that way.

So a replacement was bought from eBay for £10 delivered. Then refitted.

These are the main bumper alignment adjusters.

These are the adjustments for the top of the bumper. All four were adjusted to be equal.

Then all put back together. And the panel gaps are much more even.

Next little job....to restore the Nadia Microfibre material on the steering wheel, gearknob and handbrake, as they were minging! Plus clean the greased up leather on the steering wheel.

Close up of the minging nadia material.

OooF!!

Not been cleaned, probably ever!

Gearknob looking terrible.

Handbrake cover is not too bad compared to the rest.

The nadia parts of the steering wheel were treated with Chemical Guys Fabric Clean and agitated with a soft vikan brush.

This is the gunk it pulled out!

50/50 shot.

50/50 shot number 2!

Nadia microfibre looking better.

Then on to the leather parts of the steering wheel.
I used LTT Leather Care to clean the leather, with a soft brush and sponge.

Followed by LTT leather protection.

After treatment, looking and feeling alot better now.

I also had to re-colour the leather on the right side of the steering wheel , as it had worn through a little.

The gearknob after treatment, again looking and feeling nicer.

Hand brake after.

This gives me a good clue on how the rest of the Nadia Microfibre on the seats and door cards will look after treatment...looking hopeful, can't wait to get going on it.

Reactions: mister.c. and Coltweed
BRA........VO

Wow, that steering wheel was filthy! Love the look on the DTM's, although IMO they need bigger wheels!

I managed to get a few more bits done to the DTM today.

This warning triangle holder turned up in the post the other week, all the way from china...£5.50 delivered!

Space where it should sit!

Back in and all together.

I managed to bag some replacement headlights as mine had seen better days.

These are aftermarket angel eye headlights. But look pretty OEM (original).

The old headlights, looking tired.

The plastic retainer had snapped here, so the light wasn't sitting quite right.

Right to fit the headlights the bumper has to come off...again!

Old one out.

New one in .

Both in and bumper replaced again.
Whilst I was there I also fitted an Intercooler air guide cowling, that I was missing. No pic.

All done and headlight heights adjusted. (for now)

Looking much fresher for them too.

Thanks for looking
Next up....interior detail :greyrs4: :sunglasses:

Great thread this. It's been good seeing how you have brought this car back. I love DTMs!
Well done for doing a great job in restoring it back to its current pristine condition!

A bit of an update and some pics!

My angel eye headlights at night!

I managed to give the interior a much needed clean. Vacuumed, de-greased, wet vaxed and the leather cleaned, conditioned and protected with LTT Leather Care.

Before pics.

Nadia Microsuede material, looking dirty and shiney!

Mats in need of a good clean.

Centre console and HU looking grubby and in need of a degrease.

Ok, on with the clean!

During degrease with AutoSmart G101 APC.

All the plastics were APC'd and bushed with a envy brush and wiped down.

These are the after shots, not perfect by any means but alot better!

Cup holder all cleaned.

All the door card plastics washed and the Microsuede cleaned with Chemical Guys Fabric Clean.

Pedals after a good scrub.

I also wet vaxed and scrubbed the carpets, looking and smelling fresher for it too.

Mats before.

Drivers mat quite worn.

Mats after vacuuming, scubbing and Wet extraction.

And back in the car.

Leather areas treated with LTT Leathercare.

The Nadia Microfibre seats looking and feeling alot better. And due to the hot sunny weather, they dried out very quickly!

HU and centre console looking better.

The interior is looking, feeling and smelling better ,but I will re-visit it again later and dress it too.

Reactions: Tyrer
I had a couple of mechanial issues to sort out too.

My car, although running well generally, has been idling too high, sitting at over 900 RPM. Where it should sit around 800 - 840 rpm. Plus the mpg has been poor aswell.

After some research, I found one possible solution to fix this, is to replace the coolant temp sensor. This tells the ECU the engine temp and helps regulate the fuel.

If the sensor is sending the wrong signal to the ECU (i.e the engine is too cold), it will use more fuel to help warm up the engine. This is why it was idling too high! Simple when you know!

This is the new genuine temp sensor, £10 delivered off ebay!

Old one out, new one in. Car now running so much better! Idling exactly at 840 RPM as it should be.

Sorry for the poor pic. This sensor is right at the back of the engine, up against the bulk head!

It only took 5 mins to put the new one in. Once it's in you need to reset any fault codes via VCDS (VagCom).

I had another minor issue to sort out!

As on my Mk5 Golf GTI, with a very similar TFSI engine, the DTM's brake vacuum pump was leaking oil. So, I managed to get a good used replacement, off eBay - only £27 delivered!

Old leaky pump. You can't see the leak as it's underneath. But it was bad enough to leave some oil on my driveway.

Oil leaking from the under side. Common issue on this age TFSI engines.

Being up against the bulk head, it was a little difficult to get at the bolts (compared to the Golf with the engine placed transversely.)

But after a bit of faffing with my tools, I managed removed the old pump.

Oil still leaking from the old pump.

Replacement pump re-fitted and is now not leaking any more!

Thanks for looking.

Next at some point is to find and fit the engine undertrays and some air guides from behind the front bumper. I may look into re-instating the headlight washers too, as all the piping is missing.

Rog :greyrs4:

Reactions: mister.c. and Tyrer
Again superb! Attention to detail is what keeps this getting better.

How are the Angel lights?

Looking great matey. How easy is the bumper to remove?

Again superb! Attention to detail is what keeps this getting better.

How are the Angel lights?

Thanks Tyrer :smiley:

The Angel headlights are good, I had my doubts, but they light up the road well and look OEM enough too.

I'll will look at upgrading the bulbs at some point.

Looking great matey. How easy is the bumper to remove?

Thanks Dani :smiley:

The bumper is pretty simple to remove, only a few bolts to remove and it's off! The only tricky bolts are on the passenger side wing, as the washer bottle obscures the bolts a little. Other than that, the only thing to make sure is the bumper goes back on the bumper adjusters at the front properly.

Reactions: Dani_B19
Little update.:grin:

I have completed some basic maintenance work on the DTM. With a few goodies to keep the Audi running and looking better.

• A new "G" Diverter Valve
  • A new fuel filter, Cabin/pollen filter
  • A new expansion tank
  • Wynn's Extreme fuel system cleaner (to give the injectors etc a good clean through.)

First up to change was the cabin filter. Very simple job!

It lives under the scuttle cover here.

The filter housing.

The old, minging filter!

Old filter out.

New compared to old.

I cleaned up the housing, while I was there.

New filter in and all back.

Next upt to change was the fuel filter.

To get at it, It is situated under the drivers side rear wheel. I removed the plastic under tray and released the old filter. Then popped off the pipes one by one.

Old one out in the pic.

View of new filter back in place. 20 minuite job, if that! (Don't worry, I did replace the retaining screw after this pic!)

Then to tidy up the engine bay a little...a new expansion tank from GSF. As the old one had seen better days!

Old, dirty looking tank.

Very simple to remove, one screw, two pipes and one connector!

Old one out.

New tank in and topped up with coolant.

Cap back on and all done.

I also changed the DV from the "D" type to the revised "G" version (in pic) to see if it would make any difference, as I felt it wasn't holding boost very well. No pics of the change over. Pretty easy to install.

Then took the DTM for a test drive and it has really improved the accelleration! It now pulls so much better from lower revs, all the way to the red line :rockwoot:

Very happy!

:greyrs4:

Reactions: mookster
Excellent work fella! You're clearly blessed with infinite patience :)

Do you have a link to the headlights on the web?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Car looks superb. A lot of hard work has gone into that and its paid off massively.

Excellent work fella! You're clearly blessed with infinite patience :)

Do you have a link to the headlights on the web?

Cheers Phil, I do have a lot of patience....I'm married with 2 young children :tonguewink:

I don't have a link as they were bought second hand. If you google Angel Eyes for A4 B7, you find similar ones.

I may have to give up on the lights though, as one isn't working quite right, keeps dropping down!

Car looks superb. A lot of hard work has gone into that and its paid off massively.

Cheers Leyton :grin:

There's more bits coming soon too. I managed to get both gearbox and engine undertrays (£45 delivered), as mine are missing! Plus some other missing parts. It's all coming together though!

Rog

I was a little bored on Sunday, so I decided to tart up the engine cover. The silver had come off the lettering.

Before

And this was after painting with my Hafrauds touch in pen. Not perfect but effective...I think:smiley:

I won't do the close ups, as they are pretty poor :tearsofjoy:

Then I dressed the plastic with Smart Wax Trim Restorer.

Then back in the engine bay.

Reactions: Tyrer
Nice touch. Old friend of mine had a little trick for doing such things - use a modellers small paint roller and gently run it over the top of your embossed logo, that way you get nice smooth edges and an even paint finish. In this case you'd need to mask off the surrounding area is it's raised also, but perfect for this kind of job :)