1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my ABS system is just having a laugh

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by pjw, Jan 22, 2011.

1. pjw

pjw Member

[Jan 22, 2011]
    OK, so i got the car and had the ABS warning of the three beeps. VAGCOMd a scan and found that the fuse was out. Put the fuse in, and got a duff sensor rear right.

Replaced this, put the fuse back in, rescanned, and got J106 Solenoid Relay.

Finally got that changed today, cleared codes and after 10 seconds of driving and the ABS kicking in at low speed now ive got a fault code on both front sensors! WTF!

Im hoping ive knocked them or something, ill have to find the connectors, but has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance, this system is the last one to sort out on the car with problems!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jan 22, 2011]
    might be dirty rings, or the sensors arent fully seated.
  4. pjw

pjw Member

[Jan 22, 2011]
    But how come they didnt come up on a scan when i changed the back one three weeks ago?

Seems odd that both front ones just come up at once, like ive done it somehow.

Do the front sensors connect to the loom under the back seat too, or is that just the rears? I need to get out and find the connectors to confirm theyre in ok before moving on to taking wheels off and cleaning the sensors.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jan 22, 2011]
    Because it hadnt noticed they were broken before?

Clear the codes and see if they come back?

They plug in up under the dash.
  6. pjw

pjw Member

[Jan 22, 2011]
    Yeah. It seems odd to me that its only just come on.

I read what each speed sensor was doing and front left just flashes at 1kmph, like its not getting anything from it. The other three are solid and read the right speeds except the front right one very slightly is off/on 1 sometimes then sometimes the right speed.

I think ill pull the two if i can and give them a clean. Its had new disks and calipers on the front recently (october) and im tempted to think they didnt put in the copper sleeves, or theyre not seated correctly.

I dont think there is much of the ABS system left on this car thats original..

I found the passenger connector behind the glovebox, its plugged in. Just think the sensors knackered or the wirings come away somewhere.