My A4 TDI issues

Connor_scotland

Reaction score
Website
www.scottishscoobies.net
Hello All

Audi 1.9 TDI 90

Here are the few issues I have with my audi

Problem 1 - I bought it and the speedo intermittently and the ABS light is on intermittently aswell. When I go on the brakes heavy the speedo will work occasionally for some time.
I was told it needed a front drivers side ABS sensor?!

How do you fit this? Its front drivers side!

Still waiting on it to arrive

Problem 2 - What is this
IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

You see the wee black pipe.
It comes off the actuator then looks like it goes into a sensor then out off that..........
No idea what it is?

3-

In the mornings or when the car is left you need to warm the glow plugs 4 or 5 times to get it to start.

BUT if the car is warm it will start 1st/2nd glow

I was told it may be fuel filter but not had the time to check.

4- The LCD on the middle screen in the dial seems ******** its lit up yellow but not sure whats going on as all leds are lit up - Will i need new dials

Thanks for the help in advance

Last edited:
Give folk some time to answer!

For problem 1 you need to scan the ABS controller with vagcom, as well as the instrument cluster.

The speedo doesnt work off the ABS, it has a seperate sender on the transmission for vehicle speed.

For problem 2 i've no idea what pipe you refer to, draw an arrow on your pic perhaps?

For problem 3, have you checked that the glowplugs are actually working? Sounds like a couple of them arent.

4, LCD's can be repaired depending on whats wrong with them. Have you tried pressing or holding down the reset button on the stalk?

Thanks for the reponse mate

1 - I got told by a audi speacilist its all linked the ABS light has the speed sensor as part of it. Thats why when i go heavy on the brakes the speedo works occasionally

2 - Here you go
IMG_0112-1.jpg

3 Can i check them with a multimeter?!

4 - What stock is the reset button on as i couldnt find it?!

Sorry for the silly questions

Thanks for the response mate

1. And i'm telling you the speedo sensor is on the side of the gearbox.

2. Hmm ye i can see it now, not too familiar with TDI engines though so not sure what it is. If it goes to the actuator, then it probably should be going to either the inlet manifold or the airbox, after having passed thru the N75 valve?

3. Perhaps, its just a heating element. Check for resistance between each plug and earth. You'll need to remove the wiring to do so.

4. Its on the bottom of the right hand stalk.

1 - Is it easy to locate?

2 - Where it sitting in the picture seems where it should be naturally if you get me. It was tucked under the coolant tank?!?!

3- I will do this at the weekend

4 - There is nothing under the wiper stock at all :-(

Thanks mate

I've never tried to change one, but its on the nearside of the tranny, above and forward of the driveshaft iirc.

Hmm, need to wait for someone more accustomed to TDI's. My only thaughts are that perhaps its supposed to connect to a vaccum resovoir, which is usually situated behind the passenger wing, or perhaps someones added it for a boost guage? Can you perhaps get a better quality pic of where it attaches to the engine, and the valve you mention?

I presume your car doesnt have the full DIS then. Cars with a full DIS have a big LCD panel in the middle of the dash, which gives you various info such as fuel consumption etc, and some extra buttons on the stalk to flip thru the options. Does your car have four big lights instead?

Maybe your LCD is just to display radio information? I've never seen a car with the older non-DIS cluster, so i've no idea whats supposed to be on the display.

i dunno how you can have a screen but no stalk to control it?

If it looks like Axios's pic, then you should have the controls on the wiper stalk...

Axios - Its the exact same as your first pic

As for it nto working the whole screen is glowing yellow like everything is lit up on the top half?!?!

I have checked the stalk but nothing on it and its the original clocks and stalk?!?! I will check again incase I have not seen it.

Thanks for all the help its much appreciated.

Also the LCD does work as i press the dash buttons and it changes colour so its active just every part of its lit up - Will take a picture tonight and put it up.

Hopefully ABS sensor comes today.

Will a fault code reader pick up the no speedo issue?

Also how will i get the speedo working again.

So its 100% NOT related to the ABS sensor a i was told the ABS sensor is the speed sensor aswell.....

The reason i believed it was when i went hard on the brakes the speedo would work for a few hours then randomly stop

The only problem i need/want fixed ASAP is the speedo issue.

Last edited:
Also how will i get the speedo working again.

So its 100% NOT related to the ABS sensor a i was told the ABS sensor is the speed sensor aswell.....

The reason i believed it was when i went hard on the brakes the speedo would work for a few hours then randomly stop

Could be a lose connection.

Part 9 is the speed sensor and its in the gear box.

Hmmmm

I found this and it shows the speed sensor at the wheel on number 3
On more investigation its the ABS/Speed sensor

I wonder by sorting that will it give me my speedo back.

I hope its not a serious issue all i want is a speedo :-(

I am using the Impreza until i get this sorted dont want my missus running about with no speedo - Was supposed to be taking the Audi to London next week doesnt look like it now :-(
speedsensortb2.jpg

Last edited:
There is a wheel speed sensor on each wheel, these are ONLY for the ABS.

The vehicle speedo is driven by a sensor on the gearbox, and this signal is also sent to the ABS unit.

If the gearbox sensor fails, its entirely possible you'll get an ABS light, because it can see the wheels turning but is getting no speedo input. I've never heard of one failing, but given its intermittant nature its entirely possible its a bad connection or broken cable or similar.

You should be able to see it no problems from underneath. as i said earlier and as shown on axios' diagram, its just infront of the driveshaft on the nearside.

It sounds like someone has changed the clocks and failed to fix the speedo - but in doing so has fitted one with DIS. If you want original clocks PM me on here and ill trade you as im looking for some DIS ones.

The speed sensor has nothing to do with ABS. The sensor is on the gearbox. Change it.

As for the black pipe, unplug it and if the car runs, bin it. Could be anything.

Change the glowpulgs, theyre about £3 each and as simple to change as sparkplugs. When you get the old ones out you can test them with a set of jumpleads to see how slowly they glow when 12v is applied. Brand new ones are instant and will sort the starting problem out. Dont bother with a multimeter, for the price just change them.

The car is on a V plate if that makes a difference

The milage,date,trip computer and back light and revs work fine just the speedo is a bit mental.

Car runs fine with it unplugged, VERY economical.

Yea think i will put new glow plugs in it :)

Have you a pic of the older dials? as my LCD for the DIS is all lit up - the top half is yellow but i assume thats a ABS sensor as then you press a button on the clocks the colour of it changes.

Right checked the stalk thouroughly and no controls on it.

The dials have never been changed either as when the engine was changed the dials stayed in the car.

I wonder has the stock been broke before or something like that.

The DIS screen works but shows no images or that just the lights change colour like something should be on the screen you know.

Garage checked the car and said the speedo issue is the ABS/Speed sensor in the front right wheel causing the speedo not to work. The mechanic guy has a A4 :) BUT i will wait till its fixed to pass judgement.

Get an image of your clocks for us to see and change that ABS sensor, since your not paying any attention to the poeple that you asked for help.

I am paying attention to the people on here just I am wanting it fixed so nipped over to the garage to see what they would say as i dont have time to get teh car over to the farm and on the ramps myself as my Impreza is in the garage getting new brakes ect ect

Why surely..

With DIS
140.jpg

Without DIS
images

Someones either swapped the stalks or the speedo.

For the ninth time, the ABS sensor is nothing to do with the speedo. You probably just have a duff sensor which is putting the ABS light on. Buy one off ebay for about £17.

Yea mine is "WITH DIS" BUT instead of an image on the screen its all lit up with nothing on it.

Will the NON DIS dials just be a straight fit?

Yea the car needs a ABS sensor anyways so waiting on it coming. Im putting it to the garage on Monday to get sorted i cant be ***** with it lol

Im not saying any of you are wrong but i am looking at ALL things it could be. Just eager to get the **** sorted lol

Yeah fair one, at least it will be guaranteed by te garage if they say they can fix it. i wouldnt take any jip off them if they replace the abs sensor though and it still has a problem, id just whine and moan until they sort it properly.

The garage I use are decent they do the work on my Impreza and been using them for years :)

He said if wont give it back till its sorted and he lets me sorce the parts as i get them cheap cheap :)

Did you say the engine was changed? If so was this in your ownership as you seem to be adament that the clocks havent been changed, but if the engine was changed at some point for a 2nd hand unit, possibly the ecu and clocks were changed from donor car as a requirement for that engine to work hence not having the correct clocks/stalks. They will not be connected properly.

Does your car have a digital clock? If so i think you will need clocks with a digital clock also. Im sure if the dis is just goosed you couls put a new display in,or just turn it off?

He cant turn it off as he doesnt have the stalk controls :p

Either, someones changed the stalk and used a non-dis one, or someones fitted a DIS cluster to a non-DIS car and its lit up like that because its not wired properly.

Right checked the stalk thouroughly and no controls on it.

The dials have never been changed either as when the engine was changed the dials stayed in the car.

I wonder has the stock been broke before or something like that.

The DIS screen works but shows no images or that just the lights change colour like something should be on the screen you know.

Garage checked the car and said the speedo issue is the ABS/Speed sensor in the front right wheel causing the speedo not to work. The mechanic guy has a A4 :) BUT i will wait till its fixed to pass judgement.

The speedo sensor is on the gearbox not the ABS sensor. You could remove the entire ABS setup and the speedo should still work.

I would look for a blown fuse before condenming the dash etc. The Dis controls are at the end of the wiper stalk and a button on the underside HTH

Hi All

I called the garage who did the engine but he needs to check his paperwork to see what was all done.

Byzan - Where should it be plugged into mate?

Also where will i find the fuse for the speedo?

Thanks lads

The only sensible advice I can offer is to part/ex the car for a proper facelift A4 that hasn't been hacked about by Dr Frankenstein.

Quicker and easier than trying to unstitch someone else's bad workmanship.

IMHO.

Well

Replaced the ABS sensor and now the speedo is working perfect.
2 New battery and fuel filter - Car starts first time now
The thing in the engine bay is a mystery and will remain that :-0
The wee screen isnt working so looking to swap gauges with someone as they dont seem to be for my car.

theyve changed something besides the abs sensor then! you can un-plug all the abs sensors and the speedo will still work!

maybe theyve spotted that when the engine was changed theyve trapped the wires for the speedo sensor inbetween the gearbox and engine.

that little pipe where does it come from/what is it attached to? looks like one of the vacuum pipes for the turbo/egr actuator system?

Last edited: