my A4 avant quattro

Strange day today,

Went and rescued my dad who has been snowed in, for summer tyres the quattro is very good.

IMAG3998 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

And at the summit

IMAG3994 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

After we had returned from hunting (big shop) I got chance to mess with my wheels

In the booth prepped and clean

IMAG4002 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Then ground coat black

IMAG4005 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Then on with silver followed by clear coat

IMAG4009 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

IMAG4010 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Tomorrow it will be polish the other three lips then clean the insides as once the wheels are rebuilt they will need balancing.

Jake

Did a bit more on the wheels today,

Sanded the barrels as they were corroded, then put into the booth for primer then paint, went for a gun metal finish inside

IMAG4013 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

IMAG4017 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

IMAG4019 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Did the centre caps too

IMAG4016 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Here are the centres out of the booth in day light

IMAG4023 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Then this aft had a oem Bluetooth module fitted and coded. It's really surprising how much you miss them

Jake

Not hanging around as usual I see. Looking forward to the fitted pics of the alloys.

Do you know if the coming home mod works on the B6?

im not sure sorry,

one thing that has slightly bugged/worried me is the car feels quite notchy on the gear change, hard to get into first and second, well today I changed my gearbox oil, which made a slight improvement nothing drastic, so I used a guide on fine adjustment of the linkage,

what the guide doesn't show is how to get to it so:

take the gear lever off, stupid clip.. I replaced the metal clip with a hose clip after,

then you have to pull the foam out, and the ashtray with 2 8mm bolts,
push the ashtray back, there's some rubber matting, fold that back, and under it a plastic cover with 2 10mm bolts,
undo these and then you can see the linkage,

use this vid

its made a massive difference,

ive also found a few little niggles to sort to keep me busy haha

im not sure sorry,

one thing that has slightly bugged/worried me is the car feels quite notchy on the gear change, hard to get into first and second, well today I changed my gearbox oil, which made a slight improvement nothing drastic, so I used a guide on fine adjustment of the linkage,

what the guide doesn't show is how to get to it so:

take the gear lever off, stupid clip.. I replaced the metal clip with a hose clip after,

then you have to pull the foam out, and the ashtray with 2 8mm bolts,
push the ashtray back, there's some rubber matting, fold that back, and under it a plastic cover with 2 10mm bolts,
undo these and then you can see the linkage,

use this vid

its made a massive difference,

ive also found a few little niggles to sort to keep me busy haha

Jake

I have what sounds like a similar problem and also changed my gear oil which definitely improved it, but I still have a notchy first and second. Desperate for the weekend to come round to try this as if this works it will be amazing as the shift does annoy me ! I will definitely owe you a beer!

It really does make that much difference, it's a bit of a paint to get to but the actual adjustment is easy

I first moved the whol assembly forward a little bit then the rod I moved back with a tiny little twist, and it's now smooth into gear.

It really does make that much difference, it's a bit of a paint to get to but the actual adjustment is easy

I first moved the whol assembly forward a little bit then the rod I moved back with a tiny little twist, and it's now smooth into gear.
I've had the ash tray out already so sort of know how to get to it.

What are your other niggles with the car?

Front bush is perished from engine to front panel, sump plug slight leak and I think the oil filter housing is slightly leaking. We're talking dribbles. So nipped everything up n ordered a few bits.

Also got some heated fan washer jets from vw to fit.

I want more sound from the exhaust too

Front bush is perished from engine to front panel, sump plug slight leak and I think the oil filter housing is slightly leaking. We're talking dribbles. So nipped everything up n ordered a few bits.

Also got some heated fan washer jets from vw to fit.

I want more sound from the exhaust too

So you have to retrofit the wiring for the heated jets or does yours already have the wiring? I swapped my nozzles to a fan style jet, didn't think to do heated, or even look to see if there was already wiring there!

Hey guys

This is the oil I used, all genuine stuff from audi, fortune.

Diff and gearbox

IMAG4024 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Then I set about my heated passat washer jets, now the guides say that you have to glue these in place, which is pants and you don't

There are tabs front and back which are straight along the edge, take a soldering iron and heat the tab, then bend it forward, the heat stops it breaking,

IMAG4035 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

IMAG4036 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Then when you fit it to the car simply put the back in first then the tabs you've bent can be pushed in to hold the washer jet in place

Then finally I built the wheels up, torqued to 26ftlb and then tomorrow ill be getting them balanced

IMAG4048 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Jake

Taking ages getting those wheels on pal !!

I need to check if my jets are heated or not

It's meant to snow Thursday anyway so weekend jobs.

My kufatech harnesses are on the way too so sat job may be wheels, headlights and door lights. Haha

How much are the jets these days, and do you have the part number for them?

Great thread bud! going to try that gear linkage adjustment!

Well cars been a pita today,

Dropped the little lad off at nursery and the remote locking wont work, so change the battery and go through the rest procedure. And nothing, so using vagcom I clear the keys and then go to recode but the car won't recognise the key when the buttons pressed, at home I code the other key fine, so I'm now left wondering if the fob is a dud.

On a better note I've ordered 5mm front spacers and 15mm rear both hubbcentric with longer bolts and lockers, unforeseen but not too bad.

Jake

Are the alloys originally from an A3, as they have a really high offset?

Sounds like they're the same as a set I have in storage. I got them from an A3 owner and ended up with 5mm spacers on the front (not 100% essential just for the look) and 15mm rear (or they contacted the suspension).

The spacers arrived just after lunch

So chucked the wheels on,

Tbh could of got away with 10 on the front and maybe 20 on the rear lol

They really suit the car, so happy with them.

My kufatech harnesses came too so the Xenons will go in on Sat.

Then just a few minor bits like the foot well lights and door lights to fit.

Also got the remote locking working on the fob again.

Jake

Reactions: Jimmy TDI
Dunno, only got one working. Guna get the other checked out.

Fitted the lights at dinner

Bumper off jobbie

Then back together

Still need to do the two repair wires but the lights have coded in ok.

One how ever is yellowing. So hope it's just the bulb, not ballast. More honest eBay sellers.

Pics haha

Attachments

• IMAG4070.jpg
    IMAG4070.jpg
    896.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMAG4067.jpg
    IMAG4067.jpg
    796.4 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5 and Charlie Farley
Well good and bad news really

I used the headlights this morning and the colour now looks fine, also ran the wires to the ccm so the high beam works, while I was under there I ran the foot well lights and their wiring.

Then the bad. The control module for them doesn't have the connector I'm meant to patch into lol.

Going to change the internal of the key. thinking the board has gone down, we will see.

Great start. Cars got a lot of potential and Speedlines may be "done to death" but for a reason, great choice of wheel and one of my all time favs.

Looking forward to seeing this progress!!

Just out of interest what's Pat replacing it with?

Totally agree on the Speedlines bud :)

I bought a very cheap mk4 for the time being.
However, I do miss this car quite a bit more than I thought I would. I'll probably be giving Jake a bell in 6-9 months time :meeting:

Reactions: unitzero
you have first refusal for sure,

key is now sorted!!

bought a replacement key off ebay £22.50, same frequency and the remote side coded to the car right away, which means the old key was toasted, kinda weird but after reading it can be as simple as a static shock to kill the board!

anyway cheap fix :)

Tried to do my door puddle and warning lights at dinner, started on the drivers door,

I was a little wary as I don't know how to do the footwell lights as the module seems to be missing the plug.

So I made my own harness and tapped into the plug, earth pin and the the feed.

IMAG4092 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Then you have to notch out the bottom of the card, used a air stone and drill.

IMAG4094 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Then refitted the door card,

And

Nothing,

You then have to reset the module, you do this by taking the passages kick panel off then disconnect the black plug furthest away, it resets the control module, which turns features off when it doesn't sense a feed back

Then we have

IMAG4096 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Just another 3 to do now.

Jake

I had the passenger door card off and wired in the handle light, put it all back together and nothing. No lights, windows don't work from the buttons on that door but do from the drivers side.
Could this reset be what I need? Can you give more detail or a pic of where to find that connector?

I had the passenger door card off and wired in the handle light, put it all back together and nothing. No lights, windows don't work from the buttons on that door but do from the drivers side.
Could this reset be what I need? Can you give more detail or a pic of where to find that connector?

I had the same issue on my first A4, I just disconnected the battery for a couple of seconds to reset it.

I will take a pic next time I do the other door.

Won a new dimming mirror on eBay today.

Did the rear door puddle and warning lights today. Again real easy. This time you need to disconnect the door harness at the b post.