My A3 Boot Build

S

shadow1993

Hey, got some time this weekend to get a lot of work done on my boot sub build.

I wanted to add a little more bass without loosing too much boot space, while doing this i have also managed to add a full size spare alloy.
Parts List:
Pioneer SPH-DA120 head unit
Pioneer GM-D8604 4 Channel Compact Amplifier
Pioneer TS-W310 12" Free Air Subwoofer
8 Gauge Wiring kit
5 sq meters of green carpet underlay (sound deadening)
2 Cans of Evo Stick "Spiderman" spray on glue :D
4 sq meters of 18mm MDF

Build time around 16 hours (not completed yet)
I still need to put in more bracing between bottom MDF plate and the top one to stop a lot of flex.
Also still need to screw the bottom plate down to the car as currently it just snugly fits there.
I will use the cargo strap down points but i would need to make some custom brackets... Any ideas?
Can use the current threaded bolts as securing points.

[URL=http://s692.photobucket.com/user/shadow19935/media/Boot%20Build/20150208_161909_zpswrcxvtxu.jpg.html]

20150208_171611_zpstknnmist.jpg
[/URL]

Still to do:
  • Get the settings just right
  • Find either Carpet or non slip rubber to finish the boot
  • Get a grill for the sub so that the boot is usable

Hope this gives people some ideas on their own builds! :)

Reactions: mister.c. and leshkin
Nice work, I am looking forward to the finished result.

Will the whole build hinge to allow access to the spare wheel?

Nice work, I am looking forward to the finished result.

Will the whole build hinge to allow access to the spare wheel?

Thanks,
Currently there is 4 screws holding the top panel down, but this needs to be increased as there is too much flex.

so not quite sure what im doing there yet..

Any idea where to get OEM carpet?

Where are you based?

You could try eBay...

In scotland..

i tried ebay but didnt find much. and im not buying carpet from caraudio security at £80 quid a roll...

Any ideas on some sort of non slip self adhesive rubber mat?

Could you cut this boot carpet up and use it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-2...671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item419013cbaf

£80 is too much. I'm lucky because in the business park where my audio guys are there is a factory who make automotive carpet...You could call them and see if they've post you some, although I doubt it.

1. D & M Middleton & Son
    Directions
  2. Vehicle Upholsterer
  3. Address: Unit D Middleton Business Parkcartwright Street, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire BD19 5LY
    Phone:01274 871509

Could you cut this boot carpet up and use it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-2...671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item419013cbaf

£80 is too much. I'm lucky because in the business park where my audio guys are there is a factory who make automotive carpet...You could call them and see if they've post you some, although I doubt it.

1. D & M Middleton & Son
    Directions
  2. Vehicle Upholsterer
  3. Address: Unit D Middleton Business Parkcartwright Street, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire BD19 5LY
    Phone:01274 871509

The carpet you linked is too small now that the boot floor has been raised higher :/

Maybe you can get some for me while you are there? :D

The carpet you linked is too small now that the boot floor has been raised higher :/

Maybe you can get some for me while you are there? :D

I would have offered to do that myself but am working away from home.

Let me get on the blower and see if I can locate you some

Reactions: shadow1993
Buddy no luck on the carpet front unfortunately, they haven't got any at the moment.

I will keep my eyes peeled but if you come across some do let me know so I don't end up getting any :)

Reactions: shadow1993
Buddy no luck on the carpet front unfortunately, they haven't got any at the moment.

I will keep my eyes peeled but if you come across some do let me know so I don't end up getting any :)

Just let me know if you find any, dont pull the trigger.. finances looking a bit tight after all my shiny toys.
Thanks though! :)

Reactions: Sayam
Just let me know if you find any, dont pull the trigger.. finances looking a bit tight after all my shiny toys.
Thanks though! :)

No worries I'll PM you if I come across any.

Don't worry about me pulling the trigger, if you don't need/use it I'll give it a home in my car lol...that's not an issue at all.

My mum - "Why are you spending £ blah on a new boot build"

Me - "I had X amount of carpet to use up, seems a shame to waste it"

:p

Reactions: shadow1993 and sliced
No worries I'll PM you if I come across any.

Don't worry about me pulling the trigger, if you don't need/use it I'll give it a home in my car lol...that's not an issue at all.

My mum - "Why are you spending £ blah on a new boot build"

Me - "I had X amount of carpet to use up, seems a shame to waste it"

U got a boot build going too?

Looks really good - I personally would be worried to have my sub there, even with the cover bars. I quite often use my boot for luggage/heavy objects.

Looks really good - I personally would be worried to have my sub there, even with the cover bars. I quite often use my boot for luggage/heavy objects.
Yeah my boot is used quite heavily... I had to build that before the trip i was taking so a quick and cheap solution had to be constructed...

If it wasn't so ****** hard to find decent subwoofer covers i would of got one already.

My boot is filled to the max atleast once or twice a month... no issues so far..

Worst case scenario its only £60 for another sub.

Like the use of the kitchen handles :) looks good and very very neat

I like ur idea, but looking at your project I can improve some things. I wanted to do that but I already have a sub hertz with box and I don't want to throw the box away.

My a3 doesn't have 5th wheel, only gas, so I have abit more free space for it, but even my 13' sub can't fit there if base boot not lifted life you did.

Good Job
PS: I would change ur protection bars, for a iron net.

Like the use of the kitchen handles :) looks good and very very neat

Thank you! I think it looks quite allright but id like to get a proper cover, hard to come by on ebay. If anyone sees any decent metal ones let me know please!

I like ur idea, but looking at your project I can improve some things. I wanted to do that but I already have a sub hertz with box and I don't want to throw the box away.

My a3 doesn't have 5th wheel, only gas, so I have abit more free space for it, but even my 13' sub can't fit there if base boot not lifted life you did.

Good Job
PS: I would change ur protection bars, for a iron net.

U can always lift the floor a little bit.. I didnt have a 5th wheel either but i got lucky and got a genuine wheel with a tyre for free... then got my cousin to paint it in his paint shop.

Can you explain what you mean by an iron net?? just need to get some ideas coz i want to change the sub cover!

Looks good mate, nice clean job. What's the sound like?

Thank you :) Sounds amazing!! I have had to turn all the speakers to -14 on my headunit and the sub to -6 to get it all balanced out, Also the gain setting on the amp is on normal but the bass is imense!

still need to change out all the audi speakers for some pioneer ones i have sitting waiting to be put in.!

Nice job, what speakers did you go for to replace the stock ones?

How would i shape that? or they come pre shaped with fittings?

on 2nd photo- > you can bend it very well, and shape it easly