My 8L S3 thinks it has 4 doors!

Westy

Reaction score
Most of you will probaly know I've been having alarm issues ever since buying my S3 last year. The alarm has never armed and VCDS shows no errors.

After a bit more investigation from the 4Rings boys I now know what the problem is, my car thinks it has 4 doors and it thinks the rear doors are open.

Now my only guess is that one of the previous owners had a problem with the central locking pump and replaced it with one from a 4 door A3 and kept the A3 coding on it!

Steve from 4 rings tried 3 different codes on the central locking pump but they all came up with the same problem. I had a different pump fitted last month so I know this is a coding issue as apposed to a pump issue.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can sort this issue because 4rings and myself are stumped?

:idea:

Add another two doors?

Sorry, it had to be said! :laugh:

Does the DIS show a graphic for a 2 door or 4 door? If the former can the loom(?) be fixed so the car thinks it does have four doors with the "rear 2" being permanently closed? Or would it not be as simple as adding in a couple of extra wires and creating a closed loop (like a closed door contact or something)?

Last edited:
The Dis is for a 3 door and only shows the front doors and boot when open. If I use VCDS to scan the central locking pump I can see it thinks there are rear doors which are displaying as open.

Messing with the loom seems a bit extreme as this is a caoding problem of some sort and should be fairly easy to fix by adjusting the coding on the pump somehow.

Steve from 4 rings tried 3 different codes on the central locking pump but they all came up with the same problem. I had a different pump fitted last month so I know this is a coding issue as apposed to a pump issue.

Messing with the loom seems a bit extreme as this is a coding problem of some sort and should be fairly to easy fix by adjusting the coding on the pump somehow.

It may be a bit "extreme" fiddling with the loom and it may be bit of a kludge but how much time have you spent on this already? Its just a thought. :shrug:

Well the goof thing is that as I have already paid 4Rings once for the investigation and they couldn't sort the problem they will be coming back for another "free of charge" visit. They have gone off to try and do some research to try and fix this issue properly so I thought I'd ask the question at the same time.