My 2.0 tdi seems sluggish in 1st and 2nd gear

fozworth

Reaction score
Hi I've not long had my 2005 2.0 tdi 140bhp s line and I have to say that in 1st and 2nd gear. It doesn't seem that amaizing though in third gear it comes to life I wouldn't say it was flat but just not that quick of the mark , a bit lazy. My last tdi was a seat Ibiza fr tdi 1.9 remapped to 186bhp so maybe it's the size of car and power drop but as I've not got any other audi to drive and compare against I'm just wondering if it's as it should be.
Cheers ja

It sounds like it is normal. Look at the performance figures of the 1.9 150bhp Seat's and match with the 2.0 TDI. On paper the 2.0TDI is appalling although it doesn't actually feel that bad. I suspect 1st and 2nd are the culprits.

ive drove a 2.0tdi 140 b8 a4 and i found it dead! wouldnt pull u outa bed!

Same here.. Mine didn't feel as though it would pull the skin off a rice pudding. Its remapped now and its a lot better but it will never be a fast car. Its just not what the tdi was made for. Sit back and enjoy the economy instead!

i also had a b8 2.0 tdi s line courtesy car and the performance was very disappointing! i know mine is the same engine, but it feels much more lively.
fozworth, try holding the revs in the turbo then release the clutch! it works for me:yes:

Same here guys my car doing same first I thought it was some sort of problem, it’s very dangerous specially on roundabouts. I need to learn how to drive TDI lol

So glad I got the 170 version!

lol.... Until you see one of us waving as we pass when your on the hard shoulder with a dodgy injector!

Slow and steady wins the race........ Who am I trying to kid, I wish I had the 170!

HI i've also got an A3 2.0 TDI (140) and yeah it's a bit sluggish in 1st gear but soon as i put it into 2nd it takes off like a rocket! And as i'm sure you all know it has a 6 speed gearbox so in my opinion i think it is a very quick car.

I know it's hard to read but there was meant to be some irony with my previous comment! The 170 seems to be riddled with 'design characteristics' that make it a joy to live with... can anyone say time bomb lol

I think the best solution is to go for a 140 and get it remapped if you want day to day smiles and reliability to match!

3.0 v6 tdi if I had my time again!!!!! ...........saying that.... I may have my time again. S-Line SE 170 anyone????

Yep 3.0Tdi V6 is the way to go - never looked back after getting mine - it's so much fun and solid

It's perfectly normal for the 140 to be pants in 1st and 2nd.
I had mine remapped and thatbissue vanished.
Get the remap - you won't regret it