Facelift Music Options

KenL

Reaction score
What ways can I play music in my FL A3 with standard set up please?

I use a USB memory stick in my MINI. Will that work and will album art appear on the screen?

What other options do I have? Don't want to use my phone.

Thanks!

I am just using a 64GB SD card with FLAC files, artwork works, and with B&O the sound quality is excellent.

Thanks.

If I go to SD I assume I would need to also buy a cable to connect it to my laptop.

Will it play all file formats, apple, mp3 etc?

Thanks.

If I go to SD I assume I would need to also buy a cable to connect it to my laptop.

Will it play all file formats, apple, mp3 etc?
Unless your laptop has a built in card reader in which case you might just need an adaptor, which normally comes supplied with your SD Card.

Reactions: KenL
Will have a look, thanks.

I am just using a 64GB SD card with FLAC files, artwork works, and with B&O the sound quality is excellent.
I am interested in converting to FLAC and have the software etc. Can you hear much difference on the B&O compared to MP3?

What ways can I play music in my FL A3 with standard set up please?

I use a USB memory stick in my MINI. Will that work and will album art appear on the screen?

What other options do I have? Don't want to use my phone.

Thanks!
SD card is the easiest, I tried the USB way and it's not as good. As for album art: for it to show on the mmi it as to be 500x500 max and under 200KB in size.

I got this card for £11 Amazon product

NB: the prices change daily! Also skip between the standard packaging option and the frustration free packaging, as sometimes it's around £7 difference!!!
Sd

Reactions: KenL
How come you dont want to use your phone? I think the bluetooth streaming is excellent. Open spotify and select a playlist, then leave the phone in the armrest charging and you can control the music via the strereo. Simple!

I am interested in converting to FLAC and have the software etc. Can you hear much difference on the B&O compared to MP3?

To tell you the truth if the mp3s are encoded at 320kbps I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind test.
If the MP3s are 128kbps then yes, there is a difference.

Reactions: Simon L and jaypers777
How come you dont want to use your phone? I think the bluetooth streaming is excellent. Open spotify and select a playlist, then leave the phone in the armrest charging and you can control the music via the strereo. Simple!
Don't have spotify!

To tell you the truth if the mp3s are encoded at 320kbps I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind test.
If the MP3s are 128kbps then yes, there is a difference.
Had a play yesterday using EAC and ripped a few CD's to FLAC. Not night and day, but there is definitely an improvement in separation and in particular bass depth and clarity. My MP3's weren't as high as 320kbps. Think I'll upgrade from a 32gb SD card to 128gb and slowly migrate to FLAC. Can't do any harm.

Had a play yesterday using EAC and ripped a few CD's to FLAC. Not night and day, but there is definitely an improvement in separation and in particular bass depth and clarity. My MP3's weren't as high as 320kbps. Think I'll upgrade from a 32gb SD card to 128gb and slowly migrate to FLAC. Can't do any harm.

I didn't notice much difference with FLAC on the B&O and decided it wasn't worth the extra storage space. Agree with Mike though it does make a big difference what your MP3's are encoded at, mine are nearly all at 320 with a few slightly lower.

Reactions: jaypers777
I've already got a couple of Micro SD cards loaded with FLAC files (I use them in my Pono, a Hi-Res music player). I'm assuming that I'll be able to slip the Micro SD's into a card adaptor to use the S3 SD card slot (?).

Does anyone else have experience using an adaptor with Micro SD cards?

Last edited:
I've already got a couple of Micro SD cards loaded with FLAC files (I use them in my Pono, a Hi-Res music player). I'm assuming that I'll be able to slip the Micro SD's into a card adaptor to use the S3 SD card slot (?).

Does anyone else have experience using an adaptor with Micro SD cards?

MicroSD cards in adapters is literally all I use (SD card wise, I also use the jukebox, but loaded from MicroSD). I get them for free at work, so buying "full size" SD Cards would be an un-needed expense!

MicroSD cards in adapters is literally all I use (SD card wise, I also use the jukebox, but loaded from MicroSD). I get them for free at work, so buying "full size" SD Cards would be an un-needed expense!

Thanks for taking the time to advise! Just what I wanted to hear :smiley:

I haven't got my S3 yet but am I correct to assume that I'll not be able to play Blu-Ray or DVD-Audio discs whilst I'm driving? I'm guessing that, as far as the car is concerned, it will simply recognise them as movies and prevent playback? Thanks in advance to anyone who can confirm!