Murder It build

GGG_666

Black it out!
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm Geoff and live in Cambridge
Been on here for a bit now but I'm one of the quiet ones. Figured I'd share some progress on my car
This isn't my first car build. I lived in Japan for 6 years and had a Toyota Starlet GT (1.3 turbo) then moved to the UK and had a MK4 VW Golf GTI with coilovers, ARBs, FMIC, TBE, Intake, Re-map. I got a new clutch installed and then for some reason I decided to drive it into a brick fence (thank you black ice) At the same time as the Golf I had a 450+HP S15 Nissan Silvia that is now sold and now I have my 2006 A3 2.0T 6 speed quattro
When I first bought it
Before
Straight away I knew what I wanted....to get it like my Golf was
Enter my first set up. H&R premium performance coilovers with H&R ARBs and Miro STP2 wheels (fake splits) (19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear ET48) I also de-baged the front with a FK grill and the rear with the missus hair dryer, dental floss and some WD40 and also installed a ATP turbo 3" intake

Here it is without spacers
NoSpacers
Then I added spacer 15mm front and 17.5mm rear. Yes this rubbed/scrubbed a lot (also moved house in case you can't tell)
At this point I also had HID lights installed along with LED interior and exterior
I really didn't like the H&R coilovers, they felt too soft for me since they had progressive spings so I did more research and found BC Racing coilovers with 10k springs. Out with the old and in with the new. Shortly after fitting the new suspension I decided I wanted some new wheels because I was getting tired of the tyres rubbing with the over aggressive fit.
I found VMRs to be fairly inexpensive and decent looking so I ordered a set of the V701s 19x8.5 ET45. When they arrived one of them was dented/chipped so the guys at VMR sent me a new one and let me keep the damaged one. Figuring that I'd have to get it repaird to run it as a full size spare I decided to get them all powder coated satin black (powder coated wheel is on the left in the picture)
20131219 181734
While the wheels were in limbo I started researching re-maps and exhausts and decided to go to AmD for a TBE Miltek and stage 2 re-map
Image2014 06 10 080012 Page 1
Decided at this point to get an oil catch/pcv re-vamp kit. I went with CTS Motorsports Catch Can. The only problem with theirs is that it's not made for Euro spec cars with the fuel vapor catch. Luckily I have a friend that's handy at welding and he whipped up a litte tubeuler bracket and bolted it down near the battery box
20140504 115049

20140504 115034
20140504 133419
20140504 143439
20140504 143637
I also did a rear wiper delete from these guys
Willkommen - Heckwischerabdeckung, Blindstopfen, Kappe, Glasstopfen, De-wiper, Plug, Grommet, Cap?

View attachment 35032
Then put my new wheels on
No spacers
VMRs
I aslo had the car detailed by Cabridge Valet Center becasue I was too scared to go at the car with a buffer on my own
CLEAN!
20140531 191952
When the car was in for detail I pulled the wheels off becasue I needed new tyres and then added spacers when I put the wheels back on. ECS Tuning 8mm front and 10mm rear spacers. I get a little scrubbing from these as it's now ET37 front and ET35 rear but these will be coming off after GTI International.
20140527 155951

20140601 153026
clean engine now too
20140531 170959
New wheels and coilovers=alignment issues. I ran thru a set of tyres in a matter of 2 months even with an alignment being done. I was told that my camber couldn't be adjusted any more on the stock arms.....so back to the researching and I came up with these
034 Motorsports rear upper control arms. They add an additional 5 degrees of adjustment
20140527 155836
and decided while I'm at it I might as well do the lower arms too. Megan Racing rear lower toe arms
20140527 155723

Back to AmD for install and a laser alignment
Image2014 06 10 075935
So that's where I stand now.
Next on the list
tinting rear lights
034 motorsport shift knob
clutch/flywheel (still deciding which one)
CTS Turbo short shifter and FMIC
HPFP with stage 2+ tune
20140601 153425
If you see me around, say hi...wave...flash (your lights only please)
any suggestions I'm open ears

Reactions: HHS3 and Compkiler
nice motor mate, mods look good too, not so sure on the front grille tho...

Looks lovely, any chance of a straight side-on shot for stance oggling?

Thanks! Its tough trying to get a mix of "form and function"

Thats true.....very easy to get too much show,and not enough go,but I think you're well on the right side of that.

And,I can see you've been to my car's favourite holiday destination.....

Thats true.....very easy to get too much show,and not enough go,but I think you're well on the right side of that.

And,I can see you've been to my car's favourite holiday destination.....

Alex is secretly an AMD shareholder.

Reactions: GGG_666, Ron burgundy and S3Alex
Reactions: wuta3 and warren_S5
Nice progress. Funnily enough I now have a black T FSI and have owned a 200sx and starlet.

Reactions: GGG_666
Love this! Very well put together and I like the direction you're going with it :thumbs up:

Reactions: GGG_666
I had the car up for sale, no takers... I figured as much. so.... car is now out of the paint booth, all dents dings and scratches have been taken out of the drivers side, the bonnet and the passenger side front wing.... I'm very happy about this. I've also ordered a CTS motorsport intercooler, turbo outlet pipe (TOP) and throttle pipe along with their short shifter. Next on the list is clutch and HPFP :) Will post pics during the install

Thought about updating the rear lights? I've just done mine and it's made a huge difference.

I've thought about it but I just had this 3M light tint put on. Its kind of this honeycomb mesh vinyl that still lets enuf light thru. It's not over the top or anything crazy but the lights look black from certain angles

I believe that's what it is. I was looking at new lights and this was the cheap option so I could get other parts. Car looks good

All parts have shown up so now it's a matter of getting them fitted.... and saving some cash for more

Little update. Intercooler, TOP and TIP pipes are in along with the short shifter. Feels great! Ordering the HPFP and cam follower this weekend along with a southbend stage 3 endurance clutch kit, and 034motorsports billet aluminum engine/trans and dogbone mounts....then it'll be off to AMD for a re-re-map :) I've also installed a Defi boost gauge in the center vent, the control box is in the glove box and the new mini control unit is double side taped near my headlight switch. I know a lot of people don't like boost gauges but whatevs, it looks cool

Little update. Intercooler, TOP and TIP pipes are in along with the short shifter. Feels great! Ordering the HPFP and cam follower this weekend along with a southbend stage 3 endurance clutch kit, and 034motorsports billet aluminum engine/trans and dogbone mounts....then it'll be off to AMD for a re-re-map :) I've also installed a Defi boost gauge in the center vent, the control box is in the glove box and the new mini control unit is double side taped near my headlight switch. I know a lot of people don't like boost gauges but whatevs, it looks cool

Defi is the nicest of the boost gauges and would have been my first choice if they read beyond 2bar.

Boost gauge can actually be quite useful,regardless of those that don't like them.

Nice mods, car looks good. Apart from the front grille.

Defi is the nicest of the boost gauges and would have been my first choice if they read beyond 2bar.

Boost gauge can actually be quite useful,regardless of those that don't like them.
I got the 2bar one. I'm not going mental when it comes time to change the turbo

Reactions: S3Alex
I'm pretty excited, Southbend Stage 3 Endurance Clutch and 034Motorsports Engine/Trans and Dogbone mounts go in this Saturday. Once I bed the clutch in I'll be giving AmD a call for my HPFP install and a re-tune. After that it's a matter of saving for turbo upgrade :)

Engine Mount
Dogbone
Mount Insert

Reactions: S3Alex
Installed this last night, I'm happy with it. Very straight forward install
OSIR

Reactions: Mindak
all is well with the install. Have to say that the noise in the cabin from the engine is much louder now. The clutch is amazing! It's all or nothing if that makes sense.

all is well with the install. Have to say that the noise in the cabin from the engine is much louder now. The clutch is amazing! It's all or nothing if that makes sense.

The all or nothing is part is due to the clutch being essentially a paddle type design,with multiple friction areas made of Kevlar.

The Spec Stg3+ can achieve a much higher torque loading(570lbs) and still be able to slip it when required.

Point is though,if it works for you,then it's good.

The all or nothing is part is due to the clutch being essentially a paddle type design,with multiple friction areas made of Kevlar.

The Spec Stg3+ can achieve a much higher torque loading(570lbs) and still be able to slip it when required.

Point is though,if it works for you,then it's good.

I actually don't mind it. I'm used to it from previous cars. I'm glad I decided to change the clutch now, the stock one was smoothed right out.
I'd like to get your opinion on some turbo stuff when you have a minute

Reactions: kaspar
I actually don't mind it. I'm used to it from previous cars. I'm glad I decided to change the clutch now, the stock one was smoothed right out.
I'd like to get your opinion on some turbo stuff when you have a minute

Anytime.
Just drop me a PM