1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multitronic or Automatic?

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by davidif, Jun 22, 2012.

1. davidif

davidif New Member

Hi ive been away from Audi's for a while (well not totally as the wife has an A4 cab) but i now fancy an A6 TDI but i'd like an auto transmission. However i seem to remember that lots of people had problems with the multitronic and indeed my local mechanic (exAudi tech) says to stay away from multitronic cars! I seem to recall that the quattro autos were not multitronic but instead a proper torque converter auto but my recolection is a little vague can anyone confirm this or otherwise.

Thanks in anticipation,Dave

2. a6_chris

a6_chris Well-Known Member

fwd = multitronic

quattro = tiptronic (proper auto)

I think in the facelift cars the multi box came somewhat more reliable ;)

3. murran

murran Active Member

stick with cogs and clutches. they wont leave you with 3.5k repair bills without warning.

i'd never have an auto............. ever.

you joined 6 years ago and this is your first post?

4. a6_chris

a6_chris Well-Known Member

That's why you get an Audi warranty for those unwanted little problems ;)

And better late than never!!

5. fishyfish

fishyfish Member

My last car was an 2005 A4 with the multitronic box... and yes, I was bitten firmly in the wallet area when the dreaded PRNDS started flashing. I got "lucky", as just a gearbox control unit (£900 fitted by an indy garage), but I was really kicking myself for not having researched properly before getting the vehicle.

I would never get one again... they just seem too fragile, hardly anyone services them, and they cost the earth to fix or replace (I think I was quoted something ludicrous like about 8K by the local Audi dealer).

I now have a quattro A6 avant with the "proper" tiptronic auto and the 3.0 TDI, and I think it is a combo made in heaven ;)

6. amimmortal

amimmortal Member

Multitronic box repairs are significantly cheaper than they used to be (£1200 for a replacement). Also, failure rates on the multitronic tend to be more common on older (6 clutch) versions, and then generally on the higher torque (2.5+) engines. A 1.9 tdi multitronic with the new 7 clutch should be reliable enough.

7. fishyfish

fishyfish Member

Wow... that's come down quite a bit, although I bet the devil is in the details (i.e. labour costs).

I agree that the newer boxes are probably fine when matched to a 1.9/2.0 TDI and have the fluids changed like clockwork, but I still contend that a) the A6 just feels underwhelming with a four-pot, and b) it seems slightly unhinged that they even offer the multitronic box paired with the 2.7 V6 TDI, given it is right on the torque rating (400Nm)

8. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

2nd your opinion ! I don't have two left legs as such i love to be in control of what speed i am in WHEN i want !

9. crispin

crispin Member

3.0 TDI quattro Tiptronic, the ultimate!!!

10. gupsterg

gupsterg Active Member

:iagree:, luv take off from standstill :racer: