1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multitronic multitrouble

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by edmorales, Nov 30, 2006.

1. edmorales

edmorales Member

[Nov 30, 2006]
    does anyone here has or have experience shifting problems and performance troubles with this gearbox?
    ed:motz:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Nov 30, 2006]
    have a search, there appears to be some interesting problems with the multi-box. Luckily all reports have had them fixed under warranty.

The start of most of these problems is a flashing gear selection display.
  4. Elsa_Man

Elsa_Man New Member

[Dec 7, 2006]
    Multitronic CVT boxes are notorious for giving trouble. The main causes are sticking valve bodys, and wear in the clutch plates within the input shaft. The main problems noticed by the driver will be either delays in selecting / changing gear or a juddering when accellerating / decellerating.
  5. cadders

cadders Member

[Dec 8, 2006]
    Hi, I have a multironic gearbox in my 2.0 FSI and have posted a number of times regarding issues with it so just do a search on my user name.

The ECU unit in mine failed (resulting in the gear indicator on the DIS flashing) a few months ago and had be replaced. As I type this I am just about to collect my car from the dealers as the gearbox went into 'safe mode' (no revs above about 1200 rpm) a couple of days ago. Appearently they did not set the 'adaptation' settings correctly when they replaced the gearbox ECU and over time they went out of tolerance. Fortunately all under warranty.

The re-occuring theme on these boxes is the requirement to have the automatic transmission fluid changed every 40,000 miles. They were originally sold as 'sealed for life' but after a number of failures Audi appear to have recommended the ATF fluid be changed every 40,000. However, I've done a bit of digging around and it seems that this messege either did not always get through, or, as it was merely a recommendation, not manditory, was simply ignored by some owners / dealers.

I do not know how many miles yours has done, but the symtoms seem similar to other posts I have read, and in many cases the ATF change seemed to fix the problem. I had mine done (as a precautionary measure) and it cost £150 at an Audi dealer.
  6. Macduff

Macduff Member

[Dec 8, 2006]
    I would have expected Audi to pick up the tab as this is a cost you would not have budgeted for when buying the car.
  7. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 8, 2006]
    My Multitronic was sold new in 2003, and the service book clearly states the fluid must be changed at 40,000 mile intervals.

The other useful thing to do (and it doesn't cost a penny) is to clean the torque sensors in the wheel hubs from time to time. A simple task. Even a moron like me can do it.
  8. Teutonic_Tamer

Teutonic_Tamer GreasedMonkey HoofHearted

[Mar 9, 2007]