1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multitronic - Differences between B6 and B7 versions

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by imported_CurryMilkShake, Nov 18, 2005.

1. I have a 2004 B6 130tdi with multitronic, that Im very used to. I have the S mode as well as D (i understand early versions only had D) as well as tiptronic controls, both at the gearstick and at the Steering wheel.

My best mate however, just picked up a gorgeous 05 black B7 1.8T with multitronic this week..

and what neither of us expected were the differences..

He doesnt have the steering wheel controls - fair enough, that was an option.

BUT - the multitronic is no longer the smooth seamless flow that it was!

It appears that in order to pander to popular taste, and the 'feel' of a conventional auto or DSG, the box no longer behaves as a CVT, but has been programmed to behave like a normal auto.

To clarify - on mine, in drive or in S, the revs will go to whatever point the power demanded dictates, and remain there without wavering - while the speed catches up perfectly smoothly.. If I switch to tiptronic mode though, it acts like a normal 6 speed box, changes to the next ratio being triggered by the various tiptronic controls, or by kickdown, or it will change itself at the appropriate revs, just like a DSG.

On his new one - the Box ALWAYS acts like mine does in tiptronic mode - with the 'simulated' gear ratios, acting and feeling like a traditional auto.. Its also changed to 7 ratios instead of the 6 on mine.

We were both a little disappointed - while his is just as rewarding in tiptronic mode, taking control - it now lacks the finesse and smoothness in normal driving that the older multitronic has..

Its not a huge issue, just seems almost a shame - the old one gives you the best of both worlds - the new is still a lovely box, but just has artificially masked what was a great attribute.

Mind you.. that B7 does look GREAT in Black, alu trim and window trim, RS4 type 18" wheels.. yum!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. gizze

gizze Member

Now, funny you say that, I had a 2.0tdi s-line the other day and when I took it back I asked if it was a tiptronic box as it changed more like a tip than the multi I have had on 3 audis, the guy said no but I thought it weird.

4. yak

yak Member

I noticed the same in A6, in S-mode it changed "gears" and wasn't smoothly at 5500rpm or something (I drove the 2,4), but on the D-mode it behaved like I was expecting it to, staying at the 4000rpm when accelerating.

Sad that S-mode isn't doing that anymore.