Multifunction Steering Wheel with paddles

V6 Quatt

Reaction score
Another steering wheel question.

I already have a multifunction wheel on my 3.0 TDI A4 B7 but wanted to upgrade with the flappy paddles for my tiptronic.

I have seen one on ebay with multifunction, shift paddles and complete with Air bag off an Audi S5

Will it be a straight swap?? and would it possible to get the progammed paddles to work??

Help needed as I dont want to purchase in error.

If anybody can recommend me to someone who knows about this mod?? would be appriciated.

Depends on the year of the wheel, any pics?

Again, post pic of the wheel so we're sure of the type incase its been labelled wrong.

Wheel.jpg

Yep, should be straight swap, with one bit of coding in VCDS. Go to module 16 and code for tiptronic.
I done the same mod for another guy not too long ago.

The airbag loom on the S5 wheel may need adapting or you may have to use your existing partially, you'd have to check this upon purchase.

that s5 wheel looks just like the one on my a6 s line, i guess its worth more if its advertised as an S5 one

Its a little chunkier, is nicer to drive with tbh as same as rs6 diameter.

Standard is round afaik, RS6 wheel is great, just sold new one, but have another coming, not cheap thats for sure.

Are you sure that S5 wheel pictured is same rim width as an RS wheel - I suspect it's same as the S4 wheel (not flat bottom variant), which is slimmer than RS - and the same as the S-lines.
Did the S5 not have aluminium paddles too - I do not know ? That image looks to have plastic versions.

The wheel variants that Audi offer is boggling in terms of diameter, width and then trim finishes too.

None of the wheels have aluminium paddles, its just plastic plated/covered with a chrome/aluminium like material & yes the S5 came with those style paddles & I've personally had an S5 wheel which was thicker than standard, so go figure, vag change there minds so often its impossible to keep up with there ideals of what should & shouldnt be lol.

The airbag loom on the S5 wheel may need adapting or you may have to use your existing partially, you'd have to check this upon purchase.

As Nige said.

When I done this mod I used the blokes existing airbag and loom from his B7 wheel. The A5 and A4 wheels share the same airbag fitment.
But be advised, I have worked on many A4's and especially the cabs, some seem to use the same wheels from an A3 8P P/N: starting 8P0. In this case, your airbag will not fit the A5 wheel. Confusing I know.

In any case, if the loom connector is different, then swap the looms over as Nige suggested, or just use your current airbag on the new, provided your B7 wheel is that of an A4 and not A3.

But be advised, I have worked on many A4's and especially the cabs, some seem to use the same wheels from an A3 8P P/N: starting 8P0. In this case, your airbag will not fit the A5 wheel. Confusing I know.

A4 B7's that had an original wheel with part number 8P0 are no different from the later B7's. I suspect what happened is the A3's used the same wheel from 2003-2005 and then changed their fitment so the previous 8P0 then became 8E0 i.e. later A3 wheels will not fit.

Later A3 wheels will fit, infact most if not all fit all audi's as spline is same, but the airbag eg. comes in 2 flavours for the shield type wheels fitted to B7's 8P post late 04, Q7, A5 etc etc, where they for a short time added 2 studs on bottom of the airbags that were IMHO used as purely an alignment locator as such, but if attached to the same wheel that catered for, this will fit all the same cars as mentioned already with correct airbag loom as they're all dual stage aswell.

A4 B7's that had an original wheel with part number 8P0 are no different from the later B7's. I suspect what happened is the A3's used the same wheel from 2003-2005 and then changed their fitment so the previous 8P0 then became 8E0 i.e. later A3 wheels will not fit.

A3's 2003-2005 (split grill 8P1) had a completely different wheel all together mate, they were similar to the B6. A3's 2005-2008 (8P2) had the same style wheel as the B7, but different airbag fitments. 8P0 is the code giving to A3 parts. On all A4 saloon cars I have worked on, the airbag fitment was different and the wheel p/n: began with 8K0 which represents the B7 A4, also 8T0 in some cases. But as said, the cabs seem to use the A3 8P0 wheel, thus meaning I can use an A3 8P0 airbag if needed.

Don't think the A3 has never used the 8E0 for its part number, even on the 8P1. I could also be wrong, but pretty sure the 8E0 is the older style wheel on the B6?

Why Audi make things so confusing is beyond me, lol.