1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multichanger cable

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by petewon, Oct 23, 2006.

1. petewon

petewon Member

[Oct 23, 2006]
    Ok so I bought a multichanger off ebay only to find that I need another lead to connect it to my headunit. Problem is that the lead from Audi is gonna cost more than Im willing to pay. Ive looked all over only to be told the lead is only available through the dealer. Ive found the plugs I need to make the cable but dont know which wires go to which pins. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what wires go where if I list the model number or get some pics of the plugs.

Sorry to sound cheap but Im a bit broke at the moment and realy dont want to spend £35+ for a lead I could possibly make for a fraction of the price.

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks very much.

Pete.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 23, 2006]
    Is it the 8 pin or 10/13 pin?
  4. petewon

petewon Member

[Oct 24, 2006]
  5. rich1068

rich1068 Member

[Oct 24, 2006]
    Now I could be wrong, it has been known...

Is that a changer from a Skoda? Looks very similar to the one sitting next to my desk right now. The Skoda changer is mounted face up on the boot floor hence the carpet around it. It obviously has the square connector but don't the Audi head units only use the round connector? At both ends? If that is the case then will Audi be able to supply you with the correct cable?

Out of interest how much did you get the changer for? I've had half hearted goes at flogging it on UKMKIVs (Golfs have the same cabling) but never had any luck.
  6. petewon

petewon Member

[Oct 24, 2006]
    Hi Rich, its apparently from a VW. Ive been told from a few people I will be able to get the cable from Audi but it will cost quite a bit. I payed £60 for the changer off Ebay.

I think Audi use the round one at the changer end and the blue 8 pin one at the headunit end.

Pete.
  7. AndyMac

[Oct 24, 2006]
    Yes you'll definately need an adapter of some sort as the Audi changer uses a completely different connector at the changer end.
    Audi use a small 13 pin connector housed in a round plug, with the pins in a square layout with only 10 pins wired to anything.
    It's the male version of this:
    [​IMG]
    The other end is a blue mini-ISO connector that clips into a bigger mini-ISO to form one big plug that handles the rear amp feed and the DIS feed. Some cars don't allow the 3 connectors to be seperated, so I'd have a look at te back of the HU first and check you have the multi-coloured plug (blue/green/yellow) plugged into the top connection on the back of the HU.
    Should look like this:
    [​IMG]
    If you have a solid black connector like this:
    [​IMG]
    Then check if the lefthand part is wired. If it is then the cable must exist somewhere, if it isn't then you'll need to chop off that section in order to plug in a new cable.
    The cable Audi will sell you won't actually be any use as the changer end will incorrect for a VW changer. You actually need the changer cable from a VW in order to wire it up.
    Here are the Audi pin-outs, but you'll need the same info for the VW changer in order to cobble the wiring together.
    [​IMG]
  8. petewon

petewon Member

[Oct 24, 2006]
    Thanks a lot for your time Andy, I must say ive had a quick look over that and Im a bit confused, Ill need to have a proper look over it in a bit. I have checked the back of the HU and it is the long black plug but the theres no wires going into the left, so yeah Im gonna have to chop that bit off the plug to fit the mini ISO.

This is what Ive got coming out of the VW changer

[​IMG]

Does that make any sense to you?

Cheers again.
  9. petewon

petewon Member

[Oct 24, 2006]
  10. AndyMac

[Oct 24, 2006]
    That looks like the baby you need, nice one.
  11. petewon

petewon Member

[Oct 24, 2006]
    Sound, cheers for the help. I dont mind paying £22.

12. petewon

petewon Member

[Oct 26, 2006]
    Ballz, Ive just checked my chorus booklet for the code for the headunit and its been ripped out and nowhere in any of my documentation. I need to remove the solid black connector on the top row to plug the multichanger in. Any ideas if the power is going through that plug?

I have got a 7 digit code on my key fob on my service key, dont suppose its that? I thought its a 4 digit code im looking for.

Cheers :)
  13. AndyMac

[Oct 26, 2006]
    No you'll be OK, perm live is on the bottom black connector
  14. petewon

petewon Member

[Oct 26, 2006]
    Cool cheers for the help. Seems Audi will help you get the code back free of charge if you do happen to loose it.

Thanks.