MRC Tuning company

Stage 2 depends on what car you have!

I've used MRC on a number of occasions. For the 2.7T engines there is no one better in the UK. There's no other company getting the same performance figures over here from tuned S4/RS4's. And their customer service is excellent.

is that "claimed bhp" or actual timed performance etc?

Rolling Road printouts, FATS times (most reliable method for comparing power outputs of S4's), 1/4 mile results, etc.

I was happy with the 12.8 I managed at Santa Pod earlier in the year, especially seeing as how I asked for a low boost map from MRC (19psi-17psi). There were other MRC tuned K04 cars (full weight) running 12.6. I think Brett (CELSISONE on here) has managed much better times than that with his MRC tuned S4.

MRC have had 350bhp from K03'd S4's and over 500bhp out of plain K04'd S4's. You show me another UK tuner who's managed that and I will eat the hat of your choice.
:hi:

i've got a standard s4 avant 2.7 30v tt, its lovely and smooth but lacks a bit of kick.. so wanna chip it, and looking at their website you can get a stage 1 (upgrade tp 310 bhp) and they list a stage 2 but no details on what this is......

what would you boys reccomend for me???? as i said its a standard s4, done 130k but engine is very strong, i want more of a kick but dont wanna be changing turbo's injectors or exhaust etc... i want it how it is now, just a bit spicyer....

dyno figures mean naff all, surely you know that anyway

FATS, isnt that 60-90mph in 3rd?

Rolling Road printouts, FATS times (most reliable method for comparing power outputs of S4's), 1/4 mile results, etc.

I was happy with the 12.8 I managed at Santa Pod earlier in the year, especially seeing as how I asked for a low boost map from MRC (19psi-17psi). There were other MRC tuned K04 cars (full weight) running 12.6. I think Brett (CELSISONE on here) has managed much better times than that with his MRC tuned S4.

MRC have had 350bhp from K03'd S4's and over 500bhp out of plain K04'd S4's. You show me another UK tuner who's managed that and I will eat the hat of your choice.
:hi:

Stage 2 is dowmpipes, decat the precats and upgraded DVs at the minimum.

MRC are well respected here and on SRS. I don't think you can go far wrong on a std map, but as stated take figures with a pinch of salt due to too many variables to list on here.

The car will produce more power, it will have better throttle response, it "may" have better economy. Well worth the money mapping or chipping any turbo car IMHO

Stage 2 is dowmpipes, decat the precats and upgraded DVs at the minimum.

MRC are well respected here and on SRS. I don't think you can go far wrong on a std map, but as stated take figures with a pinch of salt due to too many variables to list on here.

The car will produce more power, it will have better throttle response, it "may" have better economy. Well worth the money mapping or chipping any turbo car IMHO

i cant see that it will get upgraded dv's and de cats, as its only £85 +vat more than yhe stage 1....

Stage 2 depends on what car you have!

I've used MRC on a number of occasions. For the 2.7T engines there is no one better in the UK. There's no other company getting the same performance figures over here from tuned S4/RS4's. And their customer service is excellent.

Seconded.

i cant see that it will get upgraded dv's and de cats, as its only £85 +vat more than yhe stage 1....
:iagree:

I emailed the guy a couple of weeks ago about exhaust advice pre-mapping and he responded quite quickly, I agree the stage 2 can't include exhaust bits due to the minimal cost increase, i'm sure when I looked at their website the stage 2 referred to a custom map?? but I may be wrong..

Anyone else any wiser on this one ? ? ?

no, the additional software cost is £85, but you need to have the supporting mods for it to work or its pointless. The supporting mods are the kinds of things i listed above.

Don't be confused by the MRC site, which basically lists the custom remap (instead of a generic remap) as stage 2. It's a little inconsistent I know, as normally we would refer to stage 2 as a remap plus a full exhaust.

stage1 = generic remap, this is for cars that have had no other performance mods and are bone stock.

stage2 = custom remap, this is for cars that have already done perfomance mods, ie downpipes and exhaust, sport cats, uprated intercoolers etc etc. these mods would go to waste with an 'off the shelf' map, and as such you pay abit extra to have the map tuned to your car

Im in the exactly the same boat here, just purchased a 99 s4 avant, 129,000 and would like a bit more shove, tempted by the mrc stage 2 tune which i take as being a live mapping session as in 'on the road' and a cat back exhaust system? would have to have a health check first though i reckon!

Wont entirely go to waste on a generic map, regardless of what the tuner tells you...

The engine is MAF fuelled, so if you flow more air, you WILL get more fuel (to a point).

So your upgraded intercoolers and exhaust will give you a similar improvement on a generic map as a "custom" one, but you probably find those mods will allow them to push a touch more boost with the custom map.

Just because your car is stock doesn't mean you shouldn't go for the custom map. For the cost difference I would go custom. You will leave with the satisfaction the map is tailored to you and your car and has achieved the very best your example has to give.

For an extra 85quid?

Nah, not worth it.

End of the day, its a MAF fuelled engine, if your motor is flowing 1% more air (because its a "goodun"), it will recieve 1% more fuel. You think audi map each car differently? No. They build the ECU with some learning capabilities, and put the same program on them all.

The extra power gained from a "custom map" will simply be down to pushing more boost on a stock engine.

another way i see it too is that with a generic map (from a reputable place) will hopefully have had a ton of R&D

if you get a remap on a standard car, youre crossing your fingers and relying on the skills of the mapper in question

id rather rely on MTM/AMD/APR's skills than mr blogs that i know nothing about

^^ Especially for an S4 motor, as they're expensive.

However i'm sure MRC's "generic" map will be pretty spot on, they've had enough years to perfect it!

aragornHowever i'm sure MRC's "generic" map will be pretty spot on said:
having done a bit of research though, it seems they making their claimed power figures using lower boost (which is only a good thing)

what is really needed is a RR day or a shoot out on an air field, but its probably all been done before

I had a generic map from MRC on my S4 and the difference between stock was night and day. Part of me wishes I had spunked the extra cash on the custom map for a bit more power, especially when I removed my pre-cats and fitted a Milltek single afterwards.

MRC would have been happy to tweak the map once I had fitted those parts for a little extra (if you've already had the generic map, they will usually do you a deal to tweak it further).

Aragorn said:
The extra power gained from a "custom map" will simply be down to pushing more boost on a stock engine.

I guess timing isn't important then?? :lmfao:

MRC remap "on the fly" IIRC and not on a rolling road.

Think everyone gets a bit carried away comparing "generic off the shelf" maps and "custom".
nothing is truly custom unless they have never seen your car/engine/turbo combination before.

They (tuners) are always going to start with a "base" map and tweak as required.
It tends to involve a more agressive timing curve, optimised A/F ratio and more boost for cars with more upgrades like bigger (read more thermally efficient) turbos, FMIC, Water Meth etc, as those mods allow the car to deal with the extra heat and risk of pre-ignition/detonation

MRC are getting a Rolling Road in the new year. So expect to see further improvements to their remaps!

What MRC dont know about the 2.7 isn`t worth knowing in my opinion. Doug live mapped my S4 last summer and ironed out a miserable misfire that AUDI themselves couldn`t diagnose. Since then it hasn`t missed a beat and i dont take the car anywhere else.:s4addict:

The drive back home from MRC is always entertaining for me with more `improvements` each time resulting in driving a better car on the return 50 mile journey. Hardly west Wales though so i would want major work done for that trip

Is there a train station near to MRC? If I was going to drop the car off, I'd probably have to leave it there for a week and pick it up the following weekend...

For an extra 85quid?

Nah, not worth it.

End of the day, its a MAF fuelled engine, if your motor is flowing 1% more air (because its a "goodun"), it will recieve 1% more fuel. You think audi map each car differently? No. They build the ECU with some learning capabilities, and put the same program on them all.

IMO, this isn't true. The ECU is able to cope with adverse environmental
conditions and poorer fuel - it doesn't have much scope to advance timing on
race gas for example. Believe it or not, there is still a lot of variation in
what various cars and engines will do (mileage does have an impact). For example,
my car just won't run much timing. A custom map where the boost and timing were
adjusted to what my car would comfortably do was the best choice for me. Given
it's not much different in cost, I think you'd be mad NOT to.

The ECU doesn't have much scope to advance timing on
race gas for example.

Very true. The timing maps are fairly rigid in stock ECU's.
It is why the big US tuners offer ECU's loaded with two files, Race Octane Fuel and Road Octane Fuel.