1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPH to KPH conversion

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by dstamat, Jan 16, 2009.

1. dstamat

dstamat New Member

[Jan 16, 2009]
    Hello everybody,

I will be buying my A3 Sport in the UK but I will be moving very soon to mainland Europe and I was wondering if it would be possible to change the speedometer and distance meter to read in kilometers instead of miles. How about ordering the car with option U1A instead of the standard U1B? I doubt that that would be possible.

Thank you in advance for your advice

Dimitris
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. boggysv

boggysv Member

[Jan 16, 2009]
    I tried to do that, but dealer wouldnt let me have the kmh cluster, reason given that it had to conform to one of the UK laws.

Now the car is in asia, and reading in miles..at least I can tell the police that I "misread" the speedo when he pulls me over:sly:
  4. Twizzler

Twizzler Active Member

[Jan 16, 2009]
    It would surely make more sense to buy your car when you get there. Alternatively, throw money at the problem when you do. Most problems can be solved that way when all else fails.
  5. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

[Jan 16, 2009]
    I guess you could buy a new cluster when you go over and get the dealer to code it to your keys & set the correct mileage etc
  6. RS84

RS84 R15 - TDI Power

[Jan 16, 2009]
    If you don't mind me asking, what country are you moving to? I'd be more concerned about what side of the road they drive on there rather than the unit of measurement on the speedo.

If you're planning to buy in the UK so that you have a right hand drive car (which would be difficult to trade/sell in a country that drives on the right) you could always buy it here in Ireland, we drive on the left and our speedos are in KM... I think the Dutch are the same too...

Of course that'd probably make you the first person in history to export a car from Ireland... seriously expensive over here :(

If you do end up buying outside of the UK, the Sport is called the Ambition elsewhere in Europe...
  7. kaz219

kaz219 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 16, 2009]
    YOu can change the mileage reading to kilometres through the settings in the DIS. Press the ok button and then settings then units then tick teh box for kmh. the mileage will be in kilometers as wil everything in the dis (miles to empty/fuel consumptions) there is defintily an option to do it in the dis - i can do mine and post pics if you want - mines a 04 a3

The dash already has the km readings on the cluster. Im sure you can just buy the reverse paper bit that has kmh bigger thanthe mph.

[​IMG]
  8. djmcronin

djmcronin Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 19, 2009]
    Not correct, if you are exporting a new car from here you don't have to pay the VRT
  9. boggysv

boggysv Member

[Jan 19, 2009]

Where can I get them? My local dealer told me they only sell the whole cluster, and even that has to be ordered from germany.
  10. kaz219

kaz219 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 19, 2009]
    think you're gong to have to keep an eye on ebay in a country that are breaking a audi and pull it from there.