Mpg

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Is there any good reason why my 2.0tdi A3 is consistently 10mpg worse than my previous 1.9tdi A4 ?
Lighter body,allegedly superior engine.
Computer thing claims I'm getting 39.5 mpg and I actually give this car an easier time than my A4,but it's still 10mpg down.
Worth mentioning to the dealer ??
It's barely any more economical than a petrol.

Bowfer,

Mine has averaged 44.3mpg over the 14k miles since new and still getting slightly better. The 2.0TDI is sensitive between 60mph and 80mph ( 50mpg vs 60mpg+ ) but even so is returning slightly more than my Golf PD150 did, and I abuse the A3 more if anything.

To answer your question, the DSG is geared lower which could be part of the reason, and those 18 inch boots are going to hurt it slightly.

How many miles you done ?, if over 10k it may be worth getting speccy cars to have a shifty at it.

BTW: Nice to have you back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Sitting at around 6000 miles now.
I did notice quite a bit of smoke when I booted it the other night,in the headlights of the car I was accelerating away from.
I followed the wife the other night and it wasn't smoking under her 'lighter foot' though.
The MD is also asking the question as he's noticing my car's reg on the fuel readouts more often than he did on my A4,although this may be down to the car having a smaller tank as well ?

If I drive mine carefully I get 62-65mpg shown on the DIS over my 70 mile journey to work.
However, as has been said, take it much over 70mph and it will drop considerably.

Mmmmmmmm..........likewise, I had a 1.9TDI A4, and had expected better fuel consumption from the A3 given its smaller. But not the case, A4=49mpg, A3=45mpg (worked out on Excel, not DIS!!!)

If I drive it as Eeef describes, then I can reach the dizzy heights of 62mpg (DIS). But I'm up and down the M4 to work once/twice a week, so av speed = 85mph (to junc12 Reading, then its 10mph! @9am!).

Best mpg was the other week, space saver on and preganant wife in car, 63.5mpg!! (DIS) going to the hospital in Bristol!

I have standard A3 2.0 TDI DSG SE and currently get about 48-50 mpg in normal driving. Driving consists of a number a short journeys - I only live 1 mile from my part-time job - together with some longer drives and quite a lot of driving just for the pleasure. Quite often drive between 80-90mph when conditions allow. Car has done 17,000 miles from new.

Averaged around 50 overall on my recent holiday to Austria including some fast (120-130 mph) driving on the autobahn on the way through Germany.

[ QUOTE ]
Mmmmmmmm..........likewise, I had a 1.9TDI A4, and had expected better fuel consumption from the A3 given its smaller. But not the case, A4=49mpg, A3=45mpg (worked out on Excel, not DIS!!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the 2.0 A3 thirstier than the 1.9 A4 then ??

Weird one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

just checked my s-line, it gets a gentle cruise on its 35mile trip to work and a nice hefty thrash on the way home, Weekend driving is usually quite hard too. Its done 7700 miles now, overall average is 47.8 (A lot better than the WRX it replaces which never ever went above 29mpg)

Bowfer - i'd get it checked out

I agree, this doesn't sound right but then it depends on how long your journey is and what type of road conditions your in. Mine is getting about 49mpg average over 14000k. Its been up to 65 and as low as 42 but never less, even when thrashed.

Similar spec to yours too so sounds like you may have a problem. I've not noticed this over 70mph problem so much. I find that I can get equally good mpg at 60 as at 80 as long as I am cruising at those speeds. Constant braking and accelerating to get back up to speed hits the mpg.

Strangely it can vary by 5 mpg from day to day and I don't think my driving is any different. Don't know why that would be.

What PS did the 1.9 TDI in the A4 produce.

When used in the A3 the 1.9 produces 105PS whereas the 2.0TDI produces 140PS.

I had the 130 bhp 1.9 tdi A4.
It never dropped below 49 mpg (average) which was,frankly,incredible.

My 2.0TDI Sportback SE (with 16s) has returned 44.9mpg all-time, including lots of cold start commutes. I get around 55 when I drive the 90 miles to see the folks across a variety of roads.

As Japper pointed out, the 18s will hurt economy slightly. Have you checked your tyre pressures recently?

M work commute is just 4.5 miles each way but I still averaged just over 40mpg on 17", on a regular 20 mile journey along fast A roads the A would easily return 49+. The lowest mine ever recorded was 38.9 after a particularly spirited drive just prior to selling, strangely I thought my 150PD produced better fuel econmy achieving 42 according to DIS. The wifes car (Bora) has the 1.9 130bhp engine coupled with the less efficient Tiptronic Auto but it still manages an average of 42 mpg (mainly motorway work)so sounds as if yours may be a little down on mpg - general opinion on an alternate forum is 18" lead to a neg' of approx 3mpg....

I must admit that my DIS figure actually make the MPG look better!! When I've worked it out in Excel it comes out about 2-3 MPG less than the DIS....

Max I've seen is 55 on a 24mile journey (to work) but that driving at 40 in 5th for most of the way and just lightly pumping the acelerator pedal when required. As for motorways your right anything over 70 and I haven't seen much over 43MPG. Keep it under 70 tho and get some good down hills where you can take your foot off the pedal and your away.... it'll go flying up, up, up to 50+ without trying.

Maybe I've just got lucky but mine easily achieves about 50mpg when travelling to work (40miles). Average speed for the trip is about 55 - 60 depending on traffic. At least half the trip is dual carriageway and the rest is on decent A road.

Most of the time I've got it sitting around 70 - 80. I've tried it on or just under 70 for the past couple of days and there is a difference but only about 2 - 3mpg for the better. The main hit is when the traffic is heavy and I have to slow down and accelerate constantly. If its clear then the figure stays high.

I suppose it really depends on how and where you drive it. A mate of mine has the 2.0TDI quattro and he has been getting 30 -35 out of it which sounds really bad, but then I passed him the other day and got an indication of what might be causing it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the 2.0 A3 thirstier than the 1.9 A4 then ??

Weird one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's got to be gearing and tyres Bowfer, and more power to play with. 4-5mpg less considering the big boots and definately lower gearing isn't too bad.

You started off with a very frugal motor, so it's always downhill from there. The 130pd golf was always far more economical than the 150pd even with the same tyres and gearing.

Thats interesting - I have an A3 Quattro TDI with only 350 miles on the clock and it is getting low 40's mpg on my daily commute which is 7 miles each way in quiet heavy traffic.
What is this guy doing to so badly affect his mpg?

Bowfer -

Maybe your A4 was exceptional rather than the A3 being poor?

I had a company A4 1.9 TDI 130 sport saloon (03 year) and I never got more than 40mpg from new to 20k (calculated not DIS). That was generally on lots of long m-way 80/90ish runs. Thats why I thought a petrol model wasn't such a bad idea for the next car -

However, the 2.0T FSI has averaged 28mpg for the first 18,000 miles since Feb 05.

He nearly wiped me out coming the other way. If he drives everywhere at that speed then no wonder his mpg sucks.