Mpg gone really poor help please

L3WJX

Reaction score
Hello another problem starting from today,I have just had a 6 hour drive with a poor mpg of 25/30 on motorway cost me a lot more than normal,I was seeing 45/55 on way up there 3 days before,what could be causing this I have had it on vagcom and no luck .

At the risk of sounding daft, have you heard any new noises? Maybe the handbrake is not fully disengaging (i.e. needs adjusting), or you have a stuck caliper, which would cause a lot of drag... but you'd probably hear some sort of squealing or rumble if that was the case.

Yh car pulls well and car brakes all seem ok,think it tends to be worse in 6th gear just drops a lot,scanned on vagcom no joy also reset all engine codes by adaption and 00 reset,anything else I could check temp gauge sits at 90c but sometimes drops a bit then comes up again,looked last night at coolant and tool cap of and started ******* out looked like it wasn't circulating but I'm no mechanic,any I e have any ideas let me no x

Just been told could be the head gasket,due to juddering through gears some times more like a flat spot at low revs,smoking exhaust and no temp out of heaters is there a way I can check this,also has a judder on stand still bit rocky,what does this sound like also waterpump don't feel like its recirculating properly but the car does not over heat,

Most garages can check the coolant for the presence of exhaust gas with a kinda sniffer thingy to see if the head gasket has gone.

Didn't fill up at a Sainsbury's did you?
I did the other week and my mpg went out the window, now filled up with Shell good stuff and its back to normal, maybe some crappy fuel?

Hiya the car had full service last month and no the fuel was was good it happen after me trying to get the heaters to work and me revving the car quite abit,had the car tested for head gasket and that looks ok,I get little flat spots through gears at low rpm,poor mpg,an at idle it feels like it judders,also sometimes grey smoke not all the time though,could this be air mass or egr valve ?? But no engine management light has come on,how would I check air mass ?? I have vagcom but no codes if anybody else could help be good.