MPG and some advice

[ QUOTE ]
Moral of the story,don't try and overtake old Gti's.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

unless your in a new GTI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I used to have a mark 3 GTI with the same engine (115bhp) don't be fooled by that mpg, it was a fiesty little fecker!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've posted this before, but its not often I have seen this after a fill up... Stink Wheels

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine generally shows 380 - 400 after a fill up... As I said, at 35mpg I might as well have got a 2.0T!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.
At 40mpg,I'm not getting enough of the supposed benefits of a diesel either.
I'd be as well having more fun in a petrol (especially when the government is dropping the 3% tax saving for diesel company cars as well).

Can anyone at least try and offer an explanation as to why the 2.0tdi uses roughly 20% more fuel than my 1.9tdi ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A 3.2 is good for a steady cruise at 30mpg, even 31mpg. Just don't go over 1000rpm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I'm sitting in traffic in 6th, doing around 50mph and hovering carefully on the throttle, I can see the mpg fluctuating around the 35-50mpg range.

Trouble is, that's the exception rather than the norm and my overall average in the last 2 months is 20.9. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

But the enjoyment factor makes it nearly worth it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]But then, as I drive around with the pedal glued to the floor most of the time anyway, I doubt that I would get anywhere near 35 from a 2.0T.....

My 2.6 averaged 18mpg over 2.5 years..... That was a thirsy old boy.

I had a Vauxhall Chevette which I used for rallying a number of years ago, which used to average 5mpg if driven carefully(ish) but the fun factor was excellent, and made it worth while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
(especially when the government is dropping the 3% tax saving for diesel company cars as well).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's only for cars registered after 1st Jan 2006 though isn't it? As far as I have worked out, if you are already "in" a pre 2006 car then you won't lose the 3%....

[ QUOTE ]
That's only for cars registered after 1st Jan 2006 though isn't it? As far as I have worked out, if you are already "in" a pre 2006 car then you won't lose the 3%....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's correct,but I'm actively seeking to ditch my motor,so it's something I have to bear in mind for my next choice.

Not that 3% makes a huge difference,but I'm loathe to give the goverment any more than I absolutely have to.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you fancy another DSG A3 Bowfer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that's about as likely as MB using a car wash... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

In fact,I'd rather dangle my ballsack over a bandsaw than have DSG again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I've become a 4wd convert lately though,so another Audi is not TOTALLY out of the question seeing as they're one of the few to offer it in a non-jeep manner,but IF (big if) I go for another Audi,it'll be an A4 at the very least and probably an Avant with it.

I'm assuming you get quattro A4 avants ?

Haven't actually checked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact,I'd rather dangle my ballsack over a bandsaw than have DSG again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

God that mus be bad then!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Spence - I'm getting around 500ish to a tank, last one was 490 - the missus borrowed it for two weeks when I was recovering and she managed near 600, i'm not sure exactly what as it still had fuel in when i came to use it!

mine has never dropped below 40MPG, and it does get ragged everyday for a 70 mile round trip on the A1...........

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, we (the oil burning collective) might be getting a few more MPG.... no diesel smell for 3hours after you fill up....

So it's not all good being a heavy smoker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and whilst on the subject of the smell is it just me or does the diesel fuel get thru those disposable gloves that the filling stations provide when you fill up too?

the light came on today and the trip had 510 miles,so i cant complain at that.