MPG and some advice

awebber

Reaction score
Hi Guys/Girls just wondered what MPG people where getting and what you got from a tank of diesel? I have a 2.0 TDI DSG and all i really do is about 60 miles aday of which 90% is motorway. Mostly at 70 - 80. I used to have a Passat TDI Sport and that used to give me just under 600, but in the A3 ( i know tank is 5 litres smaller) i get about 450ish when the red light comes on?

Trip computer says i average about 47MPG.

Does that sound about right? Alsoi notice when going through stop traffic (well it is Reading after all...:)) that my MPG is around 8-10MPG...

I was also playing with the buttons on the dash and was trying to get a check done on the car and think i reset my service indicator..well it changed from 13k down to 9k...

Is this anything to worry about. Its a company car ..so not too bothered about taking it in early for a service :)

Cheers
Andrew

I got 44.5mpg from mine over 10k miles so you getting 47odd seems OK to me.

Whilst sitting in traffice you are at 0mpg, and If you reset the main mpg readout in the city I would think you would end up at around 38ish?

If you have reset the service indicator you need to keep an eye on you milage, if you had 13k left showwing you were obviously on the audi variable service, I had 13k showing when I got my car with 3k on the clock, when I sold it with 13k on it the service indicator was still showing 9k.
You have now set it to the standard 9000mile/12month service schedule so you will never know when it is really due.
It could be due anywhere from 12 - 24,000 miles or after 2 years from when you got it, it is now going to tell you it is due in 9000 miles or next december, whichever comes first.

I would call an Audi dealer and ask them if they can get it back to variable with 13k showing.

Thanks for the reply, maybe i was just expecting more :)

Will give Audi a ring tomorrow to see what they can do about the service indicator.

Cheers
Drew

Sounds about right, mine is a 4-motion and i only achieve around 400. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a 2.0TDI and have done around 20k miles. I currently getting 47-48 mpg.

just coming up to 9k,and average is 50 mpg,i get between 480-520 from a tank, i think,
although just after ive filled up the dis sometimes gives a distance of 700 miles if im doing around 60mph,i never get that of course,
but one day ill try,ill just poodle around and see what i can get out of a tank?.

Tinka, you should be getting about 600 a tank (55 litres) at 50mpg.

47mpg is very respectible for a 140bhp+ diesel. I've averaged 47mpg over 21k miles, so get about 550 per fill up (few litres spare). My everyday use varies between low 40s and low 50s, dependent on how many brain cells are working at the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ill check to be sure?,the 50mpg average is over 9k or whatever the mile limit of the dis is,some months i might get more from a tank than others,i just seem to remember 480 to 520.

Karcsi - yeh 600 on the very last vapours before you run dry!!!! Even empty on the guage is 5 or so litres left, you must be very brave!!

My best is 35mpg so be greatful!!

The best (old reliable) way to check is;

Fill it up to second click, do the miles and fill it up again.

(Miles / litres) x 4.54 = MPG

Easy.

Drew

I've only had mine for a couple of weeks and have done 1200miles. I haven't reset my 2trip and it says that i'm averaging 40.7mpg and I'm getting about 450miles to a tank to!

Hope this helps!
H

Not brave, just trusting. Or is the ****** minded? Probably the latter. I drive until the DIS says 5-10 miles left. When the light comes on, I bank on there being 50 miles left (about 5 litres).

I cheat. I fill mine until I can see the fuel in tank filler neck, which is about a litre, I guess, after the auto cut out. The most I've fill ed it with is 53.5 litres, with 0 miles left on the DIS! I know no fear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'm currently reading 48.2 over the first 3800 miles, but it has included some pretty brisk runs when we were setting up the Revo remap.

Most single trip runs now show 50+mpg and my regular 65 mile one-way trip down the A12 to the station usually gives around 53+mpg. I tend to fill up at the 1/4 tank mark which is usually about 400-425 miles. I always brim the tank when I refill it.

I'm getting slightly better mileage than my Revo'd PD150 Golf.

Maybe there's a lot of garages near you?

The 'miles to go' reading seems based on a recent average mpg figure, i find it might say '50 to go' so you put your foot down then 2 minutes later it says '0' miles to go! ahhhh!

2nd trip only averages last 999 miles i'm sure.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe there's a lot of garages near you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nearest one is 200 metres as the crows flies, and then generally 1 every 5 miles. Prices are still shocking at some - 10p different between the cheapest and the most expensive!

I just know where they are and know how much I have left. I guess I inherited the attitude from my father - as the warning light comes on mum asking do we need to fuel as a service station beckons; my dad replying loads left, next one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I find that the MPG varies wildly - some days I'll see the DIS doing the low 40s and others it will get into the 50s, 55mpg in fact.

Prior to the Revo remap, 47.5 was the average - since the remap it seems that 46 is the absolute top whack - though MikeP seems to have retained the pre-remap fuel economy.

In terms of range on a tank - about 550 is the max I've seen (coming up to 3000 miles/6 weeks old).

I'm getting around 40.5 mpg,which is consistently around 9 mpg worse than my 1.9tdi A4.

No-one has been able to explain why a supposedly more efficient engine,in a lighter car,doing the same journeys,gives 20% less mpg,but it's obviously not a problem with the car itself,going by the similar MPG figures mentioned on here.

49 mpg from my A4 made me extol the virtues of diesels.
40mpg from my A3 makes the diesel argument less valid.

I also believe DSG actually improves MPG,so I would presumably get less than 40mpg if I had a manual.

According to the official figures (which are contrary to what they were originally) DSG is worse by a couple of mpg than the manual.

I agree with both of you. The DIS is very erratic - easy 50+ some days, other's seem difficult to get above the low 40s. And, yes, I was initially disappointed compared to my parent's A4 - which is absolutely fantastic. Although, mine is getting better as the miles pile on.

I have a notion that the DIS calculations are where the problem lies - the vehicles themselves are probably still pretty ecomomical. We believe the DIS is telling us the truth though the reality may somewhat at odds with that.

So far this week I have two office day trips so a total of about 325 miles, from brim full the tank guage is now reading just under half with a 220 mile range left.

The Monday/Tuesday trips have since the DIS reporting 41/42 and a 46 in a block of 50 mph traffic for 30 mins.

Irrespective of the B*ll*x on the DIS is has to have been doing high 40s in the mpg stakes dosen't it?

Don't believe the DIS! I was pretty shocked when i actually got my calculator out and converted the litres i'd put in to refill the tank to gallons and then used that to divide into the number of miles i'd driven

Strange, when I bought mine the DSG's had better MPG all round.

Now the Diesel DSGs are 2mpg down (3dr and SB) and the Petrol DSGs are 2mpg up on the 3dr (as before) and equal on the SB?!?

As the DIS is an Average calculation, anyone who knows statistics will tell you how misleading that can be on a short-ish single journey.

"There are lies, damn lies and then Statistics!" (as someone famouse once said)

A strange thing happened after I had my car serviced... the DIS actually works out the average to be roughly what the car is actually doing....

It used to report an average of 46-47, which for a 55litre (12gallon) tank, is 560 miles per tank. My car has never managed that - the most it has ever done is 500 odd, with the average being 450ish

However, now the DIS shows 38 - 39, and I am getting the same mileage per tankful.....

As a rule of thumb, 50mpg on the DIS means you should get 600 miles per tank.... I know there are people that have got this, but I doubt that it's a common occurance.... I think 40mpg is a more accurate figure for my driving, 3k per month 80% motorway 20% standstill.

But unless you reset your 2nd trip when you fill up, then the 'average' displayed does not coincide with the actual tankfull you are monitoring.

When you say DIS reading, do you mean 1st trip (single journey) reading or 2nd trip (rolling 999 miles)?

When I was testing it (in order to be able to claim more per mile from the company) I reset the 2nd DIS reading when I re-fuelled so it should have been telling me for that tankful only (give or take a bit)

Then did the same on the next few tanks as well....

Did you compare it with the 'old fashioned' work-it-out method?

Most importantly - Fuel guages are garbage! They're not linear either becaue the tank isn't perfectly shaped. Its a fuel 'level' guage not a fuel 'volume' guage

.i.e. half on the guage isn't half the max litres in the tank. Mine takes 200 ish to get to 1/2 way then in around 100 the other 1/2 is gone.

Definitely true. Mine gets to about 300 when 1/2 full then empties the rest in another 200 or so.

Best I've seen is about 550 and the average is about 520 or so.

Think I remember Eeef saying he got over 700 from a tank. Must have been driving like a nun.

Oh that's alright, your stuff is cheaper though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ahhh memories... how the smoke from the fires at Hemel Hempstead reminded me of my days of diesel ownership.

But saying that I averaged 54mpg this morning on the way to work!

I agree fuel gauges are cr4p!

[ QUOTE ]
Did you compare it with the 'old fashioned' work-it-out method?

Most importantly - Fuel guages are garbage! They're not linear either becaue the tank isn't perfectly shaped. Its a fuel 'level' guage not a fuel 'volume' guage

.i.e. half on the guage isn't half the max litres in the tank. Mine takes 200 ish to get to 1/2 way then in around 100 the other 1/2 is gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly what I did...

Thats sounds strange indeed...

Did your self-calculated MPG change in line with the DIS reading? or was it just the DIS that changed after the service?

I've never directly compared the DIS average with a self calculated average over exactly a full tank, might give it a try if I can remember!

[ QUOTE ]
Thats sounds strange indeed...

Did your self-calculated MPG change in line with the DIS reading? or was it just the DIS that changed after the service?

I've never directly compared the DIS average with a self calculated average over exactly a full tank, might give it a try if I can remember!

[/ QUOTE ]

No the amount of miles per tank didnt change, still gets 450ish per tank.

So it would seem that just the DIS changed.

I think that most people will find that the info on DIS is completely unaccurate when working it out properly. I was pretty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif cos where I had used the DIS info for my average mpg, I lost about £500 in pence per mile claims... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

My calculations,at 40mpg,are manual.
I couldn't tell you what my DIS says,as I never use it.
Its permanently on the 'miles to empty' reading and,to be honest,I couldn't tell you how to change it without looking !

In my company car days, when I had an A4 1.9TDI sport and forgot to order DIS, you only got the 'miles to empty' reading (which was rubbish anyway)

So I had to manually calculate the MPG, this was always 5 or more mpg worse than colleagues with DIS.

[ QUOTE ]
Karcsi - yeh 600 on the very last vapours before you run dry!!!! Even empty on the guage is 5 or so litres left, you must be very brave!!

My best is 35mpg so be greatful!!

The best (old reliable) way to check is;

Fill it up to second click, do the miles and fill it up again.

(Miles / litres) x 4.54 = MPGEasy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmm filled up this morning and did the calculation - 405 miles with 46.22litres of diesel = 39.83mpg, which seems rubbish.

[ QUOTE ]
Mmm filled up this morning and did the calculation - 405 miles with 46.22litres of diesel = 39.83mpg, which seems rubbish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you reset DIS2 for that as well? I bet you it shows 45+mpg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you reset DIS2 for that as well? I bet you it shows 45+mpg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, shows 46!

Isn't this the sort of thing the watchdog-type press love getting a hold of ?
They were quick to jump on the fact that Peugeot mileometers were inaccurate.
I think they'd be interested in Outlore losing out on £500 of compensation from his work because of DIS flights of fancy.

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this the sort of thing the watchdog-type press love getting a hold of ?
They were quick to jump on the fact that Peugeot mileometers were inaccurate.
I think they'd be interested in Outlore losing out on £500 of compensation from his work because of DIS flights of fancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh ooh!!! Is my 15 minutes of fame coming? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TBH Audi probably would manage to wangle out of it - it probably says in tiny print somewhere in each dealership that DIS readings are a guide only and should not be used to guage true fuel efficiency.... yadda yadda ya..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

Mine does around 50.2 mpg on a tank. Its done 18k and getting better the more I do.