Mpg 2l tdi 143 s line

S.line

Reaction score
Morning - cant sleep!!

Anyway. I have recently bought a 2litre a4 s line tdi 143 and no matter how easy I drive the mpg is only at 43ish!!! Even on open motorway! I used to have a b6 1.9tdi mapped to 170 and used to get 47-50 even tho I hoofed it at times!! I know the book says like 50-60mpg but 43 is a tad low don't you think??

I bought my 58 plate over a month ago and for the first 3 weeks was easily getting late 40's = 50mpg but last couple of weeks have been getting late 30's - early 40's mpg. Ive just had it remapped to 180bhp yesterday so it will be interesting to see if it changes once ive run it in? The tuner told me to do the dpf regen once map is run-in to see if that makes any difference as the car is on 22k miles and has probs never been done? Im thinking of changing the air filter to a k&n or piper x panel filter to see if that makes any difference

Had mine just under a month and on the motorway with cruise control on at 70 I am getting 50 - 52 mpg. round town however I am lucky to get 35

my car has 35ooo miles on it , i wouldnt see much better than 53 on a good run,after a round town drive and heading home for 15 miles i get about 38-45 ish . it doesnt get pushed on either , my 130 was miles better

It seems like this Eco and more efficiency stuff is a load of pap!! On paper the b8 is better than the b7 and the b7 better than the b6. B6 are best by far, on a big run my 03 a4 avant managed 53mpg using cruise, with a roof box and towing a small trailer.....just goes to show eh, if it ain't broken don't try n make it better.....

Yup im the same, around town i average around 40MPG my old B6 1.9tdi on the same run was around 45MPG,but i love the B8 its an awesome motor.

in fairness to the car if diesel was the same price now that it was 5 years ago when i had my 130 i probably would think the mpg was fine.
The b8 however is really the first to offer really good rear accommodation,when i need it .

how old is the car ? if the car is new with hardly any miles when you get to about 5000 miles the car will be more run in and bedded in you will expect the car to go a little faster and a couple more mpg, when you bed new cars in to about 5000 you can use alot of oil as the engine has not been used alot, this is normal, from about 0-5000 miles always drive sensibly and then give it a good hard acceleration and vary your speeds from 40-70 mph, also you can give your car a good rev to red line, (not at a standstill) ( whilst driving) over 5000 miles but only when it is warm, it will clear the turbo and other engine components to make them work better but do not do it all the time maybe once every now and then, do you have air conditioning on ? turn it off and you will save more fuel, it also depends on how your are driving it if you keep going up and down in speed then it will drop in mpg if you are also braking quite hard it will also go down and if you are stopping at lights often, cruise control is the best way how to get your best mpg, take it for a good run and cruise control it to about 65 or 70 mph (only if you have it) and just leave it on for miles and miles and you will get a good figure, you will probably be achieving more than the mpg clock actually says.

weight and performance kills mpg. the peaks of diesel economy were reached with the indirect injection engines, 60-80 mpg but they were noisy and smelling agricultural. then along came mr bosch with the electronic direct injection pump and the noise was more acceptable, the cars were belching less soot and the mpg's stayed the same AFN- 60-80mpg ! then the pd lump which allows higher fuel pressures in a more controlled maneer so the Vag group could keep with the CR offerings from the bmw and mercedes. however the pd was a technological dead end as the fuel injection is still governed by the top dead centre. the real advantage of the cr engine is the ability to have up to 5 pilot injection events prior tdc, this brought petrol like performance and even less clattering noises, however is the emission constraints that strangle these engines and all this better mpg is just marketing hype. the best thermodynamical efficient diesel engine in vag line-up was the old AFN engine, the new cr 2.0 tdi lumps are 5% less efficient and are restricted by dpf's and carry more weight. how those can be more efficient ?

Hello,
Please excuse my being new and replying to posts.
I have a 06 plate s-line, the one with funny smells. I am very light on the right foot and do a lot of motorway/a road miles. I get around 56 to the gallon and more in the summer when the aircon isn't working.
Matti

Wish I could say the same mate but it looks like I drive a sexy tank haha!!

I am very light on the right foot and do a lot of motorway/a road miles. I get around 56 to the gallon and more in the summer when the aircon isn't working.
Matti
Is that brim to brim or just going by the "trusty" DIS ?

I have averaged only 40.9 mpg over the last 8 months / 10k in my FWD 143. Not happy at all to be honest. But I have been blaming the multitronic for that.

Getting a Black Edition Quattro Manual in a few weeks, hope that fairs better.

Quattro will prob get 30mpg if the fwd is anything to go by.

I have averaged only 40.9 mpg over the last 8 months / 10k in my FWD 143. Not happy at all to be honest. But I have been blaming the multitronic for that.

Getting a Black Edition Quattro Manual in a few weeks, hope that fairs better.

lol.Id kill for 40mpg.my 170bhp 2.0 averages 32mpg brim to brim either driving miss daisy or like i stole it.Your quattro will do less.If youre looking for fuel economy and performance it aint audi....its bmw.my mates 330d does 50 and goes like a bat out of hell

lol.Id kill for 40mpg.my 170bhp 2.0 averages 32mpg brim to brim either driving miss daisy or like i stole it.Your quattro will do less.If youre looking for fuel economy and performance it aint audi....its bmw.my mates 330d does 50 and goes like a bat out of hell

Mine averages 39mpg since buying it, i have only done 3800 miles since buying it in June though.

Oh dear. I could regret this then...

In an ideal world I would have the beemer, I have always fancies the 335d touring. However, I really dislike their interiors, as well as their RWD. I would love the look of the Audi, with the Quattro, coupled with the BMW's engine and Mercedes interior. Alas, there is no such possibility, so I am going for the Quattro.

Last edited: