1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 - Dension or Phatnoise ?

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by dares_uk, Dec 16, 2008.

1. dares_uk

dares_uk Member

[Dec 16, 2008]
    right, recently came across the dension kit for an ipod,
    and the crossover unit allowing me to keep the cd changer.
    i understand this charges the ipod too?
    so it can just stay in the glove box, but whats the control of the ipod like
    from the standard stereo?

aslo considering a phatnoise, but that would mean i loose my cd changer right? or would it be possible to keep it too?
    aslo what is the control of these like?

what set up would ppl recomend?

thanks
    ross
    S3 :>)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. dunk

dunk Member

[Dec 16, 2008]
    dension and others - uses cds 1 to 6 to choose playlists - no other head unit control which is a bit pants

phatnoise - fantastic - full control of 1000's of cds by playlist, artist, album, gentre etc all from a standard audi head unit - cant go wrong with this

in theory you could use a multipole switch to switch the head unit between a phatbox and true cd changer but it seems a lot of trouble just to play a cd - the phatbox jukebox only takes a few minutes to add/sync new music onto anyway and with such a large capacity you can keep your entire collection on it anyway.
  4. dares_uk

dares_uk Member

[Dec 16, 2008]
    thansk
    hows is the phatbox controlled?
    do song/artist etc show on screen?
  5. fran-s3

fran-s3 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Dec 17, 2008]
    why don't you consider the alpine ida-x001 which I have which in my opinion blows the rest away? Displays full artwork, album, artist and song it's playing, sound quality is amazing. Ipod sits in the glove out of vew, FULL controllable fromt he head unit and loads all the artists litterally in 1 second everytime. Also the red interface matches the OEM red perfectly. Plus you can plumb in handsfree bluetooth which I also have, which again is superb.

Just another option to consider.
  6. Essflee

Essflee Well-Known Member

[Dec 17, 2008]
    The phatnoise is a brilliant bit of kit, you control everything from the head unit, i generally just scroll through the play lists by pressing number 2, then cd up/down...a voice will then tell you what your currently listening to, as you scroll through the playlists the voice will continue to tell you what album is selected. You could also scroll through artist instead etc. Honestly if you invest you will not be dissapointed !!

Oh and if you do still want to use your cd player which i can't see you would, it does still work, just press the cd button twice....
  7. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 4, 2009]
    Do you have a link to the Phatnoise device please? Everything I can find is on American sites and doesn't mention any sort of compatability .... ?
  8. Essflee

Essflee Well-Known Member

[Jan 8, 2009]
    I think if I remember correctly mine originally came from the states, I know my mates definately did, it was him that told me about them, it was about 3-4 years ago I got mine, I did speak to a bloke directly on this no. 02076694262. (bloke in britain)But like I said it was a while back so don't know if this number is any good any more. I would say if you order off one of the American sites it should work on your car anyway...I recently ordered a pie adapter for my stereo from the states and it to works fine !!
  9. giblets46

giblets46 Member

[Jan 10, 2009]
    i beleive Phatnoise, having been taken over by harmon kardon, have stopped supporting the phatnoise, but having said that, there are plenty of people out there who have been updating hte software since then.
    If you want to buy one, then e-bay is a good bet (£100 ish), and probably a lot cheaper (the UK list price was over £500, but £150 from the US (both new ))
  10. dunk

dunk Member

[Jan 11, 2009]
    i have a spare audi phatbox available complete with all documents etc

i have both shapes - the full oem changer sized frame and the smaller live on your boot type frame (both the same inside, just a different alloy case outside)

pm me if anyone interested
  11. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jan 13, 2009]
    whats the tax on that then Dunk?