MP3 Compatible CD Player ????

BennyB0Y

Resident Energy Source
Reaction score
Ok. So I've had my nearly new (ex-demo) A3 Sportback for just over a week now. It has a 6CD Changer in the dash, Symphony II Radio and Bose Sound System installed. I don't want the iPod dock system just yet, as I heard I'd have to lose the 6CD, and I don't want that... not just now.
Instead I want to know if it's possible to replace the CD player unit for an MP3 compatible one. Has anyone done this? Any details on this I'd be grateful. Just as a note I know my current one isn't MP3 compatible because whenever I place an MP3 CD into the Player it tries to play it as a single track, and there's no sound (it's trying to play the data track as a music track).

I've also heard of the Symphony III which may be able to do this but my Audi Dealer says that this cannot be installed into the new A3 Sportback, yet it appears on the website. Is this true or are they pulling my leg? I'm still within the 30 day return period. Am I wrong to think a head unit's the same for all Audi's or cars in general?

It depends on if you have the single DIN unit or the double DIN. Is the CD changer in the unit or in the glove box? Going from single DIN to the new Symphony III that support MP3 is a big job and would involve moving all the A/C switches.

If you have the double DIN unit then it should be a straight swap, but... I would guess a stealer would want about £800 for a new Symphony III

It can be done. But you'd need to purchase an Symphony 2+ unit (£750) and an RNSE quadlock connector from Kufatec.de. So once you've paid that money you may as well buy RNSE which has a MP3 compatible Single CD player in it anyway.

Nelson_Wilbury said:
It can be done. But you'd need to purchase an Symphony 2+ unit (£750) and an RNSE quadlock connector from Kufatec.de. So once you've paid that money you may as well buy RNSE which has a MP3 compatible Single CD player in it anyway.

I have a Symphony 2+ unit that I am thinking of selling if you're interested. I removed it from my new Sportback the day after I got it as I replaced it with another stereo, so it's effectively brand new. £375 to you.:hi:

£375? Would you be able to help me fit in the Symphony II+? If not is it a simple job? I have to admit I'm a newbie and haven't had a go at ripping out my head unit. Also am just curious.... what made you remove your Symphony II+?

BennyB0Y said:
£375? Would you be able to help me fit in the Symphony II+? If not is it a simple job? I have to admit I'm a newbie and haven't had a go at ripping out my head unit. Also am just curious.... what made you remove your Symphony II+?

It's a simple job because you already have a double din Symphony II. You just need the keys to remove the old unit which are available from ebay for a couple of quid. I think you might also need the quadlock adaptor that Nelson_Wilbury referred to in his post. These are also available from ebay quite often. Should take no longer than 10 minutes tops. Happy to help you with the install, but you'd need to come to me in Peterborough though.

I really like the Symphony II+, but I really needed satellite navigation for my job. However, I wasn't prepared to pay dealer prices for one. So pretty much the first thing I did after picking the new car up, was to install the RNS-E.... oh, and some alloy pedals.:)

Alloy pedals.... Nice :happy: ! Sorry but again being a newbie I have another (silly?? :uhm:) question. The 6CD Changer is built into the dash (there's nothing in the glove box or boot). Would I still be able to use the in-dash 6CD changer? I've also been told about some gadget from Dension that will allow me to use an iPod and also keep the CD player and changer. Btw I'm in Surrey near Windsor.

Must admit though, despite iPod gadgets for this 'n' that and Audi's approved iPod docking unt, I kind of like the idea of the pure Audi stuff (Symphony II+ etc.). The iPod dock is an option and possibly the cheapest and to a degree the most logical, BUT... it's kind of nice to know that CDs can still be played if need be.

Not sure I fully understand what you mean? The Symphony II+ replaces your existing Symphony II to give you an in-dash 6 cd multichanger with MP3 playback on CD's burnt with MP3's. Your existing Symphony II can't be fitted "neatly" elsewhere in the car because of it's shape, connection requirements and potential issues with DIS.

If you really want, you can purchase an AUDI 6 CD autochanger which you can install either in the boot, or in the glove box (although you should understand that it will mean cutting up your glovebox a bit, or buying the a replacement glove box - If you specified a cd changer in the glove box when the car was manufactured, it will have a slightly different glove box). You can then operate this via the Symphony II+. Can't really see the point though tbh, as 6 CD's fully loaded with MP3's should be enough for most people.

Can't offer any advice regarding 3rd party options I'm afraid. I'm sure someone else can help though.

galewis said:
Not sure I fully understand what you mean? The Symphony II+ replaces your existing Symphony II to give you an in-dash 6 cd multichanger with MP3 playback on CD's burnt with MP3's. Your existing Symphony II can't be fitted "neatly" elsewhere in the car because of it's shape, connection requirements and potential issues with DIS.

If you really want, you can purchase an AUDI 6 CD autochanger which you can install either in the boot, or in the glove box (although you should understand that it will mean cutting up your glovebox a bit, or buying the a replacement glove box - If you specified a cd changer in the glove box when the car was manufactured, it will have a slightly different glove box). You can then operate this via the Symphony II+. Can't really see the point though tbh, as 6 CD's fully loaded with MP3's should be enough for most people.

Can't offer any advice regarding 3rd party options I'm afraid. I'm sure someone else can help though.
No no thanks again for the reply. I think you've answered my question!!! :) Which is great! You see I currently have the Symphony II with 6CD in-dash Changer (and cassette deck that no-one uses anymore!). I wasn't sure if the changer, in my case, was a separate unit from the CD player itself hidden somewhere behind the dash. But from what you've said if the Symphony II+ also has an integrated 6CD changer and it's a straight case of swapping one out for the other, then we could possibly talk some more about your offer, because this is what I was hoping for. Does it also show ID3 Tags in the DIS for the MP3s being played?

I was only mentioning the iPod Dock as another completely different option from this. The only thing I don't like about Audi's iPod dock option is that they say you completely lose the use of the CD player (as the iPod becomes the CD player), and you have to lose a little space in the glove box.

IMO you would be better with:

RNS-E 2x SD Cards with 1000 tracks of MP3
6CD Changer in glovebox

Thats what I did and its excellent... you also get the added bonus of Satnav!

cjp2k said:

6CD Changer in glovebox

I've got TomTom wihich serves well thanks. :)

galewis said:
I have a Symphony 2+ unit that I am thinking of selling if you're interested. I removed it from my new Sportback the day after I got it as I replaced it with another stereo, so it's effectively brand new. £375 to you.:hi:
Just wondered, is this still up for sale? Does it show the ID3 Tags?

cjp2k said:

6CD Changer in glovebox

:crying: :shutup2: Great..... cheers mate..... :whip:

:) No... in all seriousness, cjp2k is right. If you can stretch your budget a bit more, then the RNS-E really is the eye-candy to have. If you want to play CD's, you really do need the autochanger as well because the satellite navigation is DVD based and it only has one slot meaning you can't navigate and play CD's at the same time.

You will need the RNS-E (ranging from £400 - £550 off ebay), quadlock connector from kufatec, an GPS antenna (about £15-£20 from ebay). Installation is only slightly more tricky than the Symphony II+ upgrade. You have BOSE, so you need to move one of the pins on the quadlock, and you also need to locate the GPS antenna in a secure location. Some put it on top of the din cage which works quite well. I removed the glovebox and mounted mine on top of the glovebox frame which gave better reception. A bit more work, but worth it imho.

You will also need a nav disc. The latest 2007 discs are pretty expensive £150ish, I think, although you might be able to source a copy for much less (although this is illegal). Finally, if you don't buy an external cd changer (£125-£150 from ebay) and cable (£5ish from ebay), and intend to play all your MP3's off the two SD card slots, you would be well advised to buy a couple of 4GB SD cards (about £30ish each from a number of online retailers).

Make sure you don't buy SDHC cards (which look the same), as they're not compatible with RNS-E. As cjp2k correctly states, between them these can hold just over 1000 MP3 tracks recorded at a fairly decent bit rate of say 192kbs. Navigation between tracks is fairly painless, although fast forward/rewind through tracks happens at 1x speed and is inaudible in my experience which makes it almost as good as useless. Not sure if this function is any better on CD or with the Symphony II+ as I never got round to testing it. MP3 tag information is present with RNS-E. I think MP3 tag information is also present on the Symphony II+, I can't remember. Someone will confirm, I'm sure.

If you intend to go the RNS-E route, make sure you get hold of someone with VAGCOM to code your car correctly. You may need to adjust parameters for your wheel size (as the RNS-E uses a combination of satellites and the ABS system of your car to help determine where you are), DIS settings and BOSE AudioPilot setup. I have VAGCOM if you fancy a drive up to Cambridgeshire.

Alternatively, check out the ICE forum. There's a guy on there in the Manchester area who's very highly rated who will supply, fit and code the RNS-E, (without the cd-changer) for £800 I think? I think you might also get the nav disc for that price too.

So, in summary, RNS-E is a bit more money, a bit more hassle, but worth it in most forum member's opinion.

Hope that helps.

BennyB0Y said:
Just wondered, is this still up for sale? Does it show the ID3 Tags?

Yep, still for sale. I need to check about ID3 tags on DIS. I'm sure it'll be in the manual which is at home. I'll post again with an answer this evening unless someone is kind enough to do so before then.

galewis said:
Yep, still for sale. I need to check about ID3 tags on DIS. I'm sure it'll be in the manual which is at home. I'll post again with an answer this evening unless someone is kind enough to do so before then.
I have to say I'm very interested in your offer and am just thinking of when I can drive up to you (using my TomTom). I have friends I can visit while I'm in Peterborough. Also I'll need to get the adaptor for the connector given the info about the Symphony II having a different one to the Symphony II+. Looking forward to hearing from you. :) I appreciate this.
It take it you also have the code for the radio?:rockwoot:

Well... I've checked the manual for the Symphony II+ and no mention of DIS at all! So unless someone else can confirm that ID3 tags do appear on DIS, I'd make make the assumption that it doesn't.

Yes... I do have the security key.

ID Tags v2.3 are displayed on the headunit, when a MP3 CD is played, as well as on the DIS. Dont hold your breath though because there is limited number of characters displayed on DIS and not scrolling.

This is the main reason I suspect that an upgrade from II to II+ may not be possible, because the DIS was also upgraded sometime in the 2007 build.

Chris.

HeliChris said:
ID Tags v2.3 are displayed on the headunit, when a MP3 CD is played, as well as on the DIS. Dont hold your breath though because there is limited number of characters displayed on DIS and not scrolling.

This is the main reason I suspect that an upgrade from II to II+ may not be possible, because the DIS was also upgraded sometime in the 2007 build.

Chris.

Possibly... but I'm not convinced. I think DIS MP3 tags ARE displayed on pre 2007 builds using RNS-E. This shows that if the DIS was upgraded in the 2007 build, it wasn't to add tag info, because that funtionality already existed.

Can anyone with a pre 2007 build confirm that their DIS shows MP3 track information?

I take your point about the value of DIS Tag information however. It doesn't scroll and because there aren't that many characters to display, it is of limited use.

For your information the part number for the Dash Insert, which includes the DIS display, changed from the 2006 model year to the 2007 model year. If your car's VIN number has the 10th digit as a 7 then it should be the 2007 MY dash, which I think is the latest version. If the 10th digit is a 6 then it's the earlier 2006 MY version.

The dash insert changed at the beginning of the model year (June 2006)but they did not start fitting the Symphony II+ until production week 45 which was the w/b 6 November 2006.

galewis said:
Possibly... but I'm not convinced. I think DIS MP3 tags ARE displayed on pre 2007 builds using RNS-E. This shows that if the DIS was upgraded in the 2007 build, it wasn't to add tag info, because that funtionality already existed.

I suspect the ID Tags will be displayed because they seem to use the same functionality to display the RDS radio station name, BUT until someone has tried it there is always the possibility it won't.

Since there is some expense in changing the switch location, I would think the better swap would be for an ebay sourced RNS-E anyway, the effort to swap II to II+ seems not worth the return.

h5djr said:
For your information the part number for the Dash Insert, which includes the DIS display, changed from the 2006 model year to the 2007 model year. If your car's VIN number has the 10th digit as a 7 then it should be the 2007 MY dash, which I think is the latest version. If the 10th digit is a 6 then it's the earlier 2006 MY version.

The dash insert changed at the beginning of the model year (June 2006)but they did not start fitting the Symphony II+ until production week 45 which was the w/b 6 November 2006.
The 10th digit of my VIN number is a 7. It's a 2007 model.

galewis said:

Can anyone with a pre 2007 build confirm that their DIS shows MP3 track information?

I take your point about the value of DIS Tag information however. It doesn't scroll and because there aren't that many characters to display, it is of limited use.
I'm still interested in your offer. Thanks for going to the trouble (plus all those who replied) for finding out about ID3 Tags. My A3 is a 2007 model for sure.

Have any of you guys heard of Dension? This looks like another option where I could possibly keep my current 6CD Changer and have iPod too.

Well it's yours if you want it. I have the stereo removal keys and VAG.COM. Of course, I'll help you with the install. You just need to let me know when.

PM me if you want to progress further.:thumbsup: