Jeff's S4

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Just spent the morning at Bexley Audi speccing and ordering our first ever new car. It's an S4 Black Edition, in Tornado Grey with the following extras:

Audi Drive Select
Mobile phone prep - High with Audi Connect
Fine nappa leather Supersports seats in silver and grey
Heated front seats
Adapative lighting with cornering light function
Convenience pack
Technology Pack with HDD satnav
Storage pack

also some stuff that were compulsory add-ons with the options we chose

Ski-bag & through load, and
Leather door trims.

I'm still contemplating GAP insurance and Autoglym Lifeshine. I suspect I can get cheaper GAP elsewhere, and I think arranging for a local detailer to carry out a new car prep will be a better bet than having Autoglym applied by dealer staff. Meanwhile, the sales lady told me she'd supply a phone connect lead FOC on the day.

They're forecasting delivery in July. We should be given a build week by the end of April, and once we know what the build week is, it should be with the dealer another three weeks after that.

In the words of Hugh Laurie in Blackadder, I'm as excited as a very excited person who has a special reason for being excited.

I'm also looking forward to the transition to B8 World from the wonderful B7 community that has been my home these past five years.

Reactions: TahirS, scotty76, silentbrown and 4 others
Another S4 owner! good choice
Havent seen a car in Tornado Grey yet so looking forward to some pics.

you might want to kindly point out to the sales lady that the cables (ipod & USB) are included in the AMI price so technically are already free (they use to be extra back in 2008 when B8 launched)
So she can give you something else free. :)

Gap insurance definitely cheaper from others, dealer might price match and defo do not waste money on lifeshine
or risk letting the dealer prep your car (just my opinion) Invested in a good new car prep and protection from a detailer.

The timescale quoted seems good if they can stick to it – now sit back and contemplate many spec changes over the coming weeks

Good to see Mrs P got to choose the colour, lol. :thumbs up::undwech:x

Reactions: jdp1962
sounds like an immense machine u have specced there.
out of pure curiosity whats the base price for an S4 Avant?
i soooooo want one but can only dream at the mo

Defo get a detailer to carry out a new car prep, they will be 100% better than the dealers car washing chap applying Autoglym stuff.

Reactions: damian henry
sounds like an immense machine u have specced there.
out of pure curiosity whats the base price for an S4 Avant?
i soooooo want one but can only dream at the mo
Right now might be a good time. The B8 is on run-out sales ahead of the B9 launch, so Audi is discounting them with incentives. My car without options is more or less £40K, with options £46K. Audi is putting in £2.5K by way of deposit contribution, and the dealer is putting in the same, so I'm getting it for £41K in effect.

Right now, an S4 Avant before options and incentives lists at £40,910, and the S4 Avant Black Edition at £41,985.

Reactions: TahirS
Another S4 owner! good choice
Havent seen a car in Tornado Grey yet so looking forward to some pics.

you might want to kindly point out to the sales lady that the cables (ipod & USB) are included in the AMI price so technically are already free (they use to be extra back in 2008 when B8 launched)
So she can give you something else free. :)

Gap insurance definitely cheaper from others, dealer might price match and defo do not waste money on lifeshine
or risk letting the dealer prep your car (just my opinion) Invested in a good new car prep and protection from a detailer.

The timescale quoted seems good if they can stick to it – now sit back and contemplate many spec changes over the coming weeks
Thanks for the tip about the phone lead. I'll trade that for some spangly valve caps nearer the time.

Good to see Mrs P got to choose the colour, lol. :thumbs up::undwech:x
She helped choose the silver/black leather combo as well. The demo we drove on Tuesday had standard S4 seats trimmed in leather and alcantara. I casually asked Mrs Grumpy Old what she thought of "the suede-type stuff", and she pulled face like a smacked bum. Oh well, I thought, I'll just have to order the supersports seats with full leather & every way power adjustment. So big yaaay for wives helping with the spec. ;)

Reactions: Sandra and Keef
Here's what's fitted as standard:
Exterior

Black styling package
Aluminium-effect door mirror housings
Door mirrors – electrically folding and auto dimming with memory function
Light and rain sensor
‘S’ front and rear bumpers and side skirt
S4 integrated boot-lid spoiler
Xenon Plus lighting
Space-saving spare wheel
Tyre pressure loss indicator
19” x 8.5J ‘5-arm rotor’ design titanium finish alloy wheels with 255/35 R19 tyres

Interior

Aluminium scuff plates
Auto-dimming rear view-mirror
Deluxe 3-zone air conditioning
Piano black Inlays
LED interior light package
3-spoke ‘S’ Sports multi-function flat-bottomed steering wheel
Electrically adjustable 4-way lumbar support
Front centre armrest
ISOFIX child seat mounting
Split-folding rear seats
Colour Driver’s Information System (DIS)
Cruise control
Electromechanical parking brake
Electronic stability program (ESP)
Parking system plus, front and rear
Auto-opening boot lid
S sports suspension
Start-Stop function with energy recuperation
MMI radio plus (contained in Technology package – High)
Audi Music Interface (AMI)
DAB digital radio reception
Bang & Olufsen sound system

So jealous! My aim is in 3-4 years to get a 3-5 year old B8 S4!

Best of luck with it though.

Sounds very nice, seems like that the S4 is taking over world domination...lol.
I'm just jealous. :kissmyrings:

Just spent the morning at Bexley Audi speccing and ordering our first ever new car. It's an S4 Black Edition, in Tornado Grey with the following extras:

Audi Drive Select
Mobile phone prep - High with Audi Connect
Fine nappa leather Supersports seats in silver and grey
Heated front seats
Adapative lighting with cornering light function
Convenience pack
Technology Pack with HDD satnav
Storage pack

also some stuff that were compulsory add-ons with the options we chose

Ski-bag & through load, and
Leather door trims.

I'm still contemplating GAP insurance and Autoglym Lifeshine. I suspect I can get cheaper GAP elsewhere, and I think arranging for a local detailer to carry out a new car prep will be a better bet than having Autoglym applied by dealer staff. Meanwhile, the sales lady told me she'd supply a phone connect lead FOC on the day.

They're forecasting delivery in July. We should be given a build week by the end of April, and once we know what the build week is, it should be with the dealer another three weeks after that.

In the words of Hugh Laurie in Blackadder, I'm as excited as a very excited person who has a special reason for being excited.

I'm also looking forward to the transition to B8 World from the wonderful B7 community that has been my home these past five years.
@jdp1962 - Welcome along to the B8 Forum my friend :thumbs up:

Congrats on your new S4 order. 'Tis exciting times :)

You've also joined the new S4 wait club too :D

Looks like 2 mods in here full time then ;)

Whats your S4 buddy? A Saloon or Avant (altho' I suspect an Avant)

Reactions: TahirS
Just a side note I understand a lot of people are against having there car done by the dealer were it be autoglym life-shine or what ever product they offer. Being a part time detailer myself I will say this.

I am generally not a fan of the dealer touching my vehicle or a previous customers cars I used to work on. But funny enough a lot of half decent dealers actually outsource proper detailers to carry out the work.
So if you are in doubt, question them who carries out the package.

On the other hand there is better products out there that are more advanced than the autoglym range were it be a proper sealant from car pro quartz sealant. And can be done for cheaper money from a private detailer.

So just a thought.

Sorry to see you leave the B7 club. I might be joining the B8.5 club soon "undecided atm"

Yeah, I thought about that, Gio. I asked the sales person today and she confirmed they use in-house staff. So I'll take some time to speak to local detailers. The going rate for a new vehicle detail looks to be about £300.

Forgot to mention about the GAP & Detailing :banghead:

GAP? I'm using GAPInsurance123 for my cover. Going for the £25k cover & vehicle replacement cover

If the Autoglym Lifeshine is being applied in-house. Please DO NOT let them apply anything. I won't will be letting the supplying dealer do any prep work to the bodywork of my S4

Like you say, get some quotes from local Detailers. There's a post in the Detailing section I added about prices :thumbs up:

I've just contacted this local detailing firm to see what they can do for me. Meanwhile, I'll be getting a quote from GAPInsurance 123, and speaking to my car insurer about what information it needs and when it needs it. So much to think about, and only three months in which to do it all.

(Did someone say "three months"?! Arrrrgh!! :wtf:

Exciting times indeed & a lovely spec there, Tornado is an interesting colour - have you gone for the rotor alloys or the 5 spokes? (Good Luck)
Edit: rotors!!
It'll be nice to have it in the summer :)

Last edited:
Sounds nice. There's definitely good deals available on A4s now. The lowest quote I got a couple of months back was from carfile.net (basically, 14% discount on list price including all options), plus an extra £2500 finance contribution. My local dealer came within a few hundred ££, which was close enough for me!

Hadn't realised about "compulsory add-ons" - I think that to do with the super sport seats.

Did you get a demo of Audi Connect on an A4? I haven't specced this on mine (yet...)

Thanks, David. I opted for the Rotors rather than the five-spokes because each of the five spokes is split into three, and they'll be a PITA to clean. And sorry I missed your ad for the supercharged badges.

They're still for sale!!! - I might be up for a silly offer?! Would be nice to see them go to somebody on the forum :)
- yes, the rotors would definately cut down on the work load! I protected my 5 spokes with the gtechnic lacquer to try & make life a little easier but still show a lot of pitting unfortunately.

Hi Jeff! Welcome to the B8 section. I seem to recall when I left the B7 section you were going to get a Jaguar XF. :) You won't be disappointed in the S4. I have a black saloon and am very happy with it. Some quick stuff:

I got GAP insurance via ALA. Much cheaper than the dealer so possibly get a quote from them in addition to the company mentioned above.

I wouldn't go for the Autoglym, definitely go the detailer route. Much better results/products.

Lots of S4 threads on here lately so will give you something to read over the next 3 months. You never know, your car might be early. Mine turned up on it's provisional build date so was about 3-4 weeks early.

Hey, Scotty! Long time no see! Funny you should mention the Jagaur XF, because only on Monday just gone I was talking to Lancaster Jaguar in Sidcup. I actually rang about the upcoming XE, which will have a R version with the 3.0V6 from the F-Type. The salesman there was a real sheepskin-coated 70s throwback, who just wanted to drivel on about top speed and 0-60 times. If I'd gone to see him with Mrs Jeff, he'd had just frozen her out of the sales pitch which would have killed the deal totally.

It was also pretty apparent he's not met his monthly sales target, because he was desperate to get me to buy an end-of-line XF before the end of March. So much so, he was offering to bring it round to the house that evening. But it would have been a V6 diesel, and I was looking to go back to petrol. So I blanked him, and Tuesday we went to Bexley Audi instead, where the sales person turned out to be a lady.

Couldn't have turned out better. Right from the off, she engaged with Mrs Jeff. We spent very little time talking about the car, I just let them bond whilst swapping pictures and stories about dogs and other common ground they could establish, whilst I drove the demonstrator. Once we were back at her desk, and I knew the rapport was solid, I turned the conversation to the deal over the car. We got a good deal, and agreed to come back on Thursday after we'd fine-tuned the spec. Sure enough, yesterday, we squeezed a few more quid out of the final figures, and placed the order.

I'm putting out feelers to local detailing firms, and following up on all the recommendations I've had on here for the GAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty76
Well, it's great to have you here! If we can answer any questions please just ask. I found the B7 to B8 transition was quite a change. The B8 seemed a step up in quality (aside from my on going fight with the panel in the boot). The electric handbrake took some getting used to as well.

Audi Drive Select is probably my favourite option as it gives you different personalities all in the one car. Most of the time I leave it set to "Auto" but I like to flick to "Dynamic" for the odd blast or when I plan to overtake things. Would have loved the Super Sports Seats but like you set a budget and kept the options list down to meet it. I did spec the sports diff though unsure how much day-to-day difference it makes. It did seem to be one of the unique selling points of the S4/S5. I test drove an S4 that had it and had a hoot round the country lanes. So for the money I decided to add it in case I would later regret it.

Likewise I added hill hold assist (HHA) as it was £65 so probably the cheapest option going. I've never used it on a hill that I can recall but do use it all the time in stop/start traffic.

Finally, I added year 4 warranty for peace of mind.

Reactions: ERBY
One more sleep until I collect my S4 BE Saloon.:)
Got a Daytona Grey with the following waiting at Poole Audi ........

ADS
Damper Control
Sport Diff
Adaptive Light
Foldy Mirrors
Tech High
Leather Door Inserts
Heated Seats

Went in this evening to sign the finance docs......and sat and watched a guy having his S3 saloon unveiled !
I ummed and erred about the super sport seats....but as others couldn't justify/stretch to the 1.4K. Hopefully
I won't regret that........

Will take some pics tomorrow at the dealers to share...now you don't see it now you do :)
Hoping getting in the S4 will take the pain of walking away from my TT tomorrow !

Reactions: TahirS, jdp1962, ERBY and 2 others
Enjoy the moment! Mine is still a couple of months away...

I'd be interested in impressions about damper control - if it makes a big different to ride quality on poor roads I might have to revise my spec... :(

@StuBill , enjoy your collection tomorrow. We will look forward to hearing all about it and seeing some pics. :) x

Thanks guys :)
I'll report in the damper control, but did have a good play during the test drive and it makes a remarkable difference.
Main reason I went for it, is that I have to drive across the New Forest a couple of times a week, and the roads are rubbish in places.
My TT on 17's copes very well, so we will see how the S4 on 19's with comfort damper setting fairs......
I think the salesman thought I was strange asking to steam around the crappiest road we could find on the test drive of an S4, but there was a reason for it ! After all, I/we all know what an S4 can do on a decent bit of tarmac :)

I've got adjustable dampers on my S4 Avant and I can categorically say that the difference between dynamic settings and comfort settings are massive. I have to crawl over the sleeping policemen around my work campus but if I set them to comfort I can actually drive over then without dislocating my spine.

Bad news is that I also have fine nappa super sports and they are one of my must have options, a league apart from standard seats and a no brainer when buying a car of this value.

Reactions: ERBY