Moving the drivers seat...

BigBird

Lost in music...
Reaction score
Ok - tried to search for threads on this but can't find any.

7 months in with my S3 and loving it, apart from the seats. Checking threads, most S3 owners rate the seats highly. As a tall guy (6'5") I find that the seat is simply too close to the pedals even in the 'fully back' position - I get lower back pain after 45 mins or so.
Tried adjusting the seat base, noting the comments in other threads about raising the base of the seat, so that it's more level rather than tilted back, but still the pain. (Raising the base also moves me closer to the pedals, in a classic Granny / Mr Bean stylee...).

Anyone know if it's possible to modify and move the seat back further than the std 'full back' position to accommodate my lanky frame? Maybe adjust the rails a bit?

P.S. - Loving the car, but not loving the 7p per litre increase in Shell V-Power at garages in my area this week, whilst std unleaded only up 1p.:wtf:

Trying to keep away from Tesco 99 but the price...

I used to have the same problem in my A4, i fixed the problem with buying an A6.....sorry but its the only solution for us tall guys.

Modifying the seat will invalidate your insurance, and could be dangerous in the event of an accident.

This is true, modification of seat could invalidate insurance unless they accept the seat was modified to accomodate your height.

You could add a plate to bottom of each runner & fix the oem rails to this, but sit the rails further back of course, as long as the design is correct you could then freely move he seat back & forth, no doubt would need a decent fabricator to do this given it has a little raiser in the system that cleverly designed to always go back to the original position when seat gets bent forward to access rear, not impossible & tbh I'd say fairly simple, but use very robust metal to do the mod, shouldnt cost much & tbh you wouldnt even see the modification if done properly

Cheers for that guys. Was thinking of getting the seat adjustment done properly if it was possible, not just a botch job I'd try with my basic knowledge!
My old Golf IV fitted me great for 70k, as have many other hire cars I've driven long distances & some of them were tiny!

On the fuel, I've read many of the threads here on fuels & was trying to avoid reopening the old debate. Just haunted by the thread a while back on excessive coking up from someone's stripped TFSi engine.

As ever - should have kept me mouth shut!..
:think:

The person in question whose car was coked upto the eyeballs, scuse the expression was Jonnyc's iirc & his was an extreme case because of his extreme mods interms of power etc, his isnt anywhere near the norm mate as far as I'm aware, he had done a far bit of upgrades & was running a fairly heavily uprated power rating, no doubt he wasnt pottering around everywhere aswell with that power, I think this is relevant overall.

What beats me is how Clarckson fits in all these cars he tests !! He has to be 6,5" and he gets in 911's !!!

The person in question whose car was coked upto the eyeballs, scuse the expression was Jonnyc's iirc & his was an extreme case because of his extreme mods interms of power etc, his isnt anywhere near the norm mate as far as I'm aware, he had done a far bit of upgrades & was running a fairly heavily uprated power rating, no doubt he wasnt pottering around everywhere aswell with that power, I think this is relevant overall.

Nothing to do with the mods, it's just what happens to all TFSI engines as found in the S3/Golf etc. It'll happen whatever fuel you use (and he only ever used V-Power). The newer TSI engines in Sciroccos etc have been redesigned to help avoid it.

Tesco pick there fuel up from the same refineries as everyone else !

Yes, I agree seems to be more prevalent on these engines, but his does appear a hell of alot more advanced than others which I can only assume is the result of the modifications made, increased heat I would hazard a guess at.

On another note, whats the verdict on the laser eyes mate as its been a while now huh.

I was talking Bol**cks....Tesco get their petrol from Greenergy...just looked it up :)
--------------------------------

One of Greenergy's biggest clients is supermarket giant, Tesco. Greenergy have been supplying Tesco with GlobalDiesel since 2003, and now the UK's highest octane unleaded petrol, Super Unleaded 99 Octane. The Super-fuel will be rolled out to over 100 Tesco filling stations in London and the south east by mid November 2005.

The Super Unleaded 99 Octane offers an increased octane level that is higher than any other petrol supplier. It's also more environmentally friendly, and contains a special additive package that enhances engine cleaning, and as a result, delivers further long-term benefits.

Tesco are the first major petrol supplier to offer the most environmentally friendly petrol available in the UK. The fuel is a mix of high quality petrol components, blended to achieve 99 Octane. It includes 5% bioethanol, a renewable but also high-octane product which provides lower emissions of greenhouse gas and carbon dioxide.

Bla bla bla..........
--------------------------------------------

I wouldn't take much to coke an engine up.....A K&N oiled filter will coat your MAF and for a while you might think it goes a lot better as its running rich...sort of slightly on choke but after a while it will coke up. a far more likely cause of coke will be crap oil. super thin mineral oils get past the valve guide oil seals and burn on the valve stems... always and i mean always invest in a good synthetic oil like Mobil 1