Moving an engine

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I might of sorted myself a cheap engine to get me back in the s3 now I've never moved or lifted an engine before using a engine crane would it be possible to get it in a boot of a mk4 golf ? (Not a question I thought I'd ever ask)

I'm sure i seen someone on here loaded a engine in their boot but I think it might of been an estate

Last edited:
Yes. You can get the engine in the boot of your s3

I did it a couple of weeks back

IMG 1961

Back left you can see it peeking out there. Bring a spare tyre and a friend or two to help lift it up over the bumper.

Reactions: SamHendry and Tj 0785
Have a couple sheets of cardboard on the floor. That way it can slide about as you need it to.

Reactions: Tj 0785
I doubt you will be able to use the crane to get the engine into the boot - it will need to be lifted using people - you will probably find the engine crane will just get in the way and make it impossible to manoeuver.

exciting times - what engine have you found? a Cupra R version? those Seat Drivers see to crash far more often.

It's a s3 amk apparently it has full service history and was rebuilt by Audi @ 88,000 miles. It's just to get back in car after the holiday will still be looking to do internals n hybrid turbo. But if it checks out ok I will also get a chra off badger5 so the turbo will be in good shape

Are you giving up your old engine whilst using this one?

Possibly tempted to put a new head gasket, rocker, cover gasket and oil/water pump on the new one for peace of mind and so mechanic can have at look on inside and if anything needed can see if I can salvage from the old

Sorry auto correct mucked up my post. So I meant...
Are you going to upgrade the internals and turbo on your old engine whilst using the new AMK?
If you are going as far as the head gasket and oil pump, then why not change the rods at the same time? Both ends of the engine will already be off. What is it an extra 800 for the rods, bolts, rings and labour

I think it's more like £1500 for rods, bolts,rings and labour. I'm not sure yet to be honest. It's started off as just a cheap engine to get me going and already I'm getting carried away il have a think and if I can store the engine somewhere I might do it properly now and gather parts. Also I'm a bit cautious as apparently it was rebuilt by Audi less than 20,000 miles ago and it's only £300 sounds a bit to good to be true

Reactions: fanta
it's 1500 for all the stuff, but you already are investing in the top and bottom.
300 sounds like a good deal.

Yeah but to good tho I might jus fit it as is and do the full rebuild on my original engine no rush then

Maybe.. but I have seen several on eBay for 300 - 350

Some of the more expensive 650-750 come with gearbox and ancillaries too. The cam belt damaged ones are £120.

Last edited: