Moved over to the dark side

bantam1

Reaction score
Immensely sad to see the S3 go last week. Has been an amazing car for me. Blow was softened somewhat by picking this up on saturday morning (minus private plate). Very different to the S3 - 3 litre straight six. Instant throttle response and very fast car. Very pointy and direct - although taking it easy so far as this is my first RWD car.

I'm pleased to inform everyone that contrary to popular belief the indicators and mirrors are in working order. Whether the habit of using them will wear off over time i don't know. Also you can't see what it looks like when you're in it!

Have a couple of minor plans for the car but not going to spend the fortune i did on the S3.

Just like to say that this forum and site is an absolute pleasure and i'll be back from time to time to have a browse.

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00830.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

DSC00807.jpg

Nice car with a GREAT engine you got there :)

Nice colour, nice rims etc...good call. I used to drive one now and then at work and it was really nice but I found in interior space a bnit limited for my lanky frame :)

My sis had a 330 coupe which I presume is the same motor as yours....you cant beat that straight six sound :)

Literally replied to your PM asking after the purchase!

1 Series I struggle with. I love the back, but hate the side on view. Also hate the price tag for what it is. but as above, my God, what an engine!

traitor.jpg

:whip:

bantam mind telling roughly what you let your S3 go for? Just for reference?

Thanks

Last edited:
Literally replied to your PM asking after the purchase!

1 Series I struggle with. I love the back, but hate the side on view. Also hate the price tag for what it is. but as above, my God, what an engine!

You have to approach the car with eyes shut admittedly. Compared to other viable alternatives of the same age, at the moment these cars are cheap as chips. You can pick up a high miler pre-facelift for 9kish. Low miler 11-12k. Low miler with all the toys (mine!!) a bit more. Compare that to anything else with this performance and build quality that isn't japanese (e.g. new S3, R32) and you are paying a whole lot more. Running costs are minimal compared to the old / new S3 as well. Engine more economical.

Just don't look at it!

haha nice car that bantam..... you say its more economical?

Hows the performance in comparison...and the ultimate question, when are you buying back into the quattro realm again ;)

Very nice !

To echo other comments not the best looking cars but certainly not the worst !

I can see my next move being over to the dark side if i'm honest (if I don't upgrade to the 8P)

haha nice car that bantam..... you say its more economical?

Hows the performance in comparison...and the ultimate question, when are you buying back into the quattro realm again ;)

yep - good consumption for the engine it is which i expect to be better on fuel than my S3. Not massively, but an improvement. OBC was showing 34 MPG for a motorway cruise at 80 yesterday.

Performance is amazing - engine is a peach. Car feels faster than my mapped S3 and it goes around corners like it should. Runflats are ***** though - back end stiff as it is and can skip a bit on a rough surface and you can feel the electronics intervene.

Quattro will be once winter sets in!! Actually have plans to run winter tyres Nov- Marchish and then swap back over to summer tyres. Dumping the runflats for some PS3s this week.

Last edited:
Thank God. Mate has a fairly new Cooper S Works. Came with run flats and the lady before kept them as standard. Got rid IMMEDIATELY and it's like a different car.

I know you bob up this way every so often, be good to have a look over it fella if you're around for a pint.

...but hate the side on view....

I concur... looks like a fat business man has sat in it... but... I do have a sweet spot for a 3 series coupe... (if you tell anyone I'll deny it :noway:)

Good luck with the car though bud... I miss the V6 from my A4... smooth and very nice sounding...

<tuffty/>

Good engine choice there. I cant stand the looks of the car though lol. Coupe is slightly better on the eye :)

Great choice can see the reason why you went for it, good value when compared to a similar 8P S3/R32. I will be changing my S3 in 6-12 months and may end up going for a 1-series, it's on my shortlist of options!!

The 135i is tempting but its a shame its only available in the coupe. Will probably end up going for a 123d (twin-turbo).

Chris

Good shout on throwing the runflats in the bin!

Looking good mate, not super keen on the shape, but a good car overall, and that engine!!! NICE :)

As for the Indicators and mirrors, I bet you tried them while the car was standing, you watch as soon as you start it they get disabled, i think its called the BMW I 'cant' drive system

On a serious note, nice one mate ;)

At the risk of being ejected from this forum forever can i just say that having had this a few days now, this car is mentallist. So, so different to the S3 - but in a good way.

I'll get my coat now ........... just don't want to migrate to babybmw.net just yet you see!!

I guess that means you've grown something on your forehead?? My dad's just gone from audi to a bmw so I have many jokes that I can throw your way... (shame he has 500 odd bhp so the abuse seems to roll off his sholders :sorry: )

At the risk of being ejected from this forum forever can i just say that having had this a few days now, this car is mentallist. So, so different to the S3 - but in a good way.

I'll get my coat now ........... just don't want to migrate to babybmw.net just yet you see!!

I have to say, it must be something special to out handle your S3 with the suspensions mods you have put to it Jon! :racer: