MOUNTAIN BIKE ROOF RACK

wawab

Reaction score
Any mountain bikers on here risked putting roof bars and bike carriers on the roof of their S3?

cheers

I was thinking about ti then realised all the crap would fall off the bikes onto my roof so I put them inside for now.

Wawab....

Please read this

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/read.php?f=2&i=2813326&t=2791560#reply_2813326

And

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/read.php?f=2&i=2813196&t=2813196#reply_2813196

They are two threads on the Singletrack forum about my roofrack failures.

I have since got a rear door mounting Thule rack and it is miles miles better.

If your worried about crap falling on your car, take a garden pump type sprayer with you (B&Q £14), and use this to clean the bikes off before you put them on the car. Looks stupid when you use it but it works a treat.

Hope this helps.

PM me for more info.

so trying to pick out the most important bits:

1. the fork fitment ones are not good (ive heard they can dammage your forks anyway)

2. the german make the "Atera Giro" frame holding one which is supposed to be better?

is this the basic outcome of it?

cheers

I have a Thule set-up with aero bars and 591 racks and never had any problems in 2 years and that is with some sprinted driving and with free ride bikes, so quite heavy!

Here is a pic of mine,

wawab said:
so trying to pick out the most important bits:

1. the fork fitment ones are not good (ive heard they can dammage your forks anyway)

2. the german make the "Atera Giro" frame holding one which is supposed to be better?

is this the basic outcome of it?

cheers

Pretty much, but I now think they are more secure on the back door and I am kicking myself that I didnt buy the genuine Audi rack with my car. I had a look at one for an 8P, and its a beutifully made bit of kit. Useless for the 8l but there you go...

My current carrier is fitted in under 30 secs and doesnt beed clamps around the window seals either. Also, as per SCIB4, the wheels stay on when mounted.

I've been using the 591 carriers with an Audi rack for the last couple of years on my A3, and a couple of years before that on my TT without any issues. Fingers crossed....

I find putting the rack on a bit of a faff to be honest, so I'm going to fit a removeable tow bar and then get a tow bar mounted rack I think.

I'd been putting the bikes on top of the Golf using Thule racks for a couple of years and I did end up with some slight damage to the roof. Sometimes carelessness putting them on and taking them off and the mud and dirt that dropped off wasn't good. I decided when I got the S3 that it was time one of my mates did some of the driving when we get away.

I'm a semi pro MTBer:icon_thumright: (that means i get paid ride but not enough to live on!)

i'm not the messy kind of rider though its TRIALS Riding, i used to have my A4 avant for slinging my smaller bikes in, but am probly going back to a roofrack or rear carrier design i have sponsors that can get me the stuff whats you reccomendations on either?

on another note this is the team i ride for www.m-a-d.co.uk I'm nicknamed ''GAYBAR'' (LETS NOT GO THERE:o.k:) this year we're getting a landrover G4 defender for our shows!
theres a link on there to the company that sponsor us for the RACKS its called maxx raxxs check em out!:icon_thumright:

thanks a lot guys. a big help.
i just have fears of rear mounted racks because i damaged a bumper using one of them, possible not the best designed one i had but still dont fancy risking another one.

do you have any or could you send me pictures of it fitted to your car rick?

cheers

rick, is a lot of weight sitting on the back window? Would not like that myself.

Here you go. Just put this on for you..

Its got to be better than this...

GT006.jpg

So thats it fitted.
Picture001.jpg

The two flat things on the door top are nicely powder coated and self adhesive plastic strip is supplied to protect paint. There are two thin plastic coated wires holding the frame tight. There are two rubber pads on the top of the window. (See last picture).
Picture002-1.jpg

The big black thing in this pic is an overlock buckle and tightens the whole lot on the car. Bits around the bottom of the door are rubber protected. (back door not shut properly)
Picture003-1.jpg

Ready to load up... The two clamps at the top of the frame hold the bikes. The outer one has a lock on it. You can imagine from how the bikes would sit that teh rubber pads on the top of the window would have very little load on them at all.
Picture012-2.jpg

The back door can be raised with the bikes in place too.

Hope this helps.

only thing i'm not sure on is that i have a spoiler. and dont want to damage it.

wheres the devils staircase?
i live in Buckie but work in Elgin monday - friday.

Devils Staircase is in Glencoe..... forms part of the west highland way to Fort Bill... I think your more Mt Keen/Cairngorms territory and thats too high for the weather and time of year at the moment for me...... but if your ever down this way, give me a shout.

i got genuine audi roof bars for the a3 & fitted them last night. they are easy to fit & dont & shouldnt mark the paintwork as long as the rubber pads and the areas of the car where they are fitted are cleaned properly prior to fitting.

i have some pictures i took on my fone that i can try and upload for any1 that is interested.

cheers

:thumbsup: