Mountain Bike Rack

L

L60N

Hi guys.

To the hardcore bike thrashers among you. Me and a few friends are regular XC bikers and at the weeked there is nothing we love more than frightening the crap out of ourselves and getting covered in sh1t.

We go to various trail centers and as such I need to travel by car.

It wasnt a problem in the Mondy; with such a massive boot I used to just drop the seats and throw it in. But i think i need to get a rear rack sorted for the S3.

My main concern (apart from the bikes being secure) is that the rack wont rub on the paintwork for obvious reasons. I can see myself being really anal in this car. "Omg your feet are filthy!! Wash them in that puddle" :shutup2:

So far im only convinced with this Thule 9105 rack.

http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____33556.aspx

Has anybody got any experience with it? Or can recommend a good 2 bike rack for a hatchback?

Much thanks

Leon

Reactions: Compkiler
I gave up looking for a rear-mount, as with an S-line there's a problem fitting around the roof spoiler with most racks. I guess the S3 has the same problem?

In the end I bought Thule roof bars plus cycle carriers. Also has the advantage that you have the roof bars for other uses too.
This may give you an idea of what to look for (prices as of mid-2006), but double-check the part numbers.

Aero Bars ref 869 (or standard bars ref 769)
Foot pack ref 750
Fitting Kit ref 1314
You should be able to get all of this for about £115 (or £90 for standard bars).

I also bought 2x cycle carriers ProRide 591 and a one-key system upgrade.

Now way would I even try to put a bike rack on a new S3, even if it would fit. I get 2 bikes in the back of mine without any probs, just take the front wheels off put one in, place an old quilt in on top, then the 2nd bike. I also cover the inside with a groundsheet, been doing this for yrs without any problems.
Really love the bikin myself, out most weekends. Anyway whats this trail centres rubbish , following arrows, get out in the real countryside, up real mountains, much more rewarding only problemis there is no arrows to follow. Do occasionally ride trail centres myself, when the weather is really crap.

Mark

L60N said:
My main concern (apart from the bikes being secure) is that the rack wont rub on the paintwork for obvious reasons. I can see myself being really anal in this car. "Omg your feet are filthy!! Wash them in that puddle" :shutup2:

boki said:
a tip, get some nice rectangles of clearbra material, and place them where the rack feet rest. it helps in precisely locating the rack feet, and protects your clearcoat from getting marred. like this

yakimafeetpads.jpg

more to read here
http://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/76463.phtml

I didn't want a bike rack or roof rack touching my paintwork so I bought a bike bag and put the back seats down and transport it that way.

Didn't realise until after I bought the car that the A3 doesn't have roof rack fixing points already built in.

I use Thule roof bars on my S3, works really well, can get 3 bikes on the roof no trouble.

Cant say I'm particularly concerned about the potential for minor scratches, I bought this car to be practical.

Might well look into some of that clearbra material though, looks like a good way to minimise any potential damage.

Ive seen both roof racks AND rear racks on 3door A3's :sorry:

Must be that they didnt have a spoiler? ah well.

Theres no way im putting a rack on the roof and having all the **** dropping on the paintwork. Another thing i noticed with the rear rack was that the grabber fits round the rear quarter window frame, peeling back the rubber seal, it didnt look to be doing it much good.

A bike bag could be a good idea.

Im still hoping to find a spoiler friendly Rear rack.... ;)