MOT guidance - bodywork

Steveredman

Reaction score
Hi,

So my A6 fell victim to someone trying to insert a Seat Leon up the exhaust pipe yesterday! Question is this . . .

It is booked in for it's MOT tomorrow and I am wondering if it is likely to fail on the bodywork, I've attached pics, first is the car immediately after the event, complete with a bit of Leon stuck down near the left exhaust.

Second 2 are my attempt to make it more likely to pass it's MOT, but I don't really know how these are judged, hence the question

a6c32f487417d8f4ba9c0a705c89e41c.jpg

2ee1b194805ea81e90924c10280cc50f.jpg

c5eeb109209d903cefb06b41ba48f7f2.jpg

Thanks for any assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumper is pushed back as best as I can with it being bent out of shape, it's secured with screws in the wheelarch. I filled the hole with cardboard and gaffa tape and then sprayed some Phantom Black over the top and onto the corner of the tailgate.

Must be ok as Ford folk fix bumpers all the time with gaffer tape .

Reactions: Sandra
It would only fail if it has sharp edges, your repair will be fine for the MOT.

Reactions: Steveredman
Update, it passed the MOT.

Thanks guys,

Reactions: Redbaron1973 and Roadrunner146
Just to finish off the story and to share my joy of having her back after 2 weeks of driving a courtesy car here is a celebratory photo of her bum looking all shiny

d4a8d59c77e1029dd38cded48dfe10b6.jpg

Reactions: KrisKrk, far2tall and Furryhobnob
Just to finish off the story and to share my joy of having her back after 2 weeks of driving a courtesy car here is a celebratory photo of her bum looking all shiny

d4a8d59c77e1029dd38cded48dfe10b6.jpg

Gotta love a shiny bum!

Reactions: KrisKrk and Steveredman
Avant sized is perfect for me

The work was done by Alton Cars, they were chosen by the insurer, they've done a great job though

Reactions: far2tall and KrisKrk
Must be open season on A6 Avants at the moment!
This week I've had my door mirror removed by another car which crossed onto my side of the road.
Not much damage to look at, but all the pieces of trim soon add up.

They target us or what ?! Lol

Mine is gathering dust at the moment as two bulging discs in the lower back unable me to walk, sit and definitely to drive.
It hurts me even more to see my car in that state

Hope you get that sorted, Simon and got that person to cover for it.

Thanks Kris, it was far too close for comfort.
I hope your back is better soon and you can drive your car again.

This is the first time I've made an insurance claim in over 20 years and already I'm fed up with how slow the process is!
I've not heard from the other guys insurance yet, probably trying to string things out as they will be paying and I'm waiting for claim forms from mine. They insist in posting them out - what's wrong with email?

Thanx Simon.

As stupid as it sound but they want all on paper.
It took nearly a year to finalise my claim when a cabbie decided to leave imprint of he's front bumper on my rear bumper.
Got the quotes from few places and had it fixed right away as could not stand courtesy car any longer.

Amount of papers I have from each correspondence is ridiculous.

Good luck with it

I guess mine was quicker as since they decided there was potential damage to the exhaust they recommended I stopped driving it and provided a hire car, which the other party's insurance was paying for so they quicker they moved the cheaper it was for them.

I refused to drive mine straight away after getting quotes.
Got courtesy vehicle also on other party insurance.
Joy ride in c class for some time

A C Class would have been alright, they gave me a GLE350d, felt like a van driver!

Reactions: KrisKrk
I was driving A4 then so got similar vehicle.
GLE sounds fun

The GLE looked nice, but it cost me a fair bit as I do quite a few miles and it only got 30mpg on the motorway and the A6 gets about 40 if I'm gentle. Also I much prefer sitting closer to the road, was a big relief to sit back in the A6 when I picked it up

My previous A6 was written off and I've spent the last 4 weeks in a '17 plate Q7 Quattro! ...fun for a while but definitely nice to be back down low closer to the road in a 'realistic' car. I can't understand the mentality of people who drop £70k on a brand new car. I guess it's all relative to what you can afford though. I'm happy in my 'new' '59 plate :)

I had fun in the c class. It was lighter car with 170bhp so was flying in it.
Only down side was the seats. Hate them as they were too small for me and uncomfortable. My wife also didn't like them.
As a car was alright and economy wasn't so bad.

If I could afford new car, I would got it. But feel great my 10plate and wouldn't change it for any other manufacturer.

If I could afford a £70K car then I'd still go second hand, a nearly new RS6!! The GLE had 10bhp more then the A6 but at 2.25 tons it was definitely slower. Also I nearly crapped myself after squeezing it into a lift at a car park in London and halfway up looking in the rear view mirror to see in big red letters "WARNING: MAX LOAD 2250KG"

GLE + me + diesel + luggage will have been quite a bit more than 2250kg!!

Very nice, and the blue would be my choice too, one thing for sure though, those 200 miles were expensive!

I dread to think what the list price was for that car if it's £100k used! Crazy money.

I don't get the matt paint though. Got to be nice and shiny.