MOT Failure - £400 for new headlight!!!

GibletsS3

Reaction score
Just been down to Abtech in Southampton, my S3 failed the MOT as the Adjuster on the headlight is broken. They've said the only way is to replace the whole thing, thats £400 for a Halogen headlight unit!!!!

Anyone know where I could pick one up cheaper?

If it's for an S3 that'll include the ballast (high voltage bit) casing and xenon bulb I bet, so it's not actually a bad deal for £400, but you almost certainly don't need all of it which is why it's a waste.

Do they mean the levelling motors don't work? You can buy them for around £40 and they're a doddle to fit, you don't need to change the whole headlight.

Could get a brand new headlight for £70 ish from most auto factors.

Could get a brand new headlight for £70 ish from most auto factors.

Not for the facelift S3, trust me i tried before coffing out for my new one. They are £480 from Audi, i managed to get a quote of £400 from VAGPARTS and then got a dealer to price match this.

As someone said before, i think you can buy the motor seperate from the headlight itself and it just twists in.

As someone said before, i think you can buy the motor seperate from the headlight itself and it just twists in.

Yes if its just the motor thats gone. I believe the part number is 8L0941295B. When i had to replace mine it was the mechanism inside the headlamp that was broken ( caused by a coming together with a pheasant at about 70mph) not the motor so had to replace the whole lamp

Ah ha, advert on ebay for a bloke breaking an S3 that's been rear ended, just bagged a headlight unit for £160.

All front parts available chatting to the bloke, its a 2002 face lift S3 he's breaking.

Ah ha, advert on ebay for a bloke breaking an S3 that's been rear ended, just bagged a headlight unit for £160.

All front parts available chatting to the bloke, its a 2002 face lift S3 he's breaking.

When my headlight hit the ground, it was the mechanism inside the headlight that the motor spins inside that was disconnected.

You should check that, and the motor before replacing the headlight.
You can replace the motor quite easily as I understand, but to check the mechanism inside the headlight will require it to be removed, which is a bumper off job....

(shamless plug) i've got brand new boxed genuine S3 facelift headlight if anyone needs one, complete with all bulbs, £195

although knowing my luck as soon as it's sold i'll need it.... :(

dscf1330ys8.jpg