1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOT Faild today??????????

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by andya3turbo, Sep 13, 2012.

1. andya3turbo

andya3turbo Member

A3 faild its mot today on emissions CO levels too high, getting 0.57 on fast idle and limit is 0.30
    and getting 0.56 on idle. any ideas what this could be? my air filter is a bit dark black but have seen worse??. oil was changed and filter 3 months ago? also tester said about spark plugs not gapped? anyone have any ideas?

thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Greg-S3

Greg-S3 Active Member

Have the car scanned for faults, get the car really hot before your next re-test, have the MAF sensor checked when scanned, when scanned see what the lamda's are reading, those fuel tank additives work, the good ones anyway!

4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

What was lambda value?

If it was sitting at lambda 1 with sensible HC then your cats either dead or missing.

5. Danio

Danio AUDI-MANIACS.COM

How come I've never seen you in Skem???Come to me andwe can check it what is wrong with your car. I'm in old Skem.

6. Benjiman46

Benjiman46 R-Tech Terrorist

Dead cat(s) I'm afraid

7. gazzas3

gazzas3 Member

could also just be something simple like it needing a full service, with new plugs or the car wasn't up to temp while checking the emissions.

8. s33nyboy12

s33nyboy12 Well-Known Member

Paste it first with a forte engine cleaner and shell optimax in the fuel tank , worked for my focus st! :)

9. Scoot123

Scoot123 New Member

I am a tester,give your car a good hard drive before u get it retested again.

10. Danio

Danio AUDI-MANIACS.COM

Put a brake fluid to the throttle body. It will clean all system but it will smoke for a couple of minutes.

11. actualeddie

actualeddie Member

Maybe Terraclean, always wanted to try it myself

12. andya3turbo

andya3turbo Member

Cheers everyone for tips and advice, i used cata clean and nothing still sky high CO 's as above the cat is dead, lambada is fine tho atleast, got the old cat off yesterday. a little something i thought i would mention tho, i seen a video on YouTube about cat testing and it said that a small hole or gaps in the manifold joint can lead to high levels, on removing the cat one of the bolts was missing and the other was loose:wtf: i am just thinking is it all that simple??? there's no rattle on the cat or anything so nothing is crumbled inside unless its burnt up? my new cat is ordered now so sit back and wait:icon_thumright:

13. Greg-S3

Greg-S3 Active Member

It could be as simple as replacing the stud and tighten it up! I remember fixing a vauxhall Astra that was running massively rich, turned out the problem was a tiny crack in the manifold after bank 1 lamda and before bank 2 and it turned out cold air (taken in from the crack)
    was rushing past bank 2 lamda which was raising the fuel put into the system hence high c0!!