1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOT and engine light.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by arthurfuxake, Aug 26, 2011.

1. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

[Aug 26, 2011]
    I have an issue with my car that only disappears when the MAF is unplugged. This causes the engine management light to stay on, will they fail it because the light is on? Unplugging the MAF is the only way the car runs perfectly, it loses power when it's connected.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 26, 2011]
    Nope, engine management light is an advise at most. The only way it could fail is if because the MAF is unplugged it emits excessive smoke for the smoke test.
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 26, 2011]
    Have you thought about buying a new MAF to fix the problem? Surely your car must be using more fuel or running less power with the MAF anplugged!
  5. gary3306

gary3306 Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 26, 2011]
    Some MOT testers may refuse to test it if an EML is on. For the smoke test the throttle has to go to maximum. A tester may be reluctant to do taht in case he causes more faults or something goes bang. If he's doing his job properly he will see that on his pre-test checks give you the option to take it away before he logs it on for test. The light being on, in itself isn't a failure though. Will be after January 2012 though.
  6. arthurfuxake

[Aug 26, 2011]
    Yeah, it's had 3 new MAF units. It has almost zero power when plugged in, but runs better than it ever did with it unplugged. Better fuel consumption in summer, slightly worse in winter. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
  7. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Aug 26, 2011]
    Are you using genuine MAF sensors or have you been replacing with pattern units?
  8. arthurfuxake

[Aug 27, 2011]
    Genuine.
  9. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 27, 2011]
    I would check the wiring on the connector/plug for the MAF unit then. I think you can buy these seperately, I remember a member writing a 'how to' on how to replace the whole plug actually, but not sure what section it was in though?