1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most important: exterior vs interior/performance

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by GreatBallsofFire, Mar 22, 2014.

1. GreatBallsofFire

GreatBallsofFire Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    Thus, if you have to chosen (as most of has to in the real world). I myself would tradeoff exteriör look for practicallity and tech stuff. As I am the driver I will not see much of the exterior most of the time anyway. But there are some hard choises to make, indeed. And god looking cars for sure makes the girls happier.. Whar was jour hardest choise in tis respect?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 22, 2014]
    The worst thing for me was having to have a black interior because Audi no longer offer a cloth option other than black.

All of my eight A3 I had a light grey interior which I liked very much but is now only offered in leather which I don't like. My choice for my new A3 was been light grey leather and black cloth and to me black cloth was the least evil.
  4. jbs2472

jbs2472 Active Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    My hardest choice was the engine! Currently drive a 2011 A3 2.0tdi 170 s-tronic and couldn't make my mind up whether to stick with Diesel or go Petrol, after test drives in both options opted for the Petrol on this occasion but that's not to say won't go back to diesel.

Interior I have specced the same minus the full leather as only opted that really when the children were babies as easier to wipe clean.
  5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    God looking cars make the girls happier? Mmmm....
  6. thehoss

thehoss New Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    Company car and the budget basically boiled down to a 2.0 Sport or 1.6 S Line.

Went for the S Line because I'm a tart! Plus its going to be spending most of the time on the motorway
  7. balsaq

balsaq Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    What about Alcantara?
  8. steeve

steeve Active Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    For me it's how it drives, rather than the interior. Don't get me wrong the interior and whether its a nice place to be is important, but I'd trade off some fancy options if it meant I could afford a better performing car.
  9. veeeight

veeeight Well-Known Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    I lost sleep over Nappa vs Alcantara.

#firstworldproblems
  10. Itguy

Itguy Active Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    Interior and spec first, exterior after for me.

I'm lucky that the S3 looks good to start with and that I bought tinted windows for our dog, but they do enhance the looks.

I wouldn't buy bigger wheels if they were offered (ride comfort) and I didn't buy the black pack.

It took fighting against all my instincts to buy a "special" colour other than having a free one. I HATE paying for a colour but Panther is very nice and every time I wash the car I don't regret it.
  11. Daz Auto

Daz Auto Active Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    I was think about priorities in choosing a car last night. My wife was on a works night out in a major town. I volunteered to drive. Had to pick up 2 of her colleagues and take everyone to the restaurant. Then get myself something to eat. Do some late night shopping. Then see the late showing of Non Stop at the cinema. After which I returned everyone home. So I did a fair bit of driving around this town. The thing is, the roads in this town were in a shocking state. And it was really, really uncomfortable in my car at just 30 mph. As my wife was chatting to her friends I could actually hear in their voices when I hit another road repair. That is how much the bumps were being felt in the car! Yet ride comfort is one thing that is often overlooked when choosing a car.

Being a VW, I just expected my Golf to be comfortable. Regrettably it is not. I will never have another car on sports suspension. Even on goodish roads it is just too jiggly. And I don't enjoy being so connected to the road that I can feel every small stone.

Having said that I don't really want to sacrifice anything the next time I change, but I will be starting with comfort.

So in order of importance - comfort, exterior looks, performance, then the rest. My problem will be getting the balance between comfort and performance right next time. My last car was very comfortable but underpowered and not enjoyable to drive.

Edit to add: if we didn't care about exterior looks then we would all buy a Skoda. Which is basically the same car.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  12. GreatBallsofFire

GreatBallsofFire Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    Sad story. Citroen with air suspension next time? However, if magnetic ride would have been better and less expensive, one could have the cake while still eating it. I dislike cars wobbling over the lanes in high speeds, hence I chose the sport suspension.
  13. GreatBallsofFire

GreatBallsofFire Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    True, very deliberately by WW, Skodas only choise in the same size range is very ugly and unsexy (and with less optional cool tech add ons). I can picture WW managers turning down design suggestions from the Skoda branch- "sorry, to good looking, try again" or the similar.
  14. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 22, 2014]
    I tend to agree. To me comfort, especially on long drives, is probably the most important criteria for me (any my wife). I also like plenty of performance and a nice interior. If the car looks good from the outside as well that's a bonus. Over the past few new A3s I found the best comfort/appearance compromise to be 17" wheels with the standard suspension. Good handling with the wider tyres but still comfortable with the standard suspension. I now find sports suspension too hard although I did have it an my first four 1.8T Sport A3s from 1998-2003. The last four (8Ps) I've had have all been on standard suspension. The interiors of the A3 have all been good for the time and I have always been happy with them. The same applies to the exterior.

I have always had test drives in other VAG models, as I definitely want DSG, such as the Golf and the Skoda Octavia. The Golf VII interior I like but the way they do their models I don't. I wanted a 184 and the only Golf is a GTD which comes as standard with sports suspension and privacy glass, neither of which I would want. When I drove the Octavia is was OK but the interior was not in the same class as the A3.

All these consideration let to me to my present order for a Sportback 2.0TDI-184 s-tronic quattro Sport but with standard suspension and 17" alloys. I'm hoping I will enjoy driving the new one as I do my current A3.
  15. BGS

BGS Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    All of the above, and with the 8v you can have them all. If my lease scheme would have allowed I'd have fully decked out an S3. The emissions restrictions meant that was not an option so A3 it was with all the bells and whistles. Drive select and mag ride mean I can have the best of both worlds. Or at least as much as 140 BHP will allow :)
  16. Daz Auto

Daz Auto Active Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    I tried to do that - have Adaptive Chassis Control fitted to my Golf. It makes an insignificant difference. My options are supposed to be - comfort, normal and sport. In reality - firm, firmer and very firm. Though apparently it is not as good as the Audi mag ride. However, over on the VW forums there are some good reviews of the new DCC system fitted to the Mk7s. Though I will only consider buying it based on a test drive. Which may prove difficult.
  17. Daveotto

Daveotto Well-Known Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    Just got back from a few days in France and several hundred miles driving and has to be a balance between engine performance and seat comfort. I would compromise some tech and visual niceties like s-line body kit and interior light pack but would never compromise on comfort and performance.
  18. royalsteve68

royalsteve68 Active Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    Love the s3.. Got an a5 courtesy car and it was rubbish in comparison. As for the other courtesy car I had the Mercedes email class couple was one of the worst cars I've driven
  19. Flibble

Flibble Member

[Mar 22, 2014]
    As I understand it ACC/DCC is more like drive select on Audis. Actual mag ride is a step further in tuneability.
  20. Daz Auto

Daz Auto Active Member

[Mar 23, 2014]
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  21. geefunk1978

geefunk1978 Well-Known Member

[Mar 23, 2014]
    It's all about power/handling/Quattro in a small, practical, well built hatchback for me. Pretty much my perfect car.
    h5djr likes this.
  22. GreatBallsofFire

GreatBallsofFire Member

[Mar 23, 2014]
    Any idea why Top Gear does not agree with you (and me)?
  23. Flibble

Flibble Member

[Mar 23, 2014]
    If it was all about performance I'd have gone with an M135i - they're cheaper and faster. But they're also butt ugly and there's no x-drive option in the UK. Apparently the interior is poor compared to the S3 too, but I didn't get as far as actually sitting in one.
  24. balsaq

balsaq Member

[Mar 23, 2014]
    I have sat in one and can confirm (in my opinion of course) that the interior feels and looks inferior to the S3.

To me it just seemed boring, dated, busy and the finish of the materials appeared plasticky.