1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most 'Iconic' Badge...GTI or Quattro?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by PNH80, Mar 10, 2008.

?

Most 'Iconic' Badge...GTI or Quattro?

Poll closed Mar 17, 2008.
  1. GTI

69.0%
  2. Quattro

31.0%
  1. PNH80

PNH80 Low life livin' the high life.

[Mar 10, 2008]
    Alright folks this is just for fun...

Me and a mate at work have been arguing over which is the most 'iconic' car (biggest cult following, most influential, most desired etc etc). He has a Golf GTDI and i have an A3 quattro so we're obviously going to disagree! I say the 'quattro' badge on mine carries more credibility and is generally 'cooler' with it's heritage in motosport. There'd be no Evo's and Scooby's without it...He says the GTI badge has more credibility as that was the car which started the whole 'hot hatch' and thus affordable car modding and tuning etc etc.... (the argument went on for some time)

So which do you think is the most iconic VAG badge... GTI or Quattro?

Discuss!

Paul.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. S3IZZO

S3IZZO Guest

[Mar 10, 2008]
    In terms of followers i'd say GTi hands down.
  4. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[Mar 10, 2008]
    :thumbsup:
  5. Boydie

Boydie Guest

[Mar 10, 2008]
    I went for gti but the rally nuts will say quattro!
  6. phantom

phantom On Boost

[Mar 10, 2008]
    GTI for the man in the street , Quattro got a hard core following.

p
  7. PNH80

[Mar 10, 2008]
    I think it's basically which name inspires a car enthusiast the most "Audi Quattro" or "Golf GTI".... Without doubt the GTI badge has more romance about it and is still the benchmark for all affordable cars. The GTI is the car to beat. But for those in the know from a technical/mechanical perspective i think it's got to be the Quattro. Besides the quattro name is having a bit of a rennaisance lately "fire up the quattro" and all that...
  8. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Mar 10, 2008]
    Gti, no question.
    It was the one that launched a thousand copies.
    Quattro may have been an engineering marvel, but it didn't force other manufacturers to come up with their own versions, which Gti did.
  9. richardn

richardn Member

[Mar 10, 2008]
    I say GTI has a bigger main stream following but Quattro has a bigger cult following...
  10. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Mar 10, 2008]
    Gti all the way!
  11. PNH80

[Mar 10, 2008]
    Very true, the GTI had more impact on modern day affordable fast cars but the quattro did force all top tier rally cars to be come 4WD and inspired modern day cult cars such as the Lancia Delta, Mitsi Evo, Impreza....etc.
  12. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Mar 10, 2008]
    My missus knows what a Gti is, or stands for.
    She wouldn't have a clue what a quattro is.
    For that reason alone, it shows that 'Gti' is the one that's become a household word.
  13. L60N

L60N Guest

[Mar 10, 2008]
    GTi. Legend.:respekt:
  14. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 10, 2008]
    Sorry but when you can buy a Rover Metro or 416 GTi, it really does destroy any meaning behind the term. Totally overused and devalued, and also as for Golf GTi, anyone who had the displeasure of owning/driving a Mk3 so called Golf GTi would not want to really be associated with the term (0-60 10.3 seconds - wow!)
    Quattro all the way.
  15. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

[Mar 10, 2008]
    totally agree with that!
  16. treblesykes

treblesykes Member

[Mar 10, 2008]
    Agreed Gti should be the winner but it has been over used and taken for granted. But is an A3 quattro really a quattro? I'd say yes as its a 4 wheel drive Audi others may insist it need a torsen diff to qualify.
  17. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

[Mar 10, 2008]
    I voted quattro because it reminds me Group B Quattros.... amazing... For me.

GTI might me more popular because of the Pug 205... But I voted with mixed feelings... in the end opted for the motorsport approach...

Pedro
  18. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

[Mar 10, 2008]
    Has to be GTi, unfortunately - ask anybody with even a passing interest in cars what a GTi is and they will all know. Ask the same person what a quattro is and some of them may know that it means 4 wheel drive, but very few will know what the original quattro was.

People may argue that the GTi brand has been diluted by use on the Polo, but the quattro name has been more diluted now that you can get it on every model in the Audi range. The quattro name is now associated with the technology and not the model.

In saying that, all rally fans will hold the quattro name up there with those of the 6R4, Scooby and Evo.
  19. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

[Mar 10, 2008]
    Just on a point of order.... a GTDi is not a GTi, so you may have him on this one!
  20. PNH80

[Mar 10, 2008]
    Some good comments and based on those who have posted it's a more even split than i expected. I thought the GTI would get every vote! I wonder what the result would have been if i'd put Ford's 'RS' in there too...
    I think where we can all agree is that the brand names have been massively over-used and have probably lost a bit of meaning over the decades.
  21. JimmyJames

JimmyJames Jas.

[Mar 10, 2008]
    GTI. Its the whole Genre beginning on why many of us are here but "Fire Up The Quattro".
  22. Nutkins

Nutkins Member

[Mar 10, 2008]
    I think 'Golf GTI' has has a certain magic becuase of the MK1 that is uneffected by the whole Metro / Polo / whatever GTI etc devaluing thing (and even the mk3 and 4 Golfs devaluing thing for that matter!)
  23. kanievsky

kanievsky Member

[Mar 10, 2008]
    It is NOT it`s basically VW`S 4MOTION (sort of), they called it QUATTRO for marketing purposes.
  24. PNH80

[Mar 11, 2008]
    Hmm, depends how you look at it. Yes it's not the Torsen set up which we all know is more of a true 4WD system but the Haldex system has it's own definite advantages. It's more of a modern day adaptive system, more suited to everyday tarmac driving. You don't need power at all 4 wheels 100% of the time doing the commute to work! The Haldex controller supplied as stock, i admit is probably too front wheel drive-based and doesn't use the rear enough to be accepted as a 'real' quattro. However... With an upgraded, more proactive and agressive Haldex controller installed i honestly believe it's the better system for most everyday purposes. It's there when you need it on a slick surface or hard acceleration and yet it's not guzzling your petrol needlessly about town.
    But is it 'quattro' by the true original definition? No probably not.
  25. PNH80

[Mar 11, 2008]
    P.S. Quattro is Audi's blanket trademark name for all it's 4x4 vehicles. Nothing to do with which system it uses at all (Haldex or Torsen or otherwise). So it's not just marketing, it's always been that way. Quite a few Audi vehicles use slightly re-worked 4WD systems based on the 2 basic types e.g the RS4 and RS6's 4WD system differs considerably from the standard quattro models.....And Audi are changing it again next year introducing a new more advanced system. So lets be honest... Even the 'real' modern day quattro models share little or nothing in common with the original. But it's 28 years old so i should hope not! In fact i think systems will become more progressive with regards to moving power around the wheels and in that respect may become closer to Haldex than Torsen in the future.... Just look at the Veyron (heavily reworked Haldex system).

Just my thoughts!!
  26. sleep envy

sleep envy Member

27. ADEY

ADEY Member

[Mar 11, 2008]
    GTI for me..................iwould think (apart from enthusiasts) not many people know what Quattro is/means