More S3 Drama

Ooooooh, everyone say hello to my (very patient and understanding) missus, who seems to keep an eye on this thread after I sent her the link to her for photos....

Just got this email: "Get off the Audi site and do some work!!! xx" meaning I've been rumbled....

Whooops!!!...

Ok, heres one for the missus then lol...

What turbo love???
20090913_CRW_3638.jpg

<tuffty/>

She'll be mightily confused by that...

We are talking about a woman who managed to write off 2 cars in 3 weeks. Impressive by anyone's standards....lol

I am going to get SUCH an *** kicking for this!! :)

Also - For anyone wanting to do SAI removal - I have an unneeded Forge SAI blanking plate. £20 new, yours for £30. I mean £10 delivered.

I appear to have jizzed in my pants.... Best get cleaned up and working on this damn motor of mine! :)

Evening all.....

Well, she runs. Sounds much sweeter than it did with the other head as well. Started first turn of the key with no issues.

I am cream crackered!! Going to finish up tomorrow night and get it back on it's wheels. Will road test Friday. Well nervous about road testing it after last first start. Fingers crossed....

Here are some new photies.....

34.jpg

AGU head skimmed and back.

35.jpg

APY head with AGU (big port) inlet mani gasket. Outlines the difference pretty well....

36.jpg

Close up of the above.

37.jpg

Engine complete - and running!

Well anyway, I'm going to enjoy my Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodle and glass of red vino. My god I know how to live....

you sick monkey. top skills on getting it running!

bet youre absolutely dying to get it out on the road again

Suggestion:
unplug n75 electrically for your initial road tests... and take vagcom
then once you have got a heat cycle into the engine, come back and spanner check it..

then reconnect N75 and go logging - tentatively..
log 001, 031,020, and 001,031,115

bell me as usual if you need guidance

Suggestion:
unplug n75 electrically for your initial road tests... and take vagcom
then once you have got a heat cycle into the engine, come back and spanner check it..

then reconnect N75 and go logging - tentatively..
log 001, 031,020, and 001,031,115

bell me as usual if you need guidance

Suggestion duly noted and will be acted upon. Planning a thousand miles of tickling anyway since all the bottom end is new.

Interesting suggestion, Bill, if you unplug the connection to the N75, will it just remain open and effectively run on wastegate pressure only?

Interesting suggestion, Bill, if you unplug the connection to the N75, will it just remain open and effectively run on wastegate pressure only?

Thats exactly right - it will only ever get to about 6 psi of boost... Bill doesn't trust me. Understandably. lol.

Sounds like a great way for me to reduce my weekly spend on fuel! I might unplug it for commuting and see how i get on!

Bill doesn't trust me. Understandably. lol.

fpmsl

fair play toy you sir for getting it all back running again, the first couple of miles is gonna have your ******* twitching like **** i bet lol
nice idea from bill to disconnect n75 though

cheers for the comparison pic too mate, unbelievable the difference in sizes

Yeah, it a bit like that. My mate asked me a minute ago whether I was looking forward to driving it. I said yes and no all at the same time.

Yes because I've missed it, and no because I am incredibly nervous!

Its not out of the woods really until a few thousand down the line and is still working properly!

Got a few final bits to do tonight, like refit the arch lining, the bumper and the plastic top (b*stard) cam belt cover - then we're good for a test run on Friday night....

EDIT: And scan for fault codes! And refit the cam pickup sensor plug!

Only a few bits though, shouldn't take long.

wow, i just finished reading through all 7 pages.. i admire the patience you have despite the bad luck you have had. Keep up the good work mate and im sure you will be rewarded. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread..:icon_thumright:

Evening loyal followers.... lol.

Well. A peaceful and relaxed night for me. Fired it up, all was good. Gave her a bit of a gentle rev - oil pressure warning came on. Switched off and left for a few mins, then fired back up, did the same and no problems.... Odd. Scanned with VAG COM, nothing logged for it - not many codes in general actually. Mostly what you'd expect after whipping the lump out. So god knows.

All prepped for test run tomorrow night now, I'm nervous already.... Need to install my sticker to the back window as well in prep for the next 1000 miles....

Bumper back on as well now. Had to trim it to fit, I'd totally forgotten we hadn't actually fitted it after the intercooler was fitted. Some light trimming required, but on OK now. She's back on her wheels now as well for the first time in nearly 3 weeks.

So - I'm off to bed to try and get some shut eye. It's going to be a long day at work tomorrow waiting to get home!

A few pics:

39.jpg

Not seen her looking like this for a little while. Well pleased with the fit of the cooler as well! Even though it has ended up costing me about £1700.

38.jpg

I am going to make this into a nice memento. Fit the gudgeon to the piston and rod and glue in position. Glue the valve into the top of the head, even though it doesn't really come out due to the nice hole it's made in the piston. Then bolt the rod to a piece of polished wood. Job done.

Well done mate... small initial problem that turned into an epic... nearly as many pages as my entire build thread!!!

Hope it goes well for you on the maiden voyage, I remember turning my car over for the first time after the conversion... scary moment...

<tuffty/>

Well done mate... small initial problem that turned into an epic... nearly as many pages as my entire build thread!!!

Hope it goes well for you on the maiden voyage, I remember turning my car over for the first time after the conversion... scary moment...

<tuffty/>

Cheers bud, and thanks for the support. Lets hope I don't need any more! lol.

And most of the pages here are general chit chat! lol.

LOL, innit... moral support for your cause mate...

I am thinking of starting one for my Mk2 Golf as I have to replace every single sodding hard brake line for the MOT due to corrosion... if I don't then I can't do the next bit of work to the S3 :(

Gonna be bending and flaring like a mad man LOL

<tuffty/>

I'd highly recommend it..... Makes you feel so much better having people to moan to, who actually know and care what you're on about!!

All the brake lines? WOW what a fun job that will be..... NOT!

brake lines are a ****. i have bad memories of a noon putting new lines in the front of a mk2 a few years back. ill have to get some pics up

as for the s3. i wouldnt have been able NOT to drive it!

well done mate, hope the test run goes well tonight...:icon_thumright:
by the way that pic looks like you have the car in the kitchen or something...!!!!:)

well done mate :applaus:
intercooler looks good seems everyone is leaving the middle grill out to does look good might do mine when i have the bumper off soon,

i dont think i would. stones would slaughter the cooler. sure it looks more bling but its function over form unless youre wierd!

wow, i just finished reading through all 7 pages.. i admire the patience you have despite the bad luck you have had. Keep up the good work mate and im sure you will be rewarded. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread..:icon_thumright:

I couldn't agree more! Good luck on your test drive!

39.jpg

OMG!

Thats not a NUFC badge is it:sadlike:

Yes it is, although I'm not a supporter! It was on these plates when they came on the car. I cut the back one down, but the front one has loads of holes behind it so I couldn't. I'll get some new plates ASAP!

did your oil pressure light go out in the end welly?

I turned her off as soon as it came on. It only did it the first time I gave it a rev - and there was plenty of oil kicking about up top.

Anyway, fired it back up and repeated the test and it didn't come up. So pass on that one. We'll see later on I guess.

well done mate :applaus:
intercooler looks good seems everyone is leaving the middle grill out to does look good might do mine when i have the bumper off soon,

Cheers bud. Taking the middle grille out wasn't a choice - twas a lack of options! The ****** thing wouldn't fit in, I could of trimmed it but couldn't be *****, so I just took it out. I wouldn't of out of choice to be honest.

Wow ... I have been reading this for the last couple of days... good luck with that test drive... I've been there before listening for the smallest noise or checking for oil leaks, its not nice!!

by the way that pic looks like you have the car in the kitchen or something...!!!!:)

I only just saw this - its my garage believe it or not, we had it all kitted out with the old kitchen units. Better than just lobbing them, and it's a handy place to keep all my kit! :)