More S3 Drama

I put all the tools away this morning, all present and correct. I couldn't believe it!
worst part of any job, i hate packing the crap away.

the s4 engine bay has consumed a fair few of by bits. if you drop anything, it wont drop out the other side

Whos the window licker in the pic welly? lmao.

Oni joking mate. Car looks well.

Evening all - be en out for a nice loooooooooooong drive 2nite and racked up 150 miles. Was good to be back in the driving seat of the S3, it's mad how different to the A3 it realy is to drive and be inside, despite being basically the same. A totally different place to be.

Anyway, smoke has cleared up now - no smell of burnin oil from the exhaust now - just smells like a realy nice mixture which is good. Oil and water both fine so all gets a big thumbs up from me. So far so good.

Also, since driving it like a granny and not taking it post 3000 RPM, I've managed a nice 32.8 to the gallon - a new personal best..... lol.

All in all, not a bad way to spend a Sunday evening, we went from Stroud to Cirenester, Swindon, Devizes, Trowbridge and then back to Stroud! Total mileage 152 miles.

Will keep you posted on progress.....

That sounds good dude! Its a good feeling to drive your car knowing that you put the work into making it better. Atleast you know now the condition of the engine. Did you have a sneak around the engine bay to see if anything else needed changing whilst the lump was out? When i took my fiesta's engine out i changed lots including that stupid silly anti roll bar bushes because they are IMPOSSIBLE to change otherwise. The buggers took ages because they're right next to the body but much easier to do with the engine out.

600 miles passed tonight and I'm beginning to press the engine a bit more now....

Feels like it's going to go well so I'm happy! lol

Fixed a really annoying boost leak tonight as well...
:icon_thumright:

where was the boost leak mate?

when you gonna give it a good thrash then, 1000 miles?

oh, what happened to head that got smashed mate, you get shot of it?

where was the boost leak mate?

when you gonna give it a good thrash then, 1000 miles?

oh, what happened to head that got smashed mate, you get shot of it?

No, I've still got the damaged head.

Good thrash will, indeed, be 1000 miles after an oil change - the ****** boost leak was the TB - Inlet Manifold gasket having a blow - made a new one out of a Cocoa Pops packet! Old skool fix! :)

No, I've still got the damaged head.

Good thrash will, indeed, be 1000 miles after an oil change - the ****** boost leak was the TB - Inlet Manifold gasket having a blow - made a new one out of a Cocoa Pops packet! Old skool fix! :)

loving the bodge job there mate, awesome bit of ingenuity!!

I may have done that more than once in the past..... lol.

Best ever bodge for me was on the a3 when I bought it. It came with new discs and pads - but the pads had had the wires for the sensor cut off so the light was on (Annoying? Yes!).

Anyway, I got a paperclip, bent it round and fed it into the 2 ports on the plug to complete the circuit - bit of bodge tape to secure, job done!!

Ive known people use kellogs box's to fix a head gasket leak on a mk2 fiesta, i ****** myself at them.

nothing wrong with a cardboard gasket for something like that. its what Mcguiver would do

Except McGuiver would do it only with a swiss army knife and it would have some sort of lethal capacity to it as well as being just a gasket.

Except McGuiver would do it only with a swiss army knife and it would have some sort of lethal capacity to it as well as being just a gasket.

LOL,Yeah, it would have some kind of sugar injection capability to stop the car running if needs be....

Thats why you'd rather have a bowl of coco pops... (so you can finish the packet and fix your s3) :)

i may be seeing you over the next few weeks then.. still useless havent had time to pop into manny's..!!!

Well good peoples - I will be hitting the 1000 mile mark today. On the way to work this morning it ticked over 980 so no problemo (I have to go to the post office to post Dani_B19's new foglights firstly!).

Will be dropping the oil tonight and replacing with non gash stuff. The oil in the AGU block when we took it apart was awful - that smell of congealed old oil. Nasty.

Will also be flushing the coolant out as there is a bit of residual oil in there from where oil has pottered off down the water ways on the numerous heads removals.

Other than that - not much to report to be honest. Will be taking a few final photos tonight to share with you all, but then maybe we can draw a line under this thread! lol.

Once the A3 is gone I will be getting Bill to put CC Phase 2 on the old girl as punishment!

:)

PS. No misfires so far......

Nice, cant wait to get them :).

Glad the cars running sweet dude.

you back to full boost?

Yes indeed I am mate, have been for the last 500 miles now giving it little bits in moderation. It's a progressive thing - there's no point in drving it like a granny for 1000 miles then caning the life out of it..... Needs to be brought on over the run in IMO.

Welly, nice one mate, is that your bargain Ebay oil you sticking in to treat her?

Indeed it will be..... or not so much of a bargain as the case may be! lol. Could of got it cheaper.... Still, at least this way it gets delivered to my house and I don't have to move my lazy ***!!

Nice, cant wait to get them :).

Glad the cars running sweet dude.

They're on their way.... Posted at 10 this morning so you should have them tomorrow really. I made the woman plaster it in Fragile stickers! lol

Its was good to see/hear her running when you pulled up at Bills, i prob should have introduced myself.lol

Sometime conveneiece is what gets us all dude, dont worry

Damn my car! lol.

1000 miles been and gone..... Oil changed, filter changed, all good.

However, ****** window reg clips bust 2nite. Deep joy. What a fun fix that is.

I love the legendary German reliability..... It's fantastic.

Not.

Damn my car! lol.

Not.

At least this one's not an engine out job...

Cheers,

Damn my car! lol.

Not.

ahhhhh.... back to normal Audi ownership issues then :)

<tuffty/>

these cars sound terrible! i used to do a lot of work on a couple of my friends a3s and then we slowly lost touch.

maybe the a3 is from audi's equivalent to mercedes really bad era. at least you dont get rust though

A3/Golf4/Octavia/leon - all shyte window reg clips..

common components in the group.. blight most models when they are crappy design/manufactured

thanks Vag

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

The oil that came out of the engine wasn't pretty... The AGU engine on installation was a bit gopping if we're being honest, so was glad to get rid of that.

Have also found a few other odds and sods that need doing. Fixed one boost leak last night just to then get another elsewhere! Still, I'll get there in the end.

You will all be glad to know that the NUFC front plate has gone in the bin! lol

I've got a few final photos to put up before we call it a day with this, but they're on my camera, which is at home. Will do later on this evening....

42.jpg

Good work there :) Once the creases are ironed out it'll be time to just enjoy it :)

As for the window clips...mine went and it was a pain in the *** everytime I went to work as its a key pad entry...so out of the car everytime to put the code in :(

I had the regulator changed and its sorted it out but its got a bit of a creak on the way up...it'll do though :)

Ha ha, I had a brown trousers moment this morning on the way to work.

Gave it a bit up a hill and she starting running on 3. Oh dear....

Anyways, pulled to a stop and jumped out to have a quick look under the bonnet, couldn't see anything wrong. Flicked the plugs of the coils to find it was cyl 1's coil not firing.

Tickled her home and changed out for a spare. All good.

PHEW!

Never, have I ever been so happy for a problem to be a shafted coil!!

Haven't posted on this thread for a while..... lol.

Still going OK and happy - so far so good!!

Just been out and have done some performance logging.

Well pleased actually, all the way through, requested vs actual boost were sticking together quite nicely at about 19.5 PSI. This looks to me like there is no boost leaks :)

Also - Mass Flow was 210.44 g/s. Really pleased with that. On the old engine I never managed to get above 197 g/s. So thats a fairly hefty increase in the air she's shifting through.

:icon_thumright:

happy days then mate, glad the drama is over for you, turned into a bit of a mare didnt it lol

you putting in an appearance at the gti spring festival, few weeks from now?

I can hear Bill's voice in my head.... "time for a large port tuffty...."

<tuffty/>