More Powerful Version of the 2.0TDi 170

DIESEL POWER

Member | Joined 2006
Reaction score
Was looking through the list of Volkswagen engines on wikipedia, specifically at the 2.0TDi 170…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_engines#134-170_hp_2.0_TDI

…where it says “There will be an even more powerful version of this engine for new Audi TT.

:wtf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_TT

On the TT page, under second generation it says “An upgraded 4-cylinder TDI is also planned with an output more than the current top-of-the-line 125 kW (170 hp) model.”

Can anyone substantiate this or shed any light? Surely if this were the case it would be available for the A3 and other models and would have been common knowledge before now!

Diesel in a TT, i'm just off to post in the tt-forum for a wind up! :gun2:

Would be interested to see a more powerful 2.0ltr diesel though!

should be the new common rail diesel they should be introducing in a year or 2 (200bhp i think)

Have heard about a new 2.0 diesel from Audi. BMW already have a 200bhp 2.0 in the wings so Audi need to keep up.

DIABLO636 said:
should be the new common rail diesel they should be introducing in a year or 2 (200bhp i think)

I should hope so. As Macduff said, Audi need to pull up there socks because there getting left behind...

Yes, I have heard of a more powerful version of the 2.0 TDI engine, if I remember correctly, I read it from a magazine introducing the new Q5.

Macduff said:
Have heard about a new 2.0 diesel from Audi. BMW already have a 200bhp 2.0 in the wings so Audi need to keep up.

BMW already have a 200bhp 2.0 diesel (sort of)
The Alpina D3 puts out 200bhp,whilst still keeping CO2 down to 156.
I suppose they could be introducing that engine into the normal range,although I don't suppose Alpina would be too happy !
They've also recently upped the power of the 118/318 diesel to 143bhp,whilst reducing Co2 to really low levels at the same time,using their stop/go technology.
Bit of a 'holy grail' that.
More power AND less Co2.

Don't think I can wait that long for the more powerful Diesel, i'm still gonna go ahead and make my TDI the best in it's class (hopefully).
And I definitely ain't going BMW, not because I dislike them, just the I love Audi more =)

emzino said:
i'm still gonna go ahead and make my TDI the best in it's class (hopefully).

How do you propose to do that then ?
You can make it more powerful,yes,but you can't make it quieter than a BMW or Honda diesel.
Most powerful doesn't mean 'best'.

Would really be interested in buying a diesel TT...believe it when i see it though!!!

A diesel TT seems a very plausible proposition... As far I'm concerned, completely spoils the purpose of the car but diesel engines are getting better everyday and with better fueleconomy... If they only invested mor money developing the petrol engines as they spend developing diesels...

I prefer petrol anyday, but diesels are getting there... Nothing will beat a petrol engine... I will correct my quote when I see a 1.5L Turdodiesel with more than 1000hp!! We had petrol like those...

Pedro

yeh they will be talking about the new commonrail diesels planned for the next couple of years. BMW are shortly releasing a 204bhp dual turbo (like the 335d/535d but 2.0, so audi will need to do something to keep up

bowfer said:
BMW already have a 200bhp 2.0 diesel (sort of)
The Alpina D3 puts out 200bhp,whilst still keeping CO2 down to 156.
I suppose they could be introducing that engine into the normal range,although I don't suppose Alpina would be too happy !

The new one's a 204bhp 2.0 I4. I imagine Alpina will find a way to get some more power out of it.

It's going to appear in the ugly new 1 series coupe as the 123d

BMW News

newbiecrg said:
A diesel TT seems a very plausible proposition... As far I'm concerned, completely spoils the purpose of the car

Alfa Romeo owners were horrified at the thought of diesel engines,but they're now their biggest selling models.
Times change.
Manfacturers are being forced to produce more models with under 140g/km Co2 ratings.
Hard to do,unless you go diesel.

I now diesel models sell better not because of the extra thrill when driving but because are cheaper on fuel.... Being a purist I will always prefer a petrol engine on a sports car. I reckon that modern diesels are excellent engines with lots of torque but it is a personal choice in this matter. For me sports car = petrol. But, yes, diesels are very good.

Some persons might prefer to drive the diesel way, that is fine. But if it costed the same to drive a 3.2 V6 petrol or the equivalent diesel I think most people would prefer the petrol one...

Pedro

newbiecrg said:
But if it costed the same to drive a 3.2 V6 petrol or the equivalent diesel I think most people would prefer the petrol one...

True,Pedro,but as we say up here "If your granny had balls,she'd be your grandad" ;-)
I think people's reasons for buying diesels are changing though.
I don't think it's purely down to cost savings any more.
I think many people are buying for environmental reasons too.
If you can make GBP40.00 of fuel last 500 miles,instead of 250 miles,then you are reducing your carbon footprint.
The reduced Co2 emissions also attract people,from a 'green' point of view.

I went for the diesel because I actually think its more fun to drive. I enjoy having all that torque available when I'm feeling lazy, and when I am in the mood then it is great on a wet and windy road. Switch the TC off and the front of the car feels excitingly edgy with all that torque in the curves. This might not be everybodies cup of tea though.

And the low Co2 emissions are good for tax, and are an easy win.